Do you have to pay for your bridesmaids hair/makeup?

I will pay for the bridesmaids hair on the day of course, but do you pay for their make up too? Ill be having my make up done but i dont really want to pay for the others too? Is this unreasonable? Also, do you pay for the bridesmaids hair trial or just on the day? Do they really need a trial?

Thanks ladies!

• imfrylimfryl Posts: 248
    Hiya Danie20uk

I think its a bit of a 50/50 split with regards to people paying for bridesmaids hair/makeup. I am paying for my bridesmaids hair and makeup if they want it (couple of them wont let anyone else do it anyway) but I've also heard of plenty of people who havent. Bridesmaids dont generally have a trial unless either they or the bride specifically request it but in my opinion if they want a trial themselves then they should pay for it.

Hope I've been of some help!
  • Hey,

I am paying for my bridesmaid to have their hair done but t the budget wouldn't stretch to makeup. I was honest with them and told them that if they wanted there's doing then they would have to pay for their own. None of them had a problem with this and they all have ultimately decided to pay for it (no trials though).

Hope this helps!
  • JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737
    I'm probably going to pay for my bridesmaids hair, but not make up. I think if you have a specific way you want their hair to look and make up then it would only be fair to pay for it.

My BM's will choose their own make up and their own hair style as I want them to be comfortable.
  • I think it is definitely okay for you not to pay for your bridesmaids to get their makeup done. I would explain to them that you are paying for their hair to be done, but if they want to have their make up done too they can pay for it. I know as a bridesmaid i've preferred to do my own make up anyway. Not sure about bridesmaids hair trials, i would be tempted to say you should pay for it if they are having them, but if it is going to stretch your budget could you ask them to contribute towards it?
  • When I was bridesmaid we got our hair done-no trial-and did our own make up. The bride is the most important person and I would hope all bridesmaid would agree with that.

At my own wedding I had one bridemaid who was 5. Her mum asked me how I'd like her hair and did it for me. I did my own hair on the day and had a lovely lady do my make and my mums xxx
  • gemskatgemskat Posts: 692
    When I was bridesmaid last the bride paid for my hair and make up, but I did pay for my dress, shoes and jewellery myself. I'm paying for the hair and make up of myself, 2 bridesmaids, my mum and maybe 1 other close family friend if she wants it done. But I'm only paying as I want them to feel special and enjoy it, they can pick their own hairstyle. They wont be having trials though as everyone lives so far away.
  • Mrs MaynesMrs Maynes Posts: 601
    I'm buying the dress, shoes and will pay to get their hair done but they are doing their own make upimage
  • kellyo5kellyo5 Posts: 62
    I was a bridesmaid a few years ago and the bride paid for my hair and makeup + trial so I automatically presumed that's what I should do. I am having 4 bridesmaides so maybe I should rethink about having the trial but then again I want them to feel comfortable and not worried about how they may end up looking on the day.
  • dawnio1977dawnio1977 Posts: 374
    only I am having my hair and makeup done on the day.. but we are going for manicures the day before and i am paying for that. Thats instead of a present though. I am sure mine would rather save £25 on a manicure than have a token present. image

I was my best friends bridesmaid a few years back and i paid for my hair. I did mine and hers make up.

Its whatever works for you. No rules apply. image
  • I am paying for my bridesmaids hair and make up, there are two adults and a ten year old so just a little touch up for the smaller one. This is part of their bridesmaid present and I am also paying for my mum to have her hair and makeup done as part of our wedding 'thankyou' present to her. I think it's a nice idea and 'kills two birds' if you aren't sure about presents for people. x
  • MrsSaranneMrsSaranne Posts: 448
    I've paid for all the bridesmaids' outfits, hair and make-up. No trials though.

I asked them to find pictures of the style of hair they want so that the hairdresser has an idea.

Talk to your bmaids though.
  • I'm having 2 bridesmaids and am paying for both of them to get their hair done and 1 of them to have their make-up done (The other wants to do hers herself). I also paid for their trials, one for hair (they are both having same style so didn't need them both to have it done) and 1 make-up. But my hair/make-up lady is only charging around £25 a head so I wasn't really bothered. Plus my 2 bridesmaids are amazing and have been super helpful so I wanted them to be confident that they'll like how they look on the day.
  • I'm a bridesmaid for my sister on Saturday and she is paying for everything. As she wants us to have our hair and make up a specific way I think this is fair. But at the end of the day it is individual to each wedding and budget. My wedding is very low budget, so I'm not even having bridesmaids (just witnesses, but hers is quite high and she did factor everything this into the budget at the begining.
  • adelly2005adelly2005 Posts: 194
    It's down to each individual I think. I think perhaps if you have a specific way you want your bridesmaids to wear their hair and make up then I think it's better if the bride pays.

My only bridesmaid is my sister, so my mum is paying for the dress and shoes and I am paying for the hair, make up and nails. http://ramblingbridetobe.blogspot.com/
  • I have given my BMs the option of having their hair and make up done and I've offered to pay for their hair if they pay for their make up. I was a BM last year for my sis (who was on a tight budget) and she paid for my hair, I paid for my make up and I also paid for us both to have our nails done the day before.
  • MrsGenn2BMrsGenn2B Posts: 240
    I have 2 bridesmaids and Im paying for both.

My sister definitely wants her done, my other bridesmaid has offered to pay for her own to help out, but as Im only having 2 I want to treat them both. They wont be having trials, just having it done on the day.

Im also treating my mum too, it means the 2 bridesmaids will be getting cheaper dresses and shoes to make it all fit in my budget but I reckon Im a savvy shopper and can get them some stunning stuff for a bargain price image

I should add that when I was bridesmaid before I had to pay for my own hair and make up so I opted to do my own and the bride was fine about this!
  • 4bbie4bbie Posts: 13
    Im having the same issue! iv paid for the dresses, shoes and hair peices. My h2bs cousin is a hair dresser so hes doing our hair for free image the wedding is less than 6 weeks away now and neither BM has been helped or shown any interest towards it so far ( iv even had to plan my own hen night!) which is why im thinking no????? Am i right with this decision??
  • singo44singo44 Posts: 3,420
    mine (x6) are only getting their hair paid, its too costly. im having my make up done but i think they all would prefer to do their own x
  • 4bbie if they haven't shown any interest don't u dare pay!!! They should be excited and helpful. Mine (4 of them) have been amazing I'm getting dress accessories etc paying for hair and they r doing their make up themselves x

• MrsKGMrsKG Posts: 403

I'm paying for their hair but not their makeup. That's how it was for me when I was a bridesmaid too. I think this is pretty much the norm.

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

I didn't pay for my 4 bridesmaids to have their hair or makeup done, but I didn't insist on them having it a certain way either- it was their choice entirely on whether to pay for a professional or do it themselves instead.  I spent around £600 on their dresses and bought each of them a bracelet as a small gift, so I definitely don't feel like I was tight!  One of my bridesmaids just had her makeup done, one just had her hair done, one paid for both and another did everything herself!  Money wasn't/ isn't an issue fo any of them, so their decisions really were based on personal preference/ what they felt comfortable doing x