skin problems since using dermalogica??

Hi all

I had a Dermalogica facial a month ago and they recommended I use their sensitive skin products so have been using their cleaner,toner and moisturizer once a day since.

I normally have ok skin, but since using it I've had a few breakouts. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure if it is just something I just have to go through to sort my skin out, but it is getting a bit depressing!

Thanks

• I had the exact ame experience. I was told i had sensitive skin (which i don't think i have) .

I bought the whole range of products and within 3 days my skin was wrecked!!!!!!

I couldn't work out which of the products was the main culprit and in the end i worked out it was the ultra calming cleanser.

It took me about 3 months to get my skin back to normal.

I felt so strongly about the product that i wrote a scathing review on makeupalley about the cleanser:

I was recommended this product after a Dermalogica Facial. It felt ok for a couple of days but after that it really started to upset my skin. It dried and irritated my skin and by the end of the day my skin felt so tight and uncomfortable that all i could think about was cleansing and moisturising my face to make it feel comfortable again. For a product that was supposed to be for sensitive skin i can't believe how harsh it was! I have never ever had a reaction to a product as severe as this before. 2 weeks after i have stopped using it my skin is still not back to normal.....i wish i had NEVER used this product!
  • That is extremely unusual for anyone to have a reaction to any dermalogica products as they contain no fragrance, alcohols, etc especially the ultracalming cleanser. If you change from one product to a new one then it is more than likely that you will have breakouts as your skin needs to get used to it. Mrssweets08 which moisturiser was you using, barrier repair? xxx
  • I had similar experiences with Dermalogica - their 'special cleanser' caused havoc with my skin, whilst the medibac was fine.... I went for a facial and told it was drying my skin out, so changed to the Special and within days I had awful break outs....eek!

I reverted back to Eve Lom now - no problems, no dryness, no break outs.

I would just remember that despite products which are expensive / advertised a lot etc, at the end of the day are skins respond to different products in different ways....

image)

xXx
  • Hi

I think this is probably due to the good quality of the cleansing ingredients bringing out old debris to the surface and hence spots.

If i were you I would persevere for at least a month but longer if possible as your skin will settle down.

If its still a problem I would go back to the consultant and discuss it. It could be one product that is the problem but if the ones they chose are wrong for your sking that's not fair and they should offer to compensate you in some way.

I have to say now my skin has settled into dermalogica it is much clearer, calmed and healthy looking.

My skin is quite sensitive and yet oily due to medication so it always flares up but I didn't find this on dermalogica - just got a few breakouts which were eased away by the sebum-clearing masque they gave me at the salon after my facial.
  • madstephmadsteph Posts: 524
    Hiya,

Was wondering if anyone can help me..I use 3 dermalogica products - the essential cleansing solution, daily microfoliant and the barrier repair. I have no problems using the cleanser but after using it my face looks a bit red and certain blotches stand out..by the time i've used the microfoliant its calmed down a bit but then when i go to use the barrier repair, as much as it makes my skin feel really soft, I still find that either the first or second product has dried my skin out loads and that the barrier repair can't seem to sort it all out..

Is it the cleansing solution causing the problem do u think?
  • hi

i think i might know why this is happening

it happened to me when i started using derm. but since i seeked proper advice it has all stopped and my skin is now totally clear and much healthier

it will take ur skin a bit of time to adjust but when u are using the clenser u have to soak ur face in water then really foam up the clenser in your hands with loads of water before rubbing it onto ur face

if u put the clenser straight onto ur skin with little or no water then it will totally dry out ur skin

my beautician told me this but of course i didnt listen properly and had to learn the hard way.

to be honest i find it a bit of a pain coz then ur hair gets wet and as u know thats not so good even with the GHDs haha but i just bought a towelled head band or do it bath or shower and i have to say its really good.

hope this helps or if u r already doin this then ive no idea

• kirk110480kirk110480 Posts: 3,339
    I've started using Dermalogica and was originally very impressed with all their natural ingrediants, but since looking at the label of the special cleansing gel, I was gutted to find it uses SLS (sodium laueth sulphate)!!! The skin around my eyes ahve also felt very itchy and tight and the only change in my routine has been using Dermalogica, so I'm going to give it a rest for a couple of weeks and return to my previous 100% natural range (by Handmade Naturals) and see if the itchy goes away. xx
  • clareabellaclareabella Posts: 3,001
    I've spent a fortune on dermalogica products and i have to say that they don't seem any better than standard, off the shelf products, they do bring out the rubbish to start with so your skin looks worse at first, but didn't really help to clear it up afterwards. I have since found a chinese herbal soap that has cleared up my face and seems to be doing just fine now! The dermalogica bottles are now sat gathering dust!!!
  • I tried Dermologica and it made my skin worse - really deep spots which took ages to clear up. Ended up going back to the salon I bought the products from and they said that Dermologica have a money back guarantee so refunded my money!
  • I have used the skin exfoliant and have suffered a terrible breakout, not sure if this is a good thing or not.

[Modified by: Foxy_Emma on March 31, 2009 09:18 PM]

• Hi girls..sorry to hear your all having problems with Dermalogica. I have struggled with my skin for years (antibiotics and potions!) and dermalogica is the only thing that has sorted my skin out..its fantastic for me!!! I use the prep scrub, special cleansing gel, active moist (however on to a thicker one now skin smoothing cream as i feel the wrinkles forming!) and a face mask. The only one product i didnt stick with was pre cleanse...it caused major spots! A beatician told me it was deep cleaning all the underlying dirt out and to persevere..but no i stopped that one. Keep trying if you can...my skin has never looked so good and spot free..good luck girls!! xx
  • I just had to join in this topic! I was once a user of dermalogica, i switched to it from clinique after someone recommended a facial. I was living in london at the time so my skin was a bit all over the place from the dirt and pollution. I spent the whole 6 months on their special cleanser, micro exfoliant thing and an spf moistuiser, switching between a few products every now and again. I even had a deep cleansing facial every 6 weeks. Unfortunately my skin stayed irritable and my acne became redder. I went to the doctors and tried steroid creams and even went on the pill. Nothing... image After returning from London i still saw little improvement so randomly bought freederm afer seeing an advert. I noticed a difference straight away. I then got recommended Decleor from a beauty therepist and switched everything, bought the whole range reccommended to me from the John Lewis counter. I can honestly say i have never looked back! I even have people asking ME for skin care tips and i get complemented on my skin all the time. In my eyes its still not perfect but i never get any spots anymore and my scarring has virtually disappeared! But everyones skin is different...though i will add, a friend of mine is still on dermalogica and her skin never looks smooth under makeup and she says its hormonal, but i still think dermalogica may not be helping x
  • I had my first dermalogica facial yesterday in countdown for my Sept wedding, as my skin has been getting worse recently with more breakouts and becoming drier, sensitive and irritable (which may be the toner I'm currently using). My sil2b recommended them as its the only brand thats cleared her sisters skin, and when I saw her I'd never have guessed she has problem skin - it was glowing, smooth and gorgeous.

Anyway my skin felt great after the facial - and so far this morning no extra breakouts! I was recommended the new mediBac clearing range and the gentle cream exfoliant. I've only got the starter pack to get on with, so I'm going to be interested to see if I have the same problems - although these might be expected when changing products I'd have no idea how long they're supposed to last? Guess I'll wait and see if any problems appear and ask at my next facial.
  • amandahullamandahull Posts: 115
    Hi, I use dermalogica products. A few days after my first facial I did have a few small spots but they went within a few days & my skin felt great & looked so much better!
  • mojobellmojobell Posts: 255
    Having worked as a therapist fof over 10 years I have used most of the big names out there, it really is a suck it and see approach different things suit different skins. Yes sometimes if you have facials things get worse before it gets better. There are some brands out there i would never recommend to my clients as they damage the skin but on a whole find a reputable salon to give you advice.
  • yogibearuk1yogibearuk1 Posts: 402
    I would never use this again, made my skin terrible i came up in a rash it was awful........never again for me but everyones skin is different xx
  • Hi guys I need help too! 

I had a dermalogica facial back in September which caused me to break out severly because  it was a deep cleanse facial ... The therapist recommended I switch my usual skin Care To Dermologica as I had a lot of congestion and dehydration in my skin. Now, I've been to the dermologica clinic to get advice and the therapist advised me the same thing... But added that I had combination skin. I spent £230 on skin care and was sold the following the products , pre cleanse, ultracalming gel, skin smoothing cream, gentle cream exfoliant and skin perfect primer. Now at first my skin felt really fresh and clean, but when I awoke in the morning I found large spots on my chin, cheek, upper lip and forehead... I waited a few days but everyday I woke up to a new spot.... I was furious because I spent all that money and things were getting worse. I used the overnight clearing gel but still nothing. I don't know what to do image its been two weeks .... My skin was never this bad! I only used the pre cleanse and ultra calming... I'm so depressed because I'm getting married in two weeks!!! 

Please advise! my skin type is sensitive, oily t zone but dryness on forehead . I used to have a simple skin care routine before .. I washed my face with pears soap and uses a sanctuary mosturiser. I thought dermalogica would make my skin perfect as I only had minor random spots and whiteheads on my chin but everyday I wake up to more spots.... What do I do! Please help! I'm getting married in 2months and I want clear skin! image so upset and depressed.... 

• I am the same as many people here. I have to say that Dermalogic products may work wonders for some but do not work for others at all. My face went all out in red splotches if I ued any of the products, so I have ended up with a whole stash or products in my bathroomimage The thing that really worked for me was going to a facial clinic, where she used a natural vitamin treatment for three weeks on my face and it seriosly all went away. If you are in Finland I would reccommend going to Sarah Paz, but elsewhere I would looks for a beauty clinic that has Babor products. I have been since using a cleanser and a moisturiser along with tablets and avitcid cream from the doctor and it has all worked. After approx a year I am now up to the stage of getting off the tablets and stuff because I dont want to have the stress of waiting to eat anymore ;D Do not get sucked in to any of the skin products out there, all they want to do is to get your money and sell you cleanign products that are all too harsh for your skin. Please, I beg you. Give the skin clinic a call image) I have been through acne my whole life, and now I am so confident and able to look at my face in the mirror and store windows and smile image

• I am the same as many people here. I have to say that Dermalogic products may work wonders for some but do not work for others at all. My face went all out in red splotches if I ued any of the products, so I have ended up with a whole stash or products in my bathroomimage The thing that really worked for me was going to a facial clinic, where she used a natural vitamin treatment for three weeks on my face and it seriosly all went away. If you are in Finland I would reccommend going to Sarah Paz, but elsewhere I would looks for a beauty clinic that has Babor products. I have been since using a cleanser and a moisturiser along with tablets and avitcid cream from the doctor and it has all worked. After approx a year I am now up to the stage of getting off the tablets and stuff because I dont want to have the stress of waiting to eat anymore ;D Do not get sucked in to any of the skin products out there, all they want to do is to get your money and sell you cleanign products that are all too harsh for your skin. Please, I beg you. Give the skin clinic a call image) I have been through acne my whole life, and now I am so confident and able to look at my face in the mirror and store windows and smile image