Make-up - where to start?

Hi,

When's the best time to start looking at make-up artists?

I'm getting married next April, so not sure whether I'm super early if I start looking now or not. Main thing I'm thinking is if I book now do I have a make up trial now before booking or just go on photos and then have a trial closer to the date and hope that I like it? Confused. 

• cs2thecoxcs2thecox Posts: 257 New bride
    I lined my trial up with my first dress fitting just over 4 months before my wedding.
    I found it useful to have chosen my dress before thinking too much about how I wanted my head to look, so maybe wait till you have a dress?
    No harm stalking people on Insta now though ;)
  • It depends really on what you want.  There is a make up artist I sometimes work with and she is so insanely popular that she is booked over two years in advance.  Like you though, I was very confused by the whole process - what if you don't like your trial?  It is such a hard decision!  In the end I was let down and three weeks before the wedding I booked in with a lady from the MAC store (lots of them do freelance), based on lots of people recommending them.
    I have come across a couple at wedding fayres that do mini trials there and then so I suppose you could see if you could try a few out? or ask around locally, see if you know anyone that can recommend someone x
  • I’m a make up artist and find people usually book around 12months prior to their wedding date. 

I take a deposit to secure the wedding date, which can be redeemed at the trial - this way if for any reason the client not happy then you’ve paid for the trial & there is no obligation to continue with the booking  :)