Fake hair and matching the colour

Hi all

Advice from those 'in-the-know' please.

I bought a fake plait which is perfect for the style I'm going for but my hair is dark brown, but not quite black. I purchased dark brown but it's a tad lighter than my own hair and really noticeable in the sunlight. I subsequently bought the same plait in black, knowing that it wouldn't match but felt I had to try everything.

So what do I do? I've considered using the L'Oreal root cover up stuff on the lighter piece to see if that improves the colour but I wonder if it will just fall off the hair because it's fake and will have no grip - or it might do some other damage? Or do I leave it until the day itself and let the hair stylist spray it on when it's in situ? That's even more dangerous I'd think but I'm open to anything right now.

My hairdresser doesn't have any suggestions unfortunately so I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light :)

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

When you say fake, do you mean its synthetic hair? As far as I know you can do anything with it, but if you were to get human hair extensions they can be dyed and treated in the same way as your own hair.

• Misty26Misty26 Posts: 92

Thanks MrsJ. I certainly mean synthetic. So you think I could risk spraying the L'Oreal to see if that darkens it?

If you cany return it or sell it you could try it, but I just dont have enough of a scientific head to know if it would work. Dye works by going inside the hair shaft, and with it not actually being hair its hard to know what would happen.

Ive certainly dyed my plastic hair comb blue though when I dyed my hair once so, give it a go if its not going to be able to be returned!

Oh and I have no idea about the sprays as I havent used them sorry.

If worst comes to worst you could but a human hair piece, I dont think itd cost too much.

• MrsTheaUMrsTheaU Posts: 126

Hey, I think your best bet is to have it sprayed and blended in by your hair stylist on the day. You shouldn't dye synthetic hair because it will literally turn into straw or feel/look like burnt plastic. If you have the means to do so, I suggest you invest in a human "virgin" hair ponytail, this way it can be dyed, straightened, curled and styled however you wish :) It will even last beyond your wedding day unlike synthetic hair that you only get a few uses out of! Hope this helps x 

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 314

If you are anywhere near Birmingham go into a shop called flygirls, the lady there will match your hair and make up the plait for you , we found her by chance and she matched 2 colours for my daughter's hair first try and then made her some gorgeous extensions there and then. The bridal stylist said the hair was really good quality too 

• Rosegold017Rosegold017 Posts: 476

I got mine matched up at a wedding fair. She wrote down the colour code and I later bought it online. Have you got any big wedding fairs coming up?

• Misty26Misty26 Posts: 92

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions.

It was cheap enough that I might risk spraying it just to see what happens. My next step will be looking into this "virgin" hair. I can take it to my hairdresser when I next get my roots done and she could perhaps dye it then. I'm no where near Birmingham unfortunately but I could see if they do anything online or if there is anyone similar locally to me

Appreciate all your help :)

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

Hey

I haven't got any suggestions sorry but can I ask what the top of the plait looks like? I want to create the below and my hairdresser said get a fake plait but all the ones I've seen are on a bobble. I can't work out how the bobble works with the side of my head - I was expecting clips like clip in hair extensions.

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

I bought some extensions about a year ago, they matched my colour in the shop (Pataks) and they are real hair with clips. I don't know much about extensions as I don't bother usually doing anything with my hair but my advice would be to buy the clip extensions, get them in and then style using those. The clips will give body to the front of the hair. 

The extensions were were quite inexpensive, about £50. 

These are my extensions washed and ready for the big day 

Helen225 wrote (see post):

Hey

I haven't got any suggestions sorry but can I ask what the top of the plait looks like? I want to create the below and my hairdresser said get a fake plait but all the ones I've seen are on a bobble. I can't work out how the bobble works with the side of my head - I was expecting clips like clip in hair extensions.

Ive never used a fake plait but Id assume theyd clip it near the front, and undo the plait and rebraid it using your own hair too?

Thats what Id do anyway, otherwise wherever it goes itd just look stuck on wouldnt it.