Tips on growing nails

I'd like to know this too!! I know so far about soaking in warm olive oil or almond oil and using a nail hardener.

• AnnaNicole1AnnaNicole1 Posts: 2,435
    Massage them everday this will bring nutrients, blood an oxygen to the area. Also if you want to grow them but have nail biting tendancies try having a gel, fibreglass or silk overlays, Dont have acrylic as they use primer an this is what damages the nail. Overlays are put over ur natural nail to add strength to be able to let them grow with out them breaking xx

P.S i'm a nail tech so any other question u have just ask away image x

[Modified by: AnnaNicole on December 29, 2009 01:20 PM]

• How do you massage them? (Stupid Question!)

Cx
  • Ames_23Ames_23 Posts: 140
    Use nail hardener, I used rimmel and within 2 weeks they were very strong and then they grow and dont snap!xx
    Quoted:
    How do you massage them? (Stupid Question!)

Cx

It's not a stupid question hun image Just rub ur thumb over the top of the nail with good pressure not too much an not too softly image x

You can also buff them with buffing paste/cream an using a chamois buffer, but go in one flowing movement don't do sawing motions as this can use heat and friction. xx
  • Also use a soft nail file, Boots do a pack of 2 for 99p, under no circumstances should you use a metal nail file !!

They're too hard for the nail & make them splinter & give them a rough finish.

They're like your hair, the more you care for them the more they'll grow !!
  • Quoted:
    Quoted:

Cx

It's not a stupid question hun image Just rub ur thumb over the top of the nail with good pressure not too much an not too softly image x

You can also buff them with buffing paste/cream an using a chamois buffer, but go in one flowing movement don't do sawing motions as this can use heat and friction. xx

Thanks! I always go in a sawing motion! imageops: I am going to start doing that now and see how it goes. Would like to have gels done for the big day but not sure how it would be. (might get a practice on them soon) as I had eczema in my nail bed and my nails are prone to splitting at the nail bed, growing in bumpy and being generally to thin. But you never know, this just might work! image

Cx
  • kdubs - i too am a nail biter. set yourself the target of not biting your nails for 2 weeks. this is not a long time and after the 2 weeks your nails will have nice white bits on the ends and you will find it easy not to bite them because they look so nice. (after that, keep them short for a few months to strengthen them). if they get too long too soon they will keep breaking and cracking at the edges.
  • eat tons of oily fish (mackrel and salmon) and your nails will improve and grow
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Cx

Thanks! I always go in a sawing motion! imageops: I am going to start doing that now and see how it goes. Would like to have gels done for the big day but not sure how it would be. (might get a practice on them soon) as I had eczema in my nail bed and my nails are prone to splitting at the nail bed, growing in bumpy and being generally to thin. But you never know, this just might work! image

Cx

Ahh right. Well if you suffer with what we call '' severe eczema of the nail plate/bed'' then im afraid they can't touch your nails as like u said ur nails split an puttin extra pressure may cause ur naisl to split right the way down. A good nail technician will not touch ur nails unless a GP has said it is ok to do so an again they should not touch them wihtout a note form ur GP saying otherwise.

so i suggest u see ur GP an if they say its ok visit ur local salon an have some gentle manicures to help ur nails.

I hope that helped xxx
  • Quoted:
    Massage them everday this will bring nutrients, blood an oxygen to the area. Also if you want to grow them but have nail biting tendancies try having a gel, fibreglass or silk overlays, Dont have acrylic as they use primer an this is what damages the nail. Overlays are put over ur natural nail to add strength to be able to let them grow with out them breaking xx

AnnaNicole - Can I just say that its quite unfair for you to say Acrylic "damages" your nails because it uses a primer - this is absolutely not true at all. If you work with reputable products and are a professional nail technician, then a customers nails will NEVER get damaged. I have been trained and use products from an award winning company, and the system I use does NOT use a primer (which it wouldnt matter if it did! A primer only helps to dehydrate the nail plate). Just thought I would kindly point this out, its very fustrating when clients come to you refusing to have acrylics because they have been told by another nail tech (who only does gel!) that acrylics wreck your nails!!!

To the original poster - if you can get your hands on Solar Oil - buy it! Its amazing stuff! You can only buy it professionally, but a local salon may sell it. Hth image

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx
  • mubeemubee Posts: 1,039
    Can someone please tell me what the difference is between gel and acrylic. I am getting married in July and would like to go for french tip, but not sure whether to ask for gel or acrylic and would like nice tips as my own nails are not very long at all.

By the way, my nails are starting to grow but never grow very long at all, but i have been rubbing in OPI oil every evening on my nails.

Your advise would be appreicated.

Many thanks

Quoted:
    Quoted:

AnnaNicole - Can I just say that its quite unfair for you to say Acrylic "damages" your nails because it uses a primer - this is absolutely not true at all. If you work with reputable products and are a professional nail technician, then a customers nails will NEVER get damaged. I have been trained and use products from an award winning company, and the system I use does NOT use a primer (which it wouldnt matter if it did! A primer only helps to dehydrate the nail plate). Just thought I would kindly point this out, its very fustrating when clients come to you refusing to have acrylics because they have been told by another nail tech (who only does gel!) that acrylics wreck your nails!!!

To the original poster - if you can get your hands on Solar Oil - buy it! Its amazing stuff! You can only buy it professionally, but a local salon may sell it. Hth image

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

Actually my tutor has said it can damage your nail.

Along with the nail glue it thins ur nail. I use a very good system myself an i know that it can still damage ur nail. An i dont only use gel i use alot of systems thank you. I know alot of people who have acrylics done all the time by very good nail techs an they still have weak nails that need to be artifically strenghtened an it even says this in my Lorraine Nordamnn beauty book, that if you have acrylics you will have to use aritificial strengtheners as they can weaken the nail. So this to me DAMAGES the nail.

You have your opinions on acrylics an i have mine not only from my tutor who has been doing nails for many years but also from my freinds, family and myself who have damaged nails due to acrylics weakening them.
  • Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Cx

Cx

Ahh right. Well if you suffer with what we call '' severe eczema of the nail plate/bed'' then im afraid they can't touch your nails as like u said ur nails split an puttin extra pressure may cause ur naisl to split right the way down. A good nail technician will not touch ur nails unless a GP has said it is ok to do so an again they should not touch them wihtout a note form ur GP saying otherwise.

so i suggest u see ur GP an if they say its ok visit ur local salon an have some gentle manicures to help ur nails.

I hope that helped xxx

ARGH!! That has just put a big spanner in my works. I may pay a little visit to my GP next year (how funny to say that) and see what he says!

Just want them to look nicer than what they are the now, wont be hard!

Thanks for your help! image

Cx
    Your welcome MrsB2b xx
  • I used to have acrylics for all special occasions (prom, weddings, xams etc) so not like a weekly thing. But everytime I had them removed my nails seemed very flakey and soft, and normally I have very strong nails that grow very quickly.

I have now realised that if I look after my nails and get a nice manicure they look nicer and last longer, but I also have long nail bed so when my nails are relatively short, they look long.

xxx