Acrylic vs gel nails

I've usually always used acrylic nails (not all the time, just for occasions) but recently I was advised that gel nails are more natural looking and don't damage your nail. Just wondering if any brides have experienced both and if you have any opinions about them.

• When I get my nails done I go to a Vietnamese (sp?) salon that uses the mechanical files. I usually get the American Gel over extensions and then after a while my natural nail is long enough to get them without extensions. They recently got this new 'dip' stuff where they paint your nail and dip it in the pot of powder - it is a lot thinner and more natural looking but it kept cracking and breaking. The american gel is as hard as nails (excuse the pun!) so this is what I will be going for for my wedding nails I think!
  • Naomi1984Naomi1984 Posts: 142
    Definitely go for gel rather than acrylic, acrylic sometimes turns your natural nails yellow underneath and can be quite damaging.

Also, when you go to the salon ask for permanent white tips, that way you wont chip on the day!
  • I had Shelac gel for mine

They lasted for over two weeks and looked amazing even tho I'd been in pool etc!

You can see then in my photo thread if you use the link below! Gel all the way!!
  • y5c6y5c6 Posts: 467
    I am currently in the process of growing my nails (after being an avid nail biter for many years!) and started off with Shellac nail varnish done at a professional salon but I found that after a week it started peeling off. Two weeks ago a friend of mine who has started her own beauty business put Bio-Gel varnish on my nails and so far they look exactly the same as the day they were done. No chipping or peeling and my nails are really strong. The Bio-Gel normally lasts for about 3 weeks before you need it re-applying and promotes a natural healthy nail. If you have a bit of time to grow your own nails and would rather go 'natural' than 'false' then I would recommend Bio-Gel to anyone. It cost me £17 for manicure and Bio-Gel and I wouldn't use anything else now (plus I no longer bite my nails!!) image
  • tripqueentripqueen Posts: 222
    Quoted:
    I am currently in the process of growing my nails (after being an avid nail biter for many years!) and started off with Shellac nail varnish done at a professional salon but I found that after a week it started peeling off. Two weeks ago a friend of mine who has started her own beauty business put Bio-Gel varnish on my nails and so far they look exactly the same as the day they were done. No chipping or peeling and my nails are really strong. The Bio-Gel normally lasts for about 3 weeks before you need it re-applying and promotes a natural healthy nail. If you have a bit of time to grow your own nails and would rather go 'natural' than 'false' then I would recommend Bio-Gel to anyone. It cost me £17 for manicure and Bio-Gel and I wouldn't use anything else now (plus I no longer bite my nails!!)

Thanks for the tip! Was going to go for shelac myself but will now look into bio gel! image
  • sweetbintysweetbinty Posts: 96
    Go bio sculpture its natural organic treatment and it lasts for

approx 3-4 weeks doesn't peel or sent nails yellow... i love it

never had such lovli nails since i started it