Chicken Skin Woes

Hey Brides.

So seeing Wibble's post got me thinking about my beauty regime for the next 2 months & something I would like to help reduce is the chicken skin effect on my upper arms. It isn't horrendous but it is enough that I would like to try reduce it if I can, given my strapless dress.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of things they have used/recommend to help me??

Apparently it is called Keratosis Pilaris and it's more common than I thought, hence the forum post.

Thanks lovely ladies xx

• LeeLawLeeLaw Posts: 107 New bride

I have found that using AHA's help.

I have Alpha H liquid gold :)

• Mrs17Mrs17 Posts: 808 New bride

Haha we are in sync here... I think I mentioned to you previously that i also get this on the back of my arms. Being abroad usually eases it, so I am hoping the sunbeds might help with that too? I exfoliate with a mitt, and use a bit of bio-oil on it! It's definitely better than it used to be

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Me and 2 of my kids have this. A nurse pointed it on my son once and said its a sign of vit D deficiency. I dont know how true that is but it would explain why it goes away in the sun. Im going to try sunbeds.

• Wibble2017 wrote (see post):

Haha we are in sync here... I think I mentioned to you previously that i also get this on the back of my arms. Being abroad usually eases it, so I am hoping the sunbeds might help with that too? I exfoliate with a mitt, and use a bit of bio-oil on it! It's definitely better than it used to be

We deffo are in sync! It's good though, because you're discussing things that keep crossing my mind haha! I am hoping the sunbeds help - also hope it will help with some pinkness on my cheeks, which no matter how much I try and cover it, shows (glows) through by about 3pm!!

• MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

Me and 2 of my kids have this. A nurse pointed it on my son once and said its a sign of vit D deficiency. I dont know how true that is but it would explain why it goes away in the sun. Im going to try sunbeds.

Thanks MrsJ! I hope they will help. It does explain why it improves in the summer I suppose. Will give them a go and let you know how I get on.

• Mrs17Mrs17 Posts: 808 New bride

Has your MUA (are you having one?) suggested anything to help with/cover this on the day?

• LeeLaw wrote (see post):

I have found that using AHA's help.

I have Alpha H liquid gold :)

Hi LeeLaw - I hadn't heard of this before so just given it a google. I see you can buy little gift sets so might give one a go before I invest in a big one!! Definitely worth a go.

• Wibble2017 wrote (see post):

Has your MUA (are you having one?) suggested anything to help with/cover this on the day?

Yeah she did - she put a layer of green something under the foundation, I assume a primer, which helped a lot. So I am reassured it won't be a huge issue on the day, but anything I can do to help in the mean time I will try.

It's frustrating because aside from the redness, I have no skin issues (it can get a bit dry sometimes) but no spots etc (touchwood) but I guess everyone has something they are conscious of! xx

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,663 New bride

It' super common and I don't think due to any deficiency- I think I read about 1/3 of women have it to some degree. I have a bit, my sister has loads- maybe it's genetic? What will help is products containing salicylic acid- Neutrogena does a range that contains it, I can't remember the name! You'll find it in boots though- used to come in orange bottles but now the whole range is pink. I use the scrub and wash on my arms every time I shower and it helps.You won't get rid of the bumps but it will reduce the redness.

As mentioned above sun also helps! It both diminishes the condition and a tan helps cover it.

• Great, thank you Sammykate - I am off to town in a minute to collect some of the bridesmaid dresses so will pop into boots and have a look.

Bright pink should make it easy to locate on the shelf!!

I think I read somewhere if your parents have it then you're likely to have it, but not aware of either parent, or either of my sisters having it, so maybe it is genetic and sometimes just bad luck haha.

x

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I used to get this all the time, I have no idea why it went away but I'm not going to complain! I used to use AHAs/acids to help as they are a chemical exfoliant. One by Paulas choice was the one I actually noticed a visible difference with, although It is expensive I only used a small amount each day and the tube is big. It's the purple one here:

https://www.paulaschoice.co.uk/keratosis-pilaris 

• Emma236Emma236 Posts: 215

I have been plagued with Chicken Skin since I was a teenager and it's all over my arms, legs and backside...highly attractive. A dermatologist finally told me it is called keratosis pilaris and there's not an awful lot that can be done about it.

Holidays in the sun and sunbeds help it but I'm rather moley (painting a great picture of myself here) so don't want to risk any other more serious skin issues.

However, I've found that exfoliating twice a week helps and after doing loooooads of research online and trying just about every product under the sun, I swear by raw, organic coconut oil. It's a great moisturiser and if you use it twice a day, chicken skin seems to clear up after a week. It really has been a total game changer for me and I'm no longer embarrassed to wear sleeveless tops, skirts and shorts. Would really recommend giving it a bash. Xx

• Ambam19Ambam19 Posts: 581 New bride

I have this too and cringe when people go to touch my arm in case they think i'm a scaly bumpy freak!! you can't see it through the freckles at least!

I agree with the neutrogena stuff 

• ShitGotRealShitGotReal Posts: 435 New bride

I have this. I used to get it on my thighs too as a kid but (thankfully) not any more! 

I've tried anything any everything to get rid of it on my arms, and unfortunately for me the only thing that covers it 100% is makeup. Sun does help, although i am not one to condone sunbeds! 

I've heard its down to dehydration/lack of water, which would make sense for me as i just don't get thirsty. I can get to about 8pm before i realise i haven't had a drink all day.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,663 New bride
    ShitGotReal wrote (see post):

I have this. I used to get it on my thighs too as a kid but (thankfully) not any more! 

I've tried anything any everything to get rid of it on my arms, and unfortunately for me the only thing that covers it 100% is makeup. Sun does help, although i am not one to condone sunbeds! 

I've heard its down to dehydration/lack of water, which would make sense for me as i just don't get thirsty. I can get to about 8pm before i realise i haven't had a drink all day.

I drink tonnes of water so I honestly don't think it can be down to that?? But maybe mine would be worse if I didn't, impossible to know really.

Thanks for the above tip on coconut oil- we always have this in the house and use for cooking and occasionally as skin care. Sometimes I put it in the bath too. So I will give it a go on my arms! I've also read that dry body brushing helps but I was too lazy to keep that up after a couple of weeks.

• ShitGotReal I am the same.. I could go all day without a drink. Trying so hard to drink more but I just can't do it. If I drink when I'm not thirsty it can make me feel sick! Maybe as I get better it might help.

Sammykate - I've bought some of the neutrogena stuff you suggested to try so will try that for a while and if no joy then will go on to the more expensive products. Thanks Lexi!! 

Emma.. I also have some coconut oil in a jar in the kitchen! I have never tried this for beauty purposes but no harm in giving it a go since I already own it! 

Xx 

• Sammykate wrote (see post):
    ShitGotReal wrote (see post):

I drink tonnes of water so I honestly don't think it can be down to that?? But maybe mine would be worse if I didn't, impossible to know really.

Thanks for the above tip on coconut oil- we always have this in the house and use for cooking and occasionally as skin care. Sometimes I put it in the bath too. So I will give it a go on my arms! I've also read that dry body brushing helps but I was too lazy to keep that up after a couple of weeks.

Sammykate what is dry body brushing? What do you use??