Bad hair an make-up trial

Has anyone had a bad hair and make-up trial?  I've just had my first one today and feel that it didn't go as well as I'd hoped!  To cut a long story short my eyeliner is uneven as are my lips!  she didn't use concealer under my eyes and I can see dark circles.  Basically I just don't look 'finished'.  I took a few photos along to show what I wanted and to be fair I didn't really get that!  I paid £90 for it and just feel that I can't spend that again and again as I simply don't have the funds an kinda begrudge paying that much anyway, especially for something that may not work out well. 

So I'm thinking I may do my own make-up as I reckon I could do a better job and get my hair done somewhere professional like Toni and Guy.  Has anyone else taken this approach??

• £90 for a trial! 

nono. you go back and tell her you didn't get what you asked for and you're not happy.  

• I'm not going to have a. Make up artist, just a hairdresser. My sister in law to be worked for benefit counter in boots and has offered to do my make up. I know friends who have been for make up trials at Mac andBenefit and they've taught them the style of make up they want  and then they've bought some of the products. I don't think a make up artist is necessary, maybe a friend can help you as their 'gift' or contribution? Or do you know any recent brides who can recommend a make up artist? 

good good luck and don't fret!

• I agree with Cornishwed image

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

Sorry to hear your trail went so badly.

Not found a makeup artist yet, asked my trusted hair dresser to see if her connections have anyone they would recommend. I could do my own make up, but would have to ask a steady handed friend to do my eyeliner as it is something I have never mastered doing.

You could try your local department store, make overs are free, one friend of mine who rarely wears make up tried Mac one day then because it felt heavy to her but looked fab went back the next day for a bare minerals make over, you may have to book in and I have been told quiet a few people who do in-store make overs also do freelance work you just need to ask.

My other strategy would be find a few local wedding fairs, the ones I have been to there is normally someone doing hair and / or make up demos on attending brides to be.

CornishWed is spot on demand a refund, my hairdresser and beauties always make sure I am happy with the results, that's why I use them.

• I think you need to speak to/email her and explain that you are not happy. If one of my brides told me they weren't happy with their trial I would be horrified and would certainly offer to do another one free of charge. If she is less than helpful or you still do not like what she does after a second trial, I would explain this and see what she says. Did you like your hair?

Penny

www.blushbeautyandhair.co.uk

• I think you need to speak to/email her and explain that you are not happy. If one of my brides told me they weren't happy with their trial I would be horrified and would certainly offer to do another one free of charge. If she is less than helpful or you still do not like what she does after a second trial, I would explain this and see what she says. Did you like your hair?

Penny

www.blushbeautyandhair.co.uk

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

£90???!??!?!?! Is that how much beauticians normally charge?

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

£90 for a trial is ridiculous!!! I'm not even paying that much on te day!! I'd def tell her how unhappy you are about it. Where in the country are you? Maybe other brides could recommend someone for you? Xx

• Hi and thanks to everyone for replying - I am a bit confused why everyone thinks £90 is a lot.  Nearly every hair and makeup website I've been on say they charge £40-£45 for hair and then the same for make up.  I live in Edinburgh so if anyone knows otherwise then please tell me as I am totally confused!!  Needless to say I won't be spending that much again!  I think I'm going to go to a MAC counter get a make over and buy the products that they use and that's me sorted.  At least then I'll have some nice new make-up to show for my money and not some dodgy eyeliner/lipstick and rubbish hair!

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

I thought for the actual day £90 for hair and make up would be fair enough, but for a trial? I thought they would do it at a discounted rate as it is the practice run, useful for you and them.

Most of my friends have gone to make up counters in John Lewis and had a make over, then bought those products. As you say you will have make up to use afterwards and you can practice as many times as you like.

Would it be worth asking friends/family who they used? I am lucky as my Sister only got married in 2011 so I am using most of the vendors she hired. 

• so you paid £45 for a make up trial. . and £45  for hair trial. . by the same person/company?  no. Id expect it to be £65 for both in a trial.  

I

• Daisy4Daisy4 Posts: 20

I had the same experience. I managed to pluck up the courage to go back to the hairdresser with a photo and explain again what I wanted, she said she would do it again and a 'trial' meant you could go back more than once. I didn't realise. 

I had a bridal make up lesson at mac which was really good. I then had the confidence to speak to the make up lady explaining what mac had said and they gave me a refund.

All stress you don't need! Mac come out to do make up too and their prices seem to be quite negotiable. (But pricey!)

• Hi!! I am a make-up artist based in Aberdeen and I would say £90 is quite overpriced for a trial.  I charge £30 for a trial and £45 for the wedding day.  If a bride told me they weren't happy with the trial, I would offer to do it again for free- as a make up artist it's our job to make you feel amazing and I'd be letting my brides down if they weren't 100% happy.  Maybe contact her and tell her you were unhappy or ask for a refund?  Anyway, I hope you get it sorted and if you do decide to do it yourself, MAC is amazing and they will talk you over everything they do and how to apply the products image

Take care, Hannah xx

hannahruthmakeup.4ormat.com

• ,Thanks for the replies!  To be honest I don't feel comfortable asking for a refund as I didn't say anything at the time as I just wanted to run out of there!  The woman who did my makeup seemed a bit weird and I think I should just put it down to a bad experience and a lesson learnt i.e. do my own makeup!!  I think these things really have to be done on recommendation - and unfortunately I don't have any, not in Edinburgh anyway!  The joys of wedding preparation!  flowers next, and I have a feeling that will be expensive tooimage