First bikini wax tonight!

Thought I would put this in this area, as technically it is about hair (!) image

Got my first ever bikini wax later - I have always done it at home myself, but it never lasts very long! So decided to get it done properly at last.

Any tips?! I will be taking two painkillers an hour before, I've been told this may help to numb the pain a little?

Not feeling too bothered about bearing all that is down there - it is their job, and they see these things all day so no point stressing.... I think!!

Any tips or comments would be great - thank you! xxx

• Jokaty82Jokaty82 Posts: 1,908
    I had my professional first ever one before my holiday and wedding in May. I have to say my lady was very good and very quick, really quick - it was over before I knew it. It was not the most comfortable thing, seeing bits down there or the pain, but it honestly was not as bad as I was expecting. However, one side was worse than the other for some reason. I would definitely get it done again.

Although it did not last as long as I was expecting. It lasted about a week, then in the second week I started getting regrowth, and I did get a few in grown hairs. I didnt think I would get this with a professional wax. I would have loved it to last properly for 2 weeks, but did find myself in 2nd week trying to position my bikini bottoms better over the regrowth. Lol.

Sorry too much information. I didn't take pain killers, but I would say just relax, as its not as bad as you think it will be xx
  • mrslane2bmrslane2b Posts: 1,205
    If it is just a bikini line then you will be fine... a hollywood wax is the one you need the painkillers for :x :x
  • Mrs RobertsMrs Roberts Posts: 435
    Yep, it's hollywood I'm going for hence the painkillers!!! x
  • U won't need pain killers for a standard bikini wax, brazilian and Hollywood yes lol. U need to exfoliate to avoid ingrown hairs, it doesn't matter if the wax is done by a professional everyone gets ingrown hairs after a bikini wax, exfoliating helps. Also if you haven't grown your hair for longer then 4 weeks then yes it will only last a week as the therapist would have only got rid of the first cycle of hair growth, the second and third will grow through quite quickly. And it takes regular waxes ( every 4 to 6 weeks) to reduce ingrown hairs and reduce the amount and rate of regrowth. The earliers u get into the habit of having them before a honeymoon, the better.xx
  • SadSack83SadSack83 Posts: 1,700
    I get a Hollywood done every 6 weeks or so after having my frist one 6 years ago for bet and loving it!

My advice would be if it's very long trim a little before you go. Not from an embarrassment point of view but it is less painful if the hairs are shorter. I am talking about 1-2cms as opposed to 5-6cm. Sorry, this sounds really personal but it really does make a difference.

I would also wear old (but clean :lolimage knickers. You can usually choose to leave them on and arrange or take them off and if you leave them on it feels slightly less 'exposed' but then wax gets on your knickers!

And too late for this time but never ever book around your time of the month. Either just before or just after - it is more painful.

Good luck it is only really the bottom inside bit which is *really* painful. I find it worse getting my eyebrows waxed - seriously!
    hahaha loving these comments and tips! I did have a little trim last night - I figured they would trim it anyway so thought I would spare them! It has gotten a little out of control down there recently, hence waxing it all off!

Will let you know how I get on image x
  • blue_moonblue_moon Posts: 191
    Definitely worth it! I also have started with my underarms. I can't get my legs waxed though, the regrowth is too painful..not a problem elsewhere though! A little discomfort, but nothing major!xxx
  • mrslane2bmrslane2b Posts: 1,205
    The last time I had a hollywood I went to a new salon and they didnt even cover me with a towel... so I was basically laid their completely explosed with my legs wide apart! lol sorry for graphic description but i would have expected a towel for modesty's sake!

When I have had a hollywood before many times, they have always used a towel to cover the parts they are not waxing!

:x image
    They had better give me a towel!! image
  • SadSack83SadSack83 Posts: 1,700
    Ha ha!

If we're sharing horror stories I once had a wax in Fiji that used hot wax instead of strips (both good - personal preference - I tend to go for strips if given the choice) and it took... 3 hours! I am not even joking!

They normally take 45-60 mins tops!
  • MrsBeau2BMrsBeau2B Posts: 1,513
    You will be fine and it will be worth it!

Just dont go to an asian salon if you are worried about modesty - i once went to one locally and they had me on all 4's at one point image But the wax was one of the best i'd had!
    It's brazillian waxing company that i'm going to - reviews i've read so far have all been really positive! Got held up at work so delayed my appointment til 7pm, eeeeek! I will cry if they make me go on all fours! image
  • Quoted:
    hahaha loving these comments and tips! I did have a little trim last night - I figured they would trim it anyway so thought I would spare them!

Yeah, Always trim ladies, I send clients home if they havent, find it a little embaressing trimming my clients pub*s for them lol! Hope it went well and you're lovely and smooth! x
    I'm pleased to say I was given a towel to cover myself (although it didn't cover me for long!) and I wasn't asked to get on all fours image

She noticed that I had trimmed, and told me not to do it again! Apparently I had cut some areas too short which means all of the hairs may not come out if they are too short.

I was seriously nervous when I was waiting to go in - hands shaking and all! But the girl was really lovely and made me feel so comfortable, had nothing to worry about!

Very nice and smooth now - h2b won't leave me alone!! image xxx
  • Jennytay08Jennytay08 Posts: 693
    My therapist provides paper pants that definitely help with the modesty factor!

I could not go without waxing legs and hollywood now - its just so much easier and much less painful the more you go!
  • JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058
    Quoted:
    Yeah, Always trim ladies, I send clients home if they havent, find it a little embaressing trimming my clients pub*s for them lol!

• DrBridezillaDrBridezilla Posts: 1,018
    I was told of once for having a bit of a trim before hand image though I'm not sure what the 'right' length is lol.

xxx