How long for hair and make up?

Hi girls

I'm meeting with my potential hairdresser on Saturday and it's got me thinking about how long I need to allocate in the morning for hair and make up. I have 3 BMs having hair and make up as well as myself, and I have a seperate lady for hair and one for make up.

So, how long have you been told to allocate for your hair/make up and for the BM hair and make up? I know I can ask my lady on Saturday about the hair, but I have no idea for make up and I'll need to co-ordinate both!

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

Hey Sammykate!

I would let your MUA and hairdresser decide. They will have an idea of how long it will take for them to do each person depending on the styles you go for. They will work backwards from the time you need to leave for your ceremony.

There's three of us for hair and four for make-up. My hairdresser is coming at 9am to be sure we are ready for 1pm. My ceremony is at 2pm so that gives us an hour for photos, to get into my dress and get to the church which is five minutes away! I have my make-up trial in a few weeks and I assume I'll chat to my MUA about timings then :) x

• Most of people said to me about 40mins pp for hair and makeup, but longer for bride 😄 Xxx

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,356 New bride

Thanks both- I know I should probably wait until I can talk to both but it's messing up my 'wedding timings spreadsheet'... yes I really am that sad lol.

Italy bride is that 40 mins for hair and 40 for make up or 40 for both? I'm so clueless lol.

Lubes I have very similar timings but my ceremony is an hour earlier... so maybe I need to start around 8?

• rainbooboorainbooboo Posts: 545

I've got me, 4 bridesmaids and my mum for hair, hair stylist coming at 7am, I will be leaving at 12pm. Make up rtist is only doing me and me ma so she is coming around 10am.x

• rachietownrachietown Posts: 125

I just had my hair and makeup trial- my MUA advised me that it will take 2 and a half hours just for me! I am getting my hair set into vintage style waves though so this is the main time consuming bit. My Bridesmaids are doing their own hair and makeup.

My MUA also advised to give yourself much longer than you think as you may have lots of unplanned distractions / people popping in to say hello etc.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

My MUA and hair stylist only have me to worry about (at the moment) and have said to allow 1.5 hours each just to be sure. So I am aiming to be ready at 12 latest for a half 12 ceremony so they are coming at 9am. 

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

Well, one will come at 9am (I guess hair first??) and then I'll ask the other to be there at 10am.

• MrsCallowMrsCallow Posts: 348

Not including make up, my bridal hair is 2 hours and each bridesmaid is an hour, i have 4 BMS.

Wow, that's a lot longer than I thought for bridal hair! 2 hours! If they need 2 hours for me and 1 for each bridesmaid, we'll have to start at 6am or something... that's not going to go down well haha. Maybe if I ask for something fairly simple for the BMs they won't take that long. Hmm I guess I'll find that out from the hairdresser this weekend.

Also surprised at how long the make up takes- how much can they put on?!

• MrsCallowMrsCallow Posts: 348

Lol ! I know i was surprised too! Although i have long hair and im having all of it curled and then pinned and styled afterwards. My BM´S are having a messy side bun with a plait through one side.

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,646 New bride

My sister is doing the bridesmaids makeup. We had a trial a few weeks ago and it took her around 45 mins per bridesmaid. That's just for makeup alone. No idea about hair timings although I'm seeing my hair/makeup lady in July so will hopefully get an idea then as she will be doing my hair and makeup and my bridesmaids and my mums hair. My trial is 2 hours so I guess that's some kind of indocation as to timings for me.

• Aimee Jones2Aimee Jones2 Posts: 417

I got married at 12:30 and my hairdresser came at 7 lol there were 3 bridesmaids my mum and ME. Mua came at 10 to do me and mum and they both stayed for touch ups until I went down for the ceremony x x 

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I would definitely let your hairdresser tell you how long they think and then one bridesmaid can be having make up whilst another has their hair done and the timing will be fine. We did this for my mums wedding and it worked well. I know some people may say no you must have one done first then the other! 

Whilst 2 hours seems like a long time and I would say 45 mins for bridesmaid make up was a crazy amount of time, this l allows for a quick chat if they haven't met the bridesmaid before (some don't do bridesmaid trials) to check colours for make up etc. Plus extra for drinks, general chatty etc. in between! The time will fly! 

Not doing bridesmaid trials so factoring in some time for them to chat about what they want is a good point! Oh it's so complicated! I've had my make up done as a BM before and it only took 20 mins but it was a friend doing it for free (who is a professional MUA) so maybe she did a quicker job than if she was being paid.

I will defo have one BM having hair while the other has make up. I suppose I want to leave myself to last so mine is freshest? The MUA can always be finishing off the BMs while I have my hair done.

I was told to allow 2 hours for the trial but assumed that she would try a couple of different things so it won't take as long on the day? Maybe I assumed wrong!

Had my hair trial today and very relieved as she said 1 hour for me and 30 mins for bms. Phew! So she will be coming at 8.30am to set up and put my hair in rollers then will start on the bms.