Any hairdressers out there? Improving condition of hair

I really hate my hair, it's so fine and thin and as it's dyed it also breaks a lot. I want my hair to look nice for my wedding but the hairstyles for thin hair I've found are all on hair much thicker than mine. I'd love to reduce the breakage so it's at least a little bit thicker.

Does anyone know if olaplex really works? I've read mixed reviews and as it's so expensive I don't really want to waste my money if it doesn't work. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions for improving my hair?

My hairdresser said I need to use better quality shampoo but as they sell expensive shampoo there I'm not sure whether it's just a sales tactic.

Thanks in advance!

• CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,028 New bride
    edited 12 August
    I had an olaplex treatment and it did make a huge difference! It felt like it "wore off" after about 6 weeks though and it was back to being hard work.

I have been told a lot about just doing a protein mask once a month or so but haven't actually got around to it to try so cant vouch for it exactly.  

I do think higher quality shampoos and conditioners can do wonders, but i wouldnt bother buying from a salon, do some research and just buy them online its so much cheaper. I used Keratese for a while and it was pretty good!

Also make sure you hit the basics, dont use heat on your hair unless its unavoidable, and when you do use a heat protector spray!
  • I dye my hair and I wash/blow dry every 2 or 3 days. My hairs getting quite long and so the condition on the ends was getting quite bad.
    I've started using Philip Kinglsey Elastisizer every week or two and it's made such a difference! My hair is so soft now and much shinier. Definitely less breakage too.
    It is expensive but I bought the 1L bottle which is better value anyway and they had 30% off too so considering how long it'll last it doesn't work out too expensive! 
  • Thank you! I think I'm going to take the plunge and invest in some better products after payday and see if they make a difference.

I've read lots of good reviews of kerastase so I was already considering buying that.

I'll update if I find any miracles  :D
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,028 New bride
    Thank you! I think I'm going to take the plunge and invest in some better products after payday and see if they make a difference.

I've read lots of good reviews of kerastase so I was already considering buying that.

I'll update if I find any miracles  :D
    Please do!! I also just thought it might be worth trying Biotin supplements? I? used to take them quite a lot and they're great for hair and nails. You can get them pretty cheap in holland and barrett too if you just want to try it for a month and see
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,752 New bride
    I tend to use Tigi shampoo and conditioner, they often have it in Home Bargains and TK Maxx now so you can get it a bit cheaper. I don't see a massive difference between using those and using standard shampoo and conditioner though tbh.
    My hair is usually is amazing condition as I don't use a hairdryer or straighteners on it regularly, only 3 or 4 times a year. Heat absolutely destroys my hair. The only reason mine isn't so good any more is that I've had to start colouring it as I've started getting greys. I always use a hair oil (Mythic Oil or Extraordinary Oil) &  I've been using this recently, more as a leave in conditioner than for heat protection as I leave my hair to dry naturally, but it's made it feel so much batter and makes it look really smooth and it's weightless and doesn't make your hair 'crispy'; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garnier-Ultimate-Blends-Protection-Spray/dp/B01ABXDHWS
    Tigi S-factor Papaya Leave-in Moisture Spray is also fab and smells amazing.
    Phillip Kingsley Elasticizer is great too - definitely use an intensive conditioner once or twice a week.