Hair/make-up trial... when?

Hi ladies,

Our wedding Monday 26th August next year (bank holiday Monday). I've found a Hair/MUA I like and who is available on our date. We're going to pencil in a trial but I was wondering when this should be done?

Part of me is keen to get it done sooner rather than later so we can iron out what I want / (not expecting this) if it doesn't work, I have time to find someone else.

On the other hand, I suppose there's a risk of her not having the same products / my hair being different next year.

When did you have your trials done in relation to your wedding date? Does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance

• I'm getting married in March and I am having my hair trial in January but I know my hairdresser will be able to do what I'm looking for as she is a well known and popular wedding hairdresser so I haven't rushed to have a trial.

Make up on the other hand, I booked a make up artist upon a recommendation and went and had my make up done for an event just to see what she was like. I didn't like the make up at all or how she did it so I ended up cancelling and booking another make up artist. I had a trial straight away a couple of months ago and it was perfect. I'm going to have another trial closer to the day so it's fresh in our minds how I would like it. 

I think it all depends on how important hair and make up are to you or what kind of look you're wanting. If it is something specific then I would have a trial sooner so you know they can do the look you're after. 

Hope that helps! 

• My wedding is in April and I’m having my trial in February. I wanted my trial fairly close to my wedding in case my skin changes, although I’m always pale so I doubt it lol. I also wanted somewhere to go once my hair and make up (hopefully) looks pretty so I’m having it done on H2B’s birthday so we can go out for dinner and drinks that night.

• Thanks ladies. I think I'm going to wait until my wedding dress comes in and try and arrange for a day when I can have hair/makeup done then go try my dress on again so I'll get the full picture. :)

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,601 New bride

I'm getting married the day before you and plan to have my make up trial in the spring, April/May time.

• hair-hair- Posts: 1 New bride

Congrats on your wedding! I do wedding hair and makeup and I would suggest going in to see what products you should be using to help your hair get to the point it should be for your special day. For example, you might want to get hair extensions to get a fuller or longer look. You might have dry hair that needs some moister. Then from there once you hair a style picked out I would schedule a date to practice it a month before. That way the style is fresh in your stylish mind and there's enough time to change the color and cut to what you want. https://sarahkunzler.wixsite.com/thebeautylab

• After all, if the trial doesn’t end well, you could need time to schedule a second one.

Three months before your wedding date should give you enough time.

Plus, be sure to schedule a long enough appointment.

Hope it helps 

• info 50info 50 Posts: 7 New bride
    I would say about three months is a good time. You don't want something too soon as ideas change, colour themes change and like  you said your hair might change, I would perhaps book an artist and pay a deposit so you know you have one,then have a trial nearer the time once everything else is confirmed then have a trial and if you don't like it then you still have a bit of time to find a makeup artist that you fit well with. Or you need to choose an artist you like their site, their work their style and what is going to to work for you and your vision for your wedding look too.

Happy to help

Heather Card Makeup Artistry
    www.heathercard-makeup.co.uk
  • Hey. I'm a makeup artist. I would advise you not to wait too much to do the trial. A good make up artist will take pictures of you after the trial and will write down all the products she used for the makeup. So she will be able to reproduce the same look the day of your wedding. And it's not a problem if you get a bit tanned after or your hair will be a bit longer. Maybe you can just inform her about it before your wedding. But if you have your trial sooner rather than later you will have time to find somebody else available if you are not satisfied with the result 😉
  • Hey! I'm also an MUA and completely agree with Anna's comment above. Book your trial with plenty of time until your wedding day. 2-4 months is typical and gives you enough time to look around if you're not comfortable with your artist. Just be careful playing with makeup around the dress!  :D x

• cs2thecoxcs2thecox Posts: 260 New bride
    I just had my trial this week, on the same day as my dress fitting and I would SO recommend that!
    I thought my hair and makeup looked way over the top, until I put my dress on and I could see the whole look (I showed pics of my dress to my HMUA before we started so she knew what she had to balance with). If I hadn't done that, I would probably have asked for a more subtle look that actually would have been too little for the occasion.

Looking OTT:

Seeing it with the dress:

• cs2thecox said:
    I just had my trial this week, on the same day as my dress fitting and I would SO recommend that!
    I thought my hair and makeup looked way over the top, until I put my dress on and I could see the whole look (I showed pics of my dress to my HMUA before we started so she knew what she had to balance with). If I hadn't done that, I would probably have asked for a more subtle look that actually would have been too little for the occasion.

Looking OTT:

Seeing it with the dress:

Wow! Love it and love how it all comes together :) I've got the dress at my mum's now and leaving it there until alterations closer to the time so can definitely try the dress on after my trial. How exciting!!
  • Daniella21Daniella21 Posts: 5 New bride
    I chose a long hairstyle for the wedding. I didn't know if I wanted curly hair or an elegant bunch. But after consulting with a hairdresser, I decided to do curls. My hairdresser uses ACEVIVI hair curlers from https://greathaircurlers.com/best-curling-iron-long-hair/, which use steam to keep your hair dry while the inner ceramic core is working. Therefore, I do not worry that my hair may be damaged. Also, I am sure that my hairstyle will keep volume all day.