Sunbeds?

I'm naturally fair, and am considering using a sunbed in the run up to the wedding (in 84 days time). However, I've never actually used one before, and as I am aware of the long-term damage, was wondering if anyone could give me any answers to some of the questions I have: Do I have to prep my skin beforehand or afterwards? How often should I use the beds and for how long in one sitting? Any advice or tips much appreciated! Thanks!

• LYNNIukLYNNIuk Posts: 1,046
    Why don't you have a St Tropez fake tan? You have to be really careful with sunbeds especially since your fair, being careful you don't burn and stuff. My sister uses them sometimes and you can tell when she does because she looks sunburnt. Personally I am having a tan and staying away from them. Are you a red head as well as being fair?
  • foghornukfoghornuk Posts: 47
    Hi littlemiss, no I'm blonde. I considered St Tropez, but had read another thread in the chatrooms some time ago about streaking - it would be just my luck that I go orange and stripey! I thought a sunbed tan would look more natural, but you're right - i don't wanna burn either!
  • LYNNIukLYNNIuk Posts: 1,046
    Quoted:
    Hi littlemiss, no I'm blonde. I considered St Tropez, but had read another thread in the chatrooms some time ago about streaking - it would be just my luck that I go orange and stripey! I thought a sunbed tan would look more natural, but you're right - i don't wanna burn either!

Well I have used both the spray tan and the trad St Tropez and I have to say that apart from looking like I had been rolling around in mud, the Tropez tan didnt mark my sheets or the clothes which I was advised to wear... And then the next morning in the shower it came off evenly, there was no streaks. I preferred the St Tropez tan though, the colour was better... I am going to have a trial run with my dress before I decide
  • bride1bride1 Posts: 1,664
    im blonde and been using sun beds, everyone always asks where ive been on holiday its really natural looking, as long as your sensible on them then no worries just a couple of sessions a week. just use cream that should be provided and about 6mins in a session

[Modified by: kel2 on May 01, 2006 01:36 PM]
  • cheryl654cheryl654 Posts: 366
    I'm doing stand up sunbeds 3 times a week until I get the desired effect and then will top up as I need to which I'm advised will be once a fortnight. I get wed mid August and have had 6 sessions of 3 mins and will go to 6 mins next week. I'm very fair too and do not usually use them but I'm the one who has had bad experience with St Tropez! Once in a lifetime and will stop as soon as I can.
  • HarrietPenguinHarrietPenguin Posts: 5,848
    A friend of mine who got married last year had 2 3 min sessions 2 weeks before her wedding and then a top-up 2 days before and looked beautiful - not obviously tanned but really glowing and natural. I wasn't going to bother but as I'm so pale and have an ivory dress think I'll follow what she did.
  • I'm doing the sunbed thing... am fair with blonde hair but rarely burn. Three reasons... 1 - want to be slightly golden on my wedding day, 2 - it helps prevent me having spots and 3 - we're off the central america hiking (amongst other activites) for our honeymoon and getting a slight tan now will reduce the chances of me burning while out there!
  • clareg22clareg22 Posts: 302
    i have dark hair but fair skin and i will be using a st tropez tan for my day. Ive had a few in the past and theyve always turned out ok as long as ive exfoilated beforehand. I was diagnosed with skin cancer 2 years ago, the mole was removed and I was given the all clear, I have never used a sun bed and have always taken precautions in the sun but i am unable to use a sunbed due to the fact I am at high risk of developing this again.
  • cheryl1976cheryl1976 Posts: 411
    Hi, i'm blonde, with fair skin. I used sunbeds very infrequenlty untill i developed a Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC) 3 years ago.. i've now had 5 in total. Its not life threatening but definately a wake up call! Now i won't go anywhere near them and wear factor 30+ on holiday (boring i know!). I'll be having a St Trpez for my wedding day. I'd say have a few done before hand from differnt places and then decide on the best, the 1st i had turned me orange, but i've now found a place thats really good. Sunbeds don't reduce the risk of burning and as you've got fair skin you're at a higher risk. Skin cancer is now 1 of the commonest cancers, so please think twice.
  • craftycharlicraftycharli Posts: 3,175
    I tend to agree with Cheryl I can never understand why people do things that they know are a risk to their health, for example why smoke when it is proven to make you at higher risk to so many diseases? Well this is the same why sun bed when it heightens your risk of skin problems including cancer!??!!! I don't get it. Ok so you'll look great on your big day but I don't think that is going to make you feel better when you end up with what can be a deadly disease!!!

I know that sounds really harsh but it should do cos that is the reality of the situation!! Just fake it - there are so many fake tans out there which are fabulous and DON'T harm you!!!! image