Bridal Party Hair and Make-up

Hi Ladies

I just wondered if anyone can comment on what they are doing with regards to paying for members of their bridal party to have hair and make-up done? (Both trials and on the day)

To be fair, I only have a small number of people to pay for (3 including myself!!) but costs are spiraling out of control and so I'm really trying to cut back somewhere.

I always figured I would have my hair done professionally - and would pay for the bridal party to have theirs done too, but that only I would have a trial (hell, I trust my hairdresser to 'wing it' on the day... he's very good!) Until recently, I was going to do my own make-up, but H2B ever so subtley suggested that I can apply foundation with a shovel when I'm nervous so should call in the pros!

I therefore do begrudge paying for everyone to have their make-up done too, when it was a luxury even for myself... but I really don't want to be seen like a scrooge!

Do let me know what you are doing for your ladies! image

• HydrogirlHydrogirl Posts: 809

i would maybe make it a "surprise" gift from OH on the day - however you might need a trial?

maybe do (as im doing with benifit and my mum at clinique) and go talk to make-up person at boots as some do freelance or can do it there and all its costs is the price of two items - im sure the others wouldnt grudge that since they would have a piece of makeup too? or you could buy one item and they could buy the other?  if you are going out for make-up then whilst one is getting that done the other can get hair done etc

i dont think its being a scrooge and some people prefer to do their own make-up so mybe weight up the options?

just a little thing to check is that some makeup artists have minimum of people before they come out to do your makeup anyway

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,537

I'm paying on the makeup front for me to have a Trial and on the day and then for 2 x BM and MOB to have their makeup done. I'm having my hair done, but they will have to fend for themselves. I'm not paying for hair, but then again they all straighten their hair everyday and I say let them continue with what they know.

• BanariBanari Posts: 1,847

I have paid for my hair and make up, BMs hair (I have 2) and my mums make up. We all also had a trial. BMs will be doing their own make up. 

It helped that one of my BMs got married recently and we had the discussion then about paying for hair vs makeup and we all decided that we'd rather have our hair done professionally and do our own make up. All the BMs at her wedding then bought Bare Minerals Make Up and we all used the same eye shadow. my other BM was also a BM at her wedding so they both have Bare Minerals and have already decided on eye shadow colour together.

Maybe sit down with your BMs and explain that you can't afford both hair and make up professionally but that you can do one or the other and ask which they'd prefer. 

• tinkymootinkymoo Posts: 419

I am paying for my bridesmaids hair and my own make up. I did tell the ladies I was booking a make up artist and if they would like to use her to let me know. 2 would rather do their own make up and the other 2 are prepared to pay for it and have seen it as its a one off and they will treat themselves.  I just couldnt afford to pay after hair gifts dresses etc and all of them were more than happy with that and all understood. One of the girls has paid for a trial with me... the other laid back one is prepared to wing it on the day lol. X

• i'm paying for ours, got 2 BM's and a flower girls.

one of my BM has a beauty salon and staff so one of her employees are doing our make up on the day and then im paying for hair for them all including the 2 mums.

Hair Trials will just be for  me and one BM as the other lives down south and so does flower girl, and both mums wont be having anything to extravagant so they wont need a trial either. think the hair for the day is £150 for us all and £20-30 each for trial so not too bad.

• I'm having my hair and make up done, with a trial. I'm paying for my Bridesmaids hair, but not trial. I've said if they want make up or any trials then they can pay for it, I can't afford it!!

They were both quite happy with this image

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

I had my hair & makeup done professionally on my wedding day, I also had trials for both.  I left it up to my bridesmaids to decide whether they wanted either done on the day (no trials) at their own cost.  I didn't insist on them wearing their hair or makeup in a certain way though.  In the end one had both hair and makeup done, one just had hair done, another only had makeup and the fourth preferred to go totally DIY and didn't have either!  They all looked gorgeous x

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

Just to add, I did however absorb all of the mileage costs etc into my own budget x

• Hi, I myself wasn't sure what to do about the bridal party hair & makeup. Mainly because my family are from a completely different area to OH's family, which makes it awkward!

I've always said right from the beginning that I'm not going to make anyone do anything they don't want to or would feel uncomfortable with. I'd hate for someone to tell me I've got to wear my hair & makeup a specific way. So, I figure it's only fair that I allow everyone to decide for themselves.

..& luckily for me, MIL2B doesn't like anyone near her eyes or face & OH's 2 sisters are fussy with their hair (what woman isn't?). So, MIL2B & 2 bridesmaids are doing their own hair & makeup. This only leaves myself, my mum & my sister (chief bridesmaid) to have our hair & makeup done professionally.

I suppose everyone'so situation but you're the bride so work out what's best for you! Xx
  • MrsMGtobeMrsMGtobe Posts: 612

I am paying for:

Me

• Mii make-up application trial
    • Mii make-up application on the day
    • Manicure
    • Pedicure
    • Hair trial
    • Hair on the day

Sister (only bridesmaid)

• Mii make-up application on the day
    • Finger nail file & polish
    • Toe nail file & polish
    • Hair on the day

My sister will have to pay for any trials herself if she would like them. I will not be insisting on how she has her hair or make-up.

Mum & Nan

• Finger nail file & polish

My mum and my nan are also paying for my hairdresser to do their hair themselves on the morning.

Because I am spending over £40 amount of pounds at my venue in their beauty suite, I am gifted a free neck, shoulder and back massage, which I will gift to my brother who will be giving me away.

This is more for family bonding time before the wedding, as we will all be staying in a log cabin and will have use of the health and leisure suite. We will all be in the relaxation lounge at the same time which will be really nice.