DIY bridal makeup

Has anyone got advice or recommendations for what to do or what to avoid?

I read that we need to avoid SPF makeup because of the ghost face effect in pics, and we should go heavier so the makeup shows up in pics.

What else do I need to know?

And what products do you think I need?

• It depends on your skin type. For example, everyone raves about Double Wear foundation but it exagerates the lines on my face.

Go to a department store and arrange consultations - perhsps Mac, Bobby Brown and another one.

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

My bridesmaids sister works on the counters and is going to help us choose the makeup etc, but shes not wedding specific so I wasnt sure if there were any other little things to know like the "no spf" thing.

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

Im not planning on doing anything different and hadn’t heard of the spf thing! I have bought a good primer and setting spray but otherwise just doing my make up as normal really 

• wed172B wrote (see post):

Im not planning on doing anything different and hadn’t heard of the spf thing! I have bought a good primer and setting spray but otherwise just doing my make up as normal really 

Definitely something to look out for. If you use make up with SPF it can cause flashback when using flash photography and do this:

Not really what anyone wants! Also the same can happen with mineral make up.  The key ingredients to avoid are zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and anything with a lot of silica or silver mica (they will be one of the first five ingredients on the ingredients list if the product contains a large amount). 

MrsJ2017 I would buy a really good primer and make sure you properly set your make up after you're done, either with a setting spray (Urban Decay's is brilliant), or a translucent powder.

I'd also consider a waterproof eyeliner (if using) alongside waterproof mascara. I'd also go for powder based products rather than cream blushes, highlighters etc. as they will last longer.

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

thanks Weatherwaxe! i don't think my foundation is SPF but i will double check and check the ingredients!

• Lowri4Lowri4 Posts: 10

Hi

I've follow a well known make up artist called Lisa Eldridge on Instagram for a while. I think she does really pretty make up. She has her own website and posts videos on how to achieve specific looks or what products she uses. I have watched her tutorial on wedding make up as I'm also contemplating doing my own. Not sure if it'll be any good for you but here's a link:

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/7475/bridal-make-up-tips/

She may have done more posts on weddings. From memory I think she mentioned avoiding certain types of make up which don't photgraph well as they cause too much shine. Failing that I'm sure there a lot of other online make up tutorials that might be useful.