Ideas for Bridesmaid's very short hair

My 14yr old daughter has her rather thick hair cut into a short bob with a fringe. She doesn't like fussing with her hair and didn't want to grow it out. It won't change much now in seven weeks. I wondered if anyone has/had any short haired bridesmaids and what their plans were/are. Does anyone have pictures? Her dress doesn't have any 'bling' so it would be nice to incorporate this into her hair but there is no way she would wear a tiara. She doesn't spend time messing with her hair or putting on make-up. I absolutely hate this term but she isn't (awful word warning) 'girly.'

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

What does she want to do with it?

I dont think bridesmaid hair is a big deal and if shes uncomfortable with sparkles and doesnt want to do anything special then I would let her decide.

Maybe just a simple hairband?

I feel your pain though, my daughter has just chosen a spider man baseball cap for her summer headwear 🙄

• sugarmousesugarmouse Posts: 189

I think she wants it too look good, just not feel uncomfortable. Understandable. Her usual style is run a brush through it and put a hairband on. To be fair I don't fuss with my hair usually but it's long, dark thick hair so there are a lot of options available to me.

I am relieved when she goes out in clothes that fit. She often looks like a 14yr old bag lady. Baggy jumper, ancient leggings with paint splatters etc.

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Not hairbands they are so childish!  Go for a hair slide and place it at the side towards the front.  

One of mine has a pixie and she is wearing a small feather hair slide there. 

There are plenty of hairbands for adults, a lot of brides on this forum have worn them, Ive seen them in shops, they dont look childish unless you choose a childs one.

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 314

A haircomb with sparkles or flowers with hair pulled back behind one ear looks nice on a short bob.

Mrsj. I know my opinions are not the same as others but they are my opinions.  I dont like headbands i do however like hair slides and combs.  

Yes but your opinion doesnt make something a fact, "i think hairbands can be childish" sounds a lot kinder than "Not hairbands they are so chldish!" Dont you think?

Thank you for all your advice. Please don't fall out.

Im sorry sugarmouse really silly over someones opinion on a hand band.

Its not about your opinion katherine, your thoughts on headbands dont affect me at all, I just think the way you word things often comes across as very "i am right, any other way is wrong". Im sure you dont mean to come across that way, and maybe its just me who thinks so, but I do think the way we word our personal opinions should be a bit thoughtful when in a place where everybody has different styles for an important day.

There are a lot of brides on here who have or will wear hairbands so I just think stating that they are childish is a bit of a blanket statement and a bit thoughtless.

Anyway OP, I had a look on pinterest for bob hairstyles.

Just some different ways it could be worn, without any accessories, with a hairband (though probably not flowers if shes not girly), and with a slide.

There were also braided ones butI forgot to save one of those.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I completely agree with MrsJ - Katherine you really should consider whether the way you word your opinions are going to effect someone else before you really upset someone.

Look I have said things on this site which haven't come across how I meant it, and I would bet we are all under that bit of extra pressure. We still have to carry on with all the stuff we usually do work paid and voluntary, caring responsibilities and trying simultaneously plan and pull off what we are told is one of the most important days of our life.

Since booking my wedding I have managed to have big arguments with both of my sisters, have a panic attack (literally) when going dress shopping because I had to take H2B because I had nobody else to go with. I didn't mind him seeing my dress but I know he hates clothes shopping. I have had panic attacks trying to choose curtains. That's what generalised anxiety disorder does to you. I was even have dizzy and fainting spells. But for the first time I have been able to stop panicking and stressing and worrying and just enjoy the planning. The one thing which has really helped me is coming on here and sharing our highs and lows wherever we are on our journey. Whatever our budget, our circumstances our preferences. It has been and is a safe place for me. I have been on parenting sites where mums have torn one another apart.

If we were sat in one of our houses, chatting and things got a bit tense, the first thing I would do is put the kettle on. Unfortunately I don't have this option. But I am metaphorically opening the Hob Nobs now. Somebody had better share them because in 6 weeks and 6 days I have a dress to fit into.

Love the 3rd picture mrsj, this is exactly what I meant , also works well with straight sleek bob. 

Katherine66 wrote (see post):

Not hairbands they are so childish!  Go for a hair slide and place it at the side towards the front.  

One of mine has a pixie and she is wearing a small feather hair slide there. 

My 36 year old friend wore a hairband covered in pearls for her wedding !!!! 

• Dora3Dora3 Posts: 1,218

I'm sorry but im with MrsJ on this. 

Im 28yrs old and guess what... I'm wearing a hair band! I love it and it's so much better than the hairband I was looking for. Tiaras are not for me and I didn't want a veil and my hair style choice wouldn't suit a slide. 

There's sharing your opinion and then there is coming across factual. We are here to share our thoughts but when you state something so bluntly then you have to expect conflict of opinions.

OP, I feel for you. I also suffer with anxiety and know how awful it can be. Please try not to get caught up in any conflict of opinion. It's not your fault people disagree. Concentrate on the fun and happiness of planning. Remember you can come here to vent and cry, I've done it many a time and have actually done a thread on anxiety. 

I think the slide might work well. I do think a headband is also a possibility. She is at her Dad's today but I will show her all these suggestions tomorrow and see what she thinks. She has also expressed an interest in having her ears pierced again but they closed up last time because she got bored of them being cleaned and turned each night so took them out and they closed up. We are awaiting an assessment for suspected ADHD. She has a very short attention span which is one of the reasons she decided to have her long hair cut. I can't imagine she would have managed sitting and having long hair cut and styled and put into an up-do.

My son in 7 and we had to have assessments for autism and adhd a few years ago.

It was decided he didnt have anything like that and just had one if those personalities, but even now Im not convinced that was the right decision!

Its not an easy thing to deal with but hopefully you will get some answers. I feel a bit in limbo because I had hoped a diagnosis would help me more than him, that somebody would teach me how to deal with him and how he works, and itd make all our lives easier. But instead I just have to wing it and wonder what on earth Im doing wrong when hes in one of his phases.

I love this forum, there have been plenty of times when other peoples things are not to my taste, but I dont think thats any reason to be unkind. Even when people ask for opinions its still perfectly possible to say you dont like something without upsetting someone. I dont like flowers or the colour pink or barns, and I usually tend to choose the opposite to everyone else in the 'which dress' or 'which hairslide' posts, but I do try to be tactful and supportive regardless, everyone has different tastes and all are valid.

This is a great place because you can waffle on to your hearts content without becoming the wedding bore we all dread being 😂

Hi , I agree no need to be unkind ever, most people on here asking opinions are just needing a bit of reassurance . 

Sorry you have struggled to get any diagnosis for your son , if you have looked at his symptoms and truly believe he is a fit ask for a second opinion , keep a diary of relevant behaviours too so that you can go armed with evidence. Hope you get some progress soon , sending hugs xx