make up advice

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice on make up. I have problem skin, with oily and dry patches and get pimply spots under my skin. Most make ups irritate my face bringing me out in spots or just looks really oily within a few hours. Some one recommended Bare Minerals foundation, has any one used this or can suggest anything else that might be good? x

• camillarose1camillarose1 Posts: 6,254
    Why dont u go and visit some counters hun in the likes of debenhams, house of fraser or john lewis x
  • MrsOge2bMrsOge2b Posts: 162
    I would suggest tackling the skin irritation before experimenting with make up hun. Do you have a good CTM routine?

Although you can get some good skin care advice from the ladies at Bare Minerals too.
  • Thanks, the best CTM products I have found so far have are Olay which still not great. Have spent a fortune over the years on various skin care products that dont seem to make much difference! Tend to avoid make up/skin care counters now -will go back try a few tho. I have PCOS which doesnt help! The pill helped for a while but put on about 2 stone on it!
  • MrsOge2bMrsOge2b Posts: 162
    I suffered terribly a few years ago with adult acne, mainly on the chin and jaw line area. I was sooooo terribly sore and itchy I only made it worse by touching it. I spend a fortune on all sorts of remedies creams and potions. I even bought some salicylic acid to dry and fix it but to no avail! I changed my pill and hey presto it helped straight away. However my skin went from being very oily to very dry...which was awful. I came off that pill to have a baby and I'm on a different one now that seems to have really helped with my skin....its alot clearer...but I started this new pill about the same time I purchased Estee Lauder Pore Minimising Serum and Night Repair (My holy Grail products) It can be an expensive thing trying to balance your skin and getting it healthy, my tips are to stop touching your face if you are...I noticed I was touching my face in the areas where it was spotty, I became concious that I was doing it and put a stop to it....drink lots of water and never sleep with make up on.
  • In all honesty Kellybeinn, I don't think your skin is oily and dry. Many people mistake dry patches as dry skin, and in actual fact, it is rather more 'irrtated' skin resulting in flaking, itching and spots.

The oiliness refers to the activity of your sebaceous glands, whilst the dry patches refers to other conditions such as hot/cold, central heating, air con, products used on your skin, make-up, cleanlinesss of brushes etc....

I think your skin may be oily but sensitive . Rather than looking at what make-up to use, you really need to sort out your skin care routine first. Have you considered visiting a salon for a proper skin analysis so that your skin can be assessed under a magnifying lamp by a professionally trained therapist?

With all respect, it is very difficult to have your skin properly analyzed at a cosmetics counter.
  • sam-jaynesam-jayne Posts: 392
    Quoted:
    Thanks, the best CTM products I have found so far have are Olay which still not great. Have spent a fortune over the years on various skin care products that dont seem to make much difference! Tend to avoid make up/skin care counters now -will go back try a few tho. I have PCOS which doesnt help! The pill helped for a while but put on about 2 stone on it!

Hi there,

I am by no means an expert in skincare or make up for that matter. But I spent years trying to find my perfect products, I eventuall stumbles across Origins, and i Loves it!! All their products are natural ingredients, and make my skin lovely. Obviously everyones skin is different and it may not suit you, but i would dfinately say its worth a try

Good Luck

xxx
  • Thanks for all your advice! Need to get organised and try a few of the products, skin analysis sounds like a good idea too, will look into it. x