Make-up recommendations

I'm thinking of doing my make-up myself, as we are getting married in Scotland, so won't be close to home.

Does any one have any recommendations on brands that would be good to try and buy?

Don't really have a lot of make-up knowledge and just use Max Factor for everyday use.

Also despite being 40! Still have odd break-outs and scarring issues.

Our planning thread here

• Ozzy2bOzzy2b Posts: 143

I’m also doing my own make up and have slightly problematic over 40 skin. I had a free make up lesson with Bobbi Brown which I would definitely recommend - there‘s very little sales pressure and it’s a good way to learn about different ideas. 

I did buy some foundation from there, but I also tested samples from department stores and I bought Estée Lauder Double Wear after getting colour matched. It has a reputation as a heavy foundation but you only need a tiny amount and on well prepped skin it just gives a nice base to work with. 

My main thing has been getting my skincare right - I‘ve found using glycolic acid has really helped sort out uneven skin tone and the odd breakout. Nip/Fab or Superdrug’s Naturally Radiant range are good places to start. I’m also a fan of Sali Hughes for recommendations - she does recommend super high end stuff sometimes but her budget picks are also really good (we’re the same age, hair colour and complexion which helps!)

• MrsS2019MrsS2019 Posts: 137 New bride

Ok I’m doing my own makeup, I use Estée Lauder double wear foundation and there mattifying primer urban decay all nighter spray and Laura mercier loose setting powder. That is my base and it can last around 9 hours before it starts to shine but I have oily skin. I can also swear by Anastasia Beverly Hills eyeshadow, it’s so pigmented and buttery and you don’t need much to get a good colour on your skin.

• kate268kate268 Posts: 78 New bride

Another one who did my own. Got trials at Bobbi Brown and Bare Minerals and mainly used BB with BM powder and Nars blusher and bronzer. 

• I will also be doing my own makeup, have been using Bobbi Brown's foundation for a few years now, though I have heard great things about Estee Lauder's double wear. 

I'd also recommend Nars' Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base - my eye makeup lasted the whole night through the next morning (!) last weekend!

I have a trial at Bobbi Brown this Thursday and will report back!