Maldive Honeymoon where would you recommend staying!?

Looking at the Maldives for Honeymoon even though it'll be end of July and in there monsoon season however heard it's just short sharp showers. Anyway don't have a clue where to stay all the resorts look lovely. Where would you recommend staying based on where you have been or where you have booked!?

Many Thanks xXx

• cakestincakestin Posts: 307
    We're going to 2 islands because we're spending the first week with our families and having a wedding ceremony there. We chose Kuramathi for our first week with everyone because it's quite a big island - plenty of restaurants and bars for everyone to enjoy. The accommodation has recently been refurbished and their All Inc A la Carte option looks really good. I think it was also very reasonably priced.

For our honeymoon week we are going to Soneva Fushi because it looks amazing. It's a big island but with only 64 villas so plenty of privacy. Each villa gets its own pair of bikes and the island has an observatory. I know most places in the Maldives seem quite dreamlike but, for us, this island seemed to above the "ordinary" and really special. It gets a 97% recommendation rating on Tripadvisor. It doesn't seem to be one of the obvious resorts that lots of people choose. But it is quite expensive.

Happy choosing! It's not easy!
  • EmmyflowerEmmyflower Posts: 58
    Hey!

Myself and my partner will be going to Meeru Island on the 3rd August and we thought we would risk the possible showers.

Have spoken to a lot of people who have visited and i have read online comments and i think its pot luck to be honest.

Some people had 2 weeks of sunshine and others had a few days.

I think it will be beautiful no matter what.

• Mags30ukMags30uk Posts: 35
    Hi,

We just booked our honeymoon today! We are doing a tour of Sri Lanka then heading to Medhufushi Island resort on the meemu atoll. It's a quiet island with just one bar and two restaurants but we were looking for somewhere really laid back to end our holiday. It is a 4* and we got a really great deal for halfboard via trailfinders. You'll find great reviews on tripadvisor. We also fancied the jacuzzi water villas on Meeru, they look amazing!

Good luck!
  • Luf can i ask how much ur paying. ur trip sounds amazing!
  • sel11sel11 Posts: 423
    Hello we just got back from Oluveli and it was lovely, We had a a jacuzzi water villa and could sit on our veranda and watch turtles and stingrays swim past! It was awesome, I am pretty sure you can not go v wrong with the Maldives!! xx
  • Mags30ukMags30uk Posts: 35
    Hi Caz,

All in including: first night hotel in Sri Lanka, tour(Hotels at half board), overnight in Male, resort at halfboard and all flights was £4200.

We are in a beach villa but as someone else mentioned it can be cheaper to updgrade accommodation when you get there. We've never been before so can't say for sure if this is the case. Again Tripadvisor reviews and forums are worth a good few hours read.

xx
  • Hey

We've just booked our honeymoon for 12th Aug next year (2011). We're doing a 1 week tour in Sri Lanka (Full board) then 1 week in the Maldives (All inclusive). We're staying on the Meeru island resort (it was highly recommended by the travel agents) in a water jaquzzi villa. Booked it with First Choice and the whole thing came to £5,800. Got a couple of extra bits thrown in with it because we said it was our honeymoon. Didn't think that the price was overly steep for what we're getting!!!!

Good look with booking yours image
  • JvLwithBabyBoyJvLwithBabyBoy Posts: 2,740 New bride
    we went to kuredu for our honeymoon and loved it. its a bigger island and theres loads to do but very quiet if you just want to relax. id highly recommend it. xx
  • JCHAPMANuk1JCHAPMANuk1 Posts: 51
    I ve been to Kuredu in the past it is amazing. All the staff were very friendly, the waiter remembered what drinks we liked and by the time we had chosen our starters he had put ice cold drinks on our table.

Although it is big island by Maldivian standard it never felt over crowded, and the activities they included were great...snorkle safaris where they take you to a deserted island and your guide points out all the sealife.

I was dubious about being all inclusive but the food was fresh...infact you saw the freshly caught fish being wheeled past you from the pier.

I could go on and on about Kuredu. Heaven on earth!
  • WHIZZ140WHIZZ140 Posts: 104
    Kuredu is the most amazing place I've ever been to. It was just paradise! Def recommend it image We went through Trailfinders and got 9 nights all inclusive for under £3000 between us (over easter week too)- we rang round other companies and no-one would match it never mind beat it! We booked beach bungalow, but wrote to the resort and asked for an upgrade as it was our hoeymoon. When we got there we found we were in a villa in the 'O' resort - so peaceful, relaxing and incredible, the tide comes in below you while you eat overlooking the sea... I could go on for hours as wellimage xx
    WHIZZ140 - we had the same! booked a beach bungalow for 2 weeks and when we arrived were told wed been upgraded to an o villa for free. amazing!
  • NikNiksNikNiks Posts: 736
    I've just booked Kuredu for our honeymoon in October - we went there in Nov 2007 and LOVED it.... can't wait to go back again!!!! xx
    Ahh NikNiks you're so lucky - going twice! We might put off kids another few years to save up and go again lol

TT2b - it was pretty amazing! And lovely they do it on a regular basis then! image
    yes! there were 5 other couples on our flight that also got upgraded and we met another honeymoon couple whod booked a water villa and then got a pool villa instead, although these rooms arent directly at the beach so not sure if thats all that.
    Didn't see the pool villas except that they were all hidden behind big walls by the looks of it so don't know. The Water villas looked nice but no beach either (unless you feel like walking for a whole, I dunno, 3 minutes ha ha). I loved our beach villa - but think if we were going back I'd go 4 a jacuzzi (?!) beach villa... Don't mean to hi-jack thread but at least if anyones thinking of going you're getting opinions from people who've been!!
  • Miss_PitstopMiss_Pitstop Posts: 342
    We've just booked to go to Sri Lanka for 8 days then onto Kuramathi for 8 days. We've gone for a beach villa on the top all inclusive package. We booked with Kuoni and I'm uber-excited!!
  • lisaweddinglisawedding Posts: 55
    I can recommend the Meeru, great food, people and value for money! Good luck image
  • loulou_bloulou_b Posts: 466
    i cant wait to get ourselves on honeymoon!! under 6 weeks to go now (sometimes i think im more excited about the honeymoon than the actual big day!!) we're off to kuramathi. cant wait! we paid for a garden villa (with kuoni) and got the early booking upgrade to beach villa. since then ive been emailing the island to ask about trips and private dining, and they confirmed that we're in a deluxe beach villa! result! image
  • suziewuzie123suziewuzie123 Posts: 115
    Hi, We are going to Sun Island Resort and Spa at the end of september. It is one of the bigger islands with more things to do as H2b would get quite bored if it was just beach for 2 weeks. we have got a super delux villa on the beach and i cant wait. booked with first choice. They were by far the cheapest on all resorts and if you go in the shop with the internet price they will still do that for you as its usually cheaper. x
  • mrslamb2bmrslamb2b Posts: 105
    Where would you get the email address to mail them?
  • loulou_bloulou_b Posts: 466
    mrslamb2b

have a look on the kuramathi website, i got the email off there.

its..... [email protected]
  • Miss_PitstopMiss_Pitstop Posts: 342
    Kuramathi also have a facebook page which they respond to very quickly.
  • J-reneeJ-renee Posts: 127
    Hi Sorry to hi-jack the thread, Whizz140 I've also booked Kuredu we booked a garden villa but would love a beach villa. We were thinking of upgrading when we get there depending on how much it costs. Great idea writing to the hotel direct, think I may try that. If you don't mind me asking what did you say to them? Sorry if that sounds a bit silly but I'm not used to asking for upgrades etc so not sure how to word it without sounding rude or pushy!
    J-renee: we did this before our honeymoon to kuredu in dec. i wrote them that were really excited about spending our honeymoon there and that friends of ours had had their honeymoon there and were offered a complimentary upgrade. i asked if this was still available. i also asked directly about excursions and when to book them, ie we wanted to go diving. we got a reply saying that an upgrade to a beach villa would cost x amount, basically implying that they dont do free upgrades. so i wrote back saying thank you very much, all polite and friendly (kept stressing how excited we were lol) and that we appreciate the info and would let them know regarding the upgrade. a few weeks before we went i wrote them again requesting a specific bungalow number, again mentioning our honeymoon but not the free upgrade. and when we got there, hey presto, it had worked and were allocated a villa in the o resort instead of the beach bungalow we booked.

its def worth a try and as long as youre polite and not pushy and dont expect it to happen you really have nothing to lose.
  • emoriaemoria Posts: 344
    Now i'm confused I am actually trying to decide between Meeru and Kuredu as i'm reading this! I have spent the last four afternoons reading both websites, reviews on tripadvisor.com (very good) and looking at peoples videos on Youtube....this is handy as many people have filmed the beach villas and the water villas. We are hopefully going for a Jacuzzi Beach Villa (out on stilts in the water) which look divine although more than we originally planned to pay....but you only get one honeymoon hey!?
    we looked at both as well and the deciding factor in the end was that kuredu has a house reef and meeru doesnt. meeru takes you to a nearby reef by boat every day but we wanted the option to snorkel whenever we wanted. im glad we went to kuredu, it was perfect for us and the snorkeling was amazing (manta on the house reef!). xx
  • leokatyleokaty Posts: 526
    We are going to Komandoo. Apperently one of the best islands in the Maldives. Unlike other islands is is very small and you really get a sense of being on a deserted island. its only 100m wide by 500m long. It has its own house reef, the only downside being that the solutude can be spoilt by people from neighbouring islands visiting it, but hey you cant have everything
    komandoo is run by the same people as kuredu. we passed it on our snorkel trip and it looks lovely, didnt stop there though.
  • RICHAS111RICHAS111 Posts: 250
    Hi can anyone who has been to Kuredu confirm if there is definately a house reef that you can access without going on a boat?

The reason I ask is that I was told on trip avisor forum that there is not a house reef but have seen a few people mention that there is.

We have chosen Kurumathi but havent booked it yet so it would be good to find out for definate about the reef at Kuredu before we make our final decision!

Thanks x
  • sweetie_k1sweetie_k1 Posts: 380
    Hi, we are planning to go to the W Hotel and spa it looks so modern and I love the fact you get your own plunge pool. We are also looking at going somewhere else for a week, maybe Thailand/Cambodia.