Individual eyelash extensions or cluster lashes?

Dear all,

I’m In need of some advice on my eyelash extensions!

I have a hair and makeup trial coming up and it turns out cluster lashes are included in the price. 

I also have a good friend who does individual lashes and will do them for pretty much free for me! 

I would like a natural glam makeup look but my fiancé likes me looking quite natural.

Can anyone advise which to go for or has anyone done both before!?

Please help, all advice appreciated!

Best wishes,

Rachel x

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Individual are more comfortable to wear because they’re not attached to more than one lash, which means they shed nicer as well.

I had a mixture and I hated them both, but the clusters were so uncomfortable that after the wedding I cut them out with nail scissors!

• MrsJamesMrsJames Posts: 405 New bride

I was having the same debate prior to my wedding last year and in the end decided against lash extentions and went for LVL lashes instead. 

LVL lashes builds on your natural lashes by lifting them and tinting them, its a really natural look and meant I didn't need to wear mascara for 6-8 weeks. If you're after a more natural look for your lashes I'd definitely give this a try. 

• Issa19unionIssa19union Posts: 123 New bride

I used to do both and would recommend individuals, they look more natural, last longer and are less irritating. Maybe go for the cluster lashes in your trial to see how you feel with lash extensions in general if you haven’t had any before then have individuals for the big day if you like the look?

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

I also had LVL for my wedding and would recommend it. I believe LVL also do lash extensions now which look really good.

I've had both cluster and individual lashes and preferred the individual ones. The cluster ones I felt looked really fake but that may have just been the person who did them for me.

• Rachel379Rachel379 Posts: 13

Thanks all! I’m after a natural glam look myself so perhaps I’ll go to the trial and see how I feel! Thanks so much for the advice, I’ll report back after my trial next week :)

• HelenNHelenN Posts: 131 New bride

I have individual lashes and I love them! I’m not someone that finds it easy to keep regular appointments so they are high maintainence that way, but on the other hand you can wake up and leave the house with just a splash of foundation and you feel great! I naturally have very long eyelashes and I get asked all the time why I choose to have extensions, but I struggle to find mascara that stays put all day and I have so many bad eyelash days (if you know what I mean!).

I’ve never tried the clusters but I know they are cheaper. Depending on when you’re wedding is maybe give them a go now and see how you feel? I don’t know how long they last or whether they attach to your lashes or eyelid. Individual ones are attached to eyelashes so you need to be careful not to be tempted to pull on them as they start to grow out or you’ll end up with baldy eyes, learnt that the hard way! But the individual ones really do look great in my opinion. With a new full set you’d get about 3 weeks worth, so the honeymoon is covered too :)  

And in terms of looking natural, i’m a Mental Health Nurse.  Some of my patients are rather blunt at times and I got asked a few weeks ago “why did you only bother putting makeup on half your eyes? Or have you shaved your bottom lashes off?” I’d gone to work with no mascara on my bottom lashes as I was on nights and didn’t see the point. I told the patient that my top ones were false and after a more than close for comfort inspection he still wouldn’t believe it! I felt quite complimented in the wierdest way 😂

• Rachel379Rachel379 Posts: 13
    HelenN wrote (see post):

I have individual lashes and I love them! I’m not someone that finds it easy to keep regular appointments so they are high maintainence that way, but on the other hand you can wake up and leave the house with just a splash of foundation and you feel great! I naturally have very long eyelashes and I get asked all the time why I choose to have extensions, but I struggle to find mascara that stays put all day and I have so many bad eyelash days (if you know what I mean!).

I’ve never tried the clusters but I know they are cheaper. Depending on when you’re wedding is maybe give them a go now and see how you feel? I don’t know how long they last or whether they attach to your lashes or eyelid. Individual ones are attached to eyelashes so you need to be careful not to be tempted to pull on them as they start to grow out or you’ll end up with baldy eyes, learnt that the hard way! But the individual ones really do look great in my opinion. With a new full set you’d get about 3 weeks worth, so the honeymoon is covered too :)  

Thanks for the advice! So I went for a trial and had cluster lashes put on. They were nice and dramatic but they tend to stick outwards instead of curling up. I'm going to try a lift and tint and then put cluster lashes on top of them to see if they make a difference to the way they stick out. If not then I'll opt for individuals. I've just heard that it's difficult to wear some eyeliners with individuals and the maintenance is quite difficult. I also heard you have to sleep on your back? 

Also with regards to your patients not believing they're real! That's fab that's what I'm looking for haha 

I normally like to sleep on my side or even face down lol so that can be a problem. I still sleep on my side, but try to tuck the pillow under my face so my eye isn’t squashed into it, if that makes sense? It just means that sometimes when you wake up your eyelashes are kinked in a sideways direction. But it’s easy to brush out and doesn’t last long. I wear eyeliner most days, don’t have a problem putting it on ir taking it off :)

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,295 New bride

I much prefer individual ones, too. As others have said, brush them out in the morning and they’ll be fine. Also use a little bit of baby shampoo to clean them and they last ages

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial!