How did you manage this??

Stopping h2b seeing the hair and make up after the trial? Did you wash it off before seeing him? Seems a waste really. So what did you girls do?

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

We are doing our own, so we can "trial" whenever we can meet up and the OH's aren't around. You could always schedule yours if the OH is out of town for work, stag, etc.

Some of the ladies having theirs professionally done time it so that they go on their hen with the hair and make-up done. Others just go for a night out with the girls. I've seen a few ladies schedule trials to coincide with dress fittings so that they get the full effect of the complete look. 

If you really can't come up with a lovely excuse for a day or night out with your hair and make-up done, I would just schedule it for a time while the OH is working. Then if you come straight home, you can just wash it off/ take it down.

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,652 New bride

I had mine yesterday. I tried to stay away from h2b as long as possible by going out for lunch with my mum and sister and then seeing a friend in the evening but i really wanted to go home for a cup of tea in between and he happened to be there. I took the hair comb out so he didn't see that but he was really excited. Kept saying how pretty I looked and that it made the wedding seem even more real now and couldn't wait to see how it all looked on the day. 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,663 New bride

I had the hairdresser take all the clips out of my hair and just leave it down and curly after the trial as I didnt want h2b to see it and he was picking me up after the trial! He has no idea I'm having it up as I told him I'm having it down so want that to stay secret.

Make up I don't mind if he sees! Ideally I wouldn't let him see it, but I dont want to spend £80 on a trial and then scrub it of straight away. So going to try and coordinate it with our pre wedding photo shoot to make the most of it and he will just have to see it!

• I made sure to do mine when I knew my H2B was working a late night, so by the time he got home, I was already in bed.  But I think what others have said is a good idea, just try to avoid him by going out to lunch with others etc. 

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

I think hubby and I went out for dinner after my hair trial. My friend did my make up so that trial was done where she lived in Bournemouth so hubby wasn't around.

TBH, he had forgotten what it looked like by the time the wedding came around. Suspect yours wont take that much notice either. That and it will look different with any decoration in and when you are in your full outfit.

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

I had mine 2 weeks ago and I had a family party to go to in the evening so thought it was a great opportunity to see how the hair and make-up held up after a full day of wearing it, eating, drinking then a night of dancing.  I didn't really mind if h2b saw it although he really didn't want to as he wants it all to be a surprise, but I didn't want to waste the chance to see how well it lasted.

Anyway....glad I did let him see it as he came home and said he hated it and that I looked Victorian!

......I've booked another trial!

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

I really wouldn't worry too much. I wanted to keep my hair and make up to see how it lasted. 

I value my H2B's opinion too and I also figured that it didn't really matter what he saw - I will look different when it's all put together with my dress on our wedding day! It was also good practice for him to take all the pins out of my hair when we went to bed!!

If you are that bothered, I think the other ladies have given some good suggestions 😊 x

• NozomiNozomi Posts: 161

My friend had her trial then did their engagement photo shoot which I thought was a good idea, I might do what Kitten said and get her to take the clips out so he only really sees my make up.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

I wouldn't worry to much, it will look different on the day with the dress on, and he may well forget anyway, Just take out any hair accessories or change it slightly if you are really worried, Make sure you really put the hair and makeup through its paces to check it has the staying power!

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,652 New bride

MrsG2b - I did chuckle when I read your comment about looking Victorian. My h2b said I should wear makeup more often as it made me look really pretty when he saw me. Then he realised what he'd said and attempted to backtrack at the same time digging an even bigger hole for himself. Men! 

• Mrs B2b3Mrs B2b3 Posts: 255
    NikkiM wrote (see post):

MrsG2b - I did chuckle when I read your comment about looking Victorian. My h2b said I should wear makeup more often as it made me look really pretty when he saw me. Then he realised what he'd said and attempted to backtrack at the same time digging an even bigger hole for himself. Men! 

What are these men like?? Lol. 

• Little JulesLittle Jules Posts: 1,538

I had my hair and make up all in the same day. My hair was taken out pretty much straight away - I had loads of fake hair and things in, and I didn't want to keep that in. Make up I just let him see - it was a good test of how long it lasted, and I didn't think that needed to be a surprise, really.

• Mrs B2b3Mrs B2b3 Posts: 255
    Little Jules wrote (see post):

I had my hair and make up all in the same day. My hair was taken out pretty much straight away - I had loads of fake hair and things in, and I didn't want to keep that in. Make up I just let him see - it was a good test of how long it lasted, and I didn't think that needed to be a surprise, really.

Thanks for all your comments ladies!  I think Little  Jules has given me the way to go. The makeup isn't that big of a deal if he sees it but I'll change my hair back after the trial.