Oh no! Help! Hairdresser made my hair a funny colour with a week to go!

Help! So I've been having blonde highlights on my medium brown hair for many years now.

I let them grow out quite a bit and yesterday went to a new hairdresser (what was I thinking?!) to get them re-done. I said I wanted basically what the lower bits of my hair were like.

What I've got is... um... kinda brassy, slightly orange. Aaaaah!

And it's a week til the wedding. Poobumwillies.

People at work say it actually looks fine, just perhaps isn't what I wanted. And I agree that it doesn't look point-and-laugh silly. But I really wanted it to be lovely.

So what should I do? I can't face going back there - don't want them anywhere near my hair! Do i go somewhere else and risk them making it worse? Would it totally kill my hair to add more highlights so soon? Or just leave it and hope I get use to it? Or should I try this purple shampoo I keep reading about?

Has anyone had anything similar? Any advice really appreciated!

• gem112gem112 Posts: 207
    Oh no you poor thing!

First of all, you should go and get your money back. I know it's scary but I've done it before and they're normally fine with it. Or go back and tell them you'd like their senior colourist to correct it for you.

The purple shampoo will take a bit of the yellow out it they used bleach but not tint.

I would get them or someone else to correct it - you don't want to be unhappy with your hair for your big day. Do it sooner rather than later so know where you are.

Can you post a pic so we can see? It might help to get some honest opinions.

Try not to worry - I'm sure you'll look lovely!
  • Oh no - I know it's hard but please go back to the salon and either ask for someone else to correct it or for your money back..............I know its hard because hair is such an emotional/identity thing - especially when you are getting married next week.............

Do you have some pics so we can give you some honest opinions?

I am sure it's not as bad as you think but when its not what you were wanting its always a pretty awful feeling..

The least they can do is put on some salon strength purple products but also a toner would help "settle down" the colour a little

Be brave................. image
  • sarah56uksarah56uk Posts: 69
    Hi i have had this happen to me & its a nightmare - but fixable!! I went to a diff hairdresser & they used wella a fab colour fresh one like the silver/purple shampoos - it was brilliant really freshened my hair up & took away the brassiness, but this will only work each time u wash ur hair, if u leave for a day or so the yellow unfortunately comes creeping back. Im sure u can have more highlights done to break up the colour too, so it would look more creamy blonde rather than brassy. But go back to the hairdressers & say it has NOT turned out how u had asked & would like them to re-do it or at least refund you, its not ur fault it has come out like this!!!

Im sure its not as bad as u think it is, but you need to feel beautiful & comfortable for ur big day, good luck image) xx
  • paulavikipaulaviki Posts: 527
    If it is really orange a toner isn't going to do enough because they haven't lifted enough of the dark colour pigments in your hair out (lightening hair removes black pigment first, then red, then orange then yellow last and people often taken the colour off when it is still working on the orange/yellow). I would definitely go back and get them to correct it, but ask them to do a strand test first so you can check you will be happy with the colour they can achieve.

Whatever you do, let a professional correct it - don't try and sort it out yourself as you might just make it worse.
  • NowMrsB2012NowMrsB2012 Posts: 4,835
    I had a similar problem at a hairdressers. I complained and the highest stylist redid it and it was fab! Dont let them get away with it! If youre not happy you have a right to say so!

Honestly, its worth it to complain!
  • saralovesbensaralovesben Posts: 185
    I also had this, I complained and got my money back, then went elsewhere to get it corrected. I couldn't face going in to complain in person so i sent a letter to their manager instead and got a refund without question.
  • zedi10zedi10 Posts: 241
    complain - then wash your hair with washing up liquid - it strips the colour out, and then start again if you not happy - at a different hairdressers!
  • jolajojolajo Posts: 177
    This happened to me!!! Wedding is this coming Friday and last week my hair was yellow/white (and even a little gingery at the roots)rather than the ash blonde I wanted! I used lots of blue shampoo followed by a box of a darker ash blonde which has more or less sorted it. It will be fine, don't panic! x
  • gem112 said:
    Oh no you poor thing!
    First of all, you should go and get your money back. I know it's scary but I've done it before and they're normally fine with it. Or go back and tell them you'd like their senior colourist to correct it for you.
    The purple shampoo will take a bit of the yellow out it they used bleach but not tint.
    I would get them or someone else to correct it - you don't want to be unhappy with your brassy hair for your big day. Do it sooner rather than later so know where you are.
    They haven't lifted enough of the dark colour pigments in your hair out (lightening hair removes black pigment first, then red, then orange then yellow last and people often taken the colour off when it is still working on the orange/yellow). I would definitely go back and get them to correct it
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,942 New bride
    gem112 said:
    Oh no you poor thing!
    I would get them or someone else to correct it - you don't want to be unhappy with your brassy hair for your big day. Do it sooner rather than later so know where you are.
    They haven't lifted enough of the dark colour pigments in your hair out (lightening hair removes black pigment first, then red, then orange then yellow last and people often taken the colour off when it is still working on the orange/yellow). I would definitely go back and get them to correct it
    It was 8 years ago....