Changing your passport before you leave?

I changed my passport before we got married - it was so so exciting to get my first piece of post in my married name!

It only took 5 days to arrive too image It's really straightforward to fill out the forms, you just need to get your vicar/registrar to fill in a piece of paper confirming that you are getting married and confirming what your new name will be. You then fill out the application form in your married name, and you have to sign it with your new signature - this felt very strange!! There's plenty of guidance on the directgov website to help x

• debbiedoodebbiedoo Posts: 230

i haven't changed mine as we are going to vegas 3 days after the wedding and your new passport doesn't become live till your wedding day which means we'd be cutting it too close to register for american visas, plus i have like 7 years left on my passport

• nenjennenjen Posts: 1,524

My passport ran out five days before our wedding so I had to get it renewed anyway, but we booked our honeymoon for exactly 1 month after the wedding - we fly two weeks on Monday image x

• VictoriaLouiseBVictoriaLouiseB Posts: 2,951 New bride

I'm getting mine changed, my registrar currently has the pd2 form they need to fill in so just waiting for that back and then can send it off, I've already booked my honeymoon in my married name, we are flying 3 days after the wedding I'm so excited. The only thing I've seen a few people have a problem with is getting their photos countersigned but you don't have to do that unless you have changed dramatically since your last passport photo x

• nenjennenjen Posts: 1,524

I would advise getting your form and photo countersigned just to make sure that there won't be any delays in getting your new passport. I paid to have my form checked at the post office before it was sent and they checked that the form and photo were countersigned.

Most people who have known you for 2 years or more can do this - I know that a lot of people presume that it has to be a solicitor, accountant, doctor, local goverment official etc. but it can actually be anyone who is considered to be of "good standing within their community" which makes it pretty broad x

• Hi ladies,

Im not sure what i should do. My passport has run out, so need to renew this anyway. But we will be booking our honeymoon asap.

We are planning to go on honeymoon to Ameriaca 3 days after we get married, so not sure whether i change my passport with my surname now????

Really confused on what to do.

xxxximage

• heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848

As long as your passport and flight booking match when you travel it'll be fine, when do you get married/go on honeymoon? I think you can only change it a set time beforehand but that doesn't stop you booking your honeymoon in your married name as long as you renew your passport before you fly

I haven't changed mine, it doesn't run out for another 5 years so I'll do it when it needs renewing, doesn't bother me tbh and I refuse to pay to change my name when I don't need to

• debbiedoodebbiedoo Posts: 230

you can only apply for your american visa when your passport becomes live and your visa can take 48hrs or something to be autharised no auth means no travel. we get married 8th june and fly 11th june- our travel agent advised me against changing my nane as it was cutting it too close

• Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your advice. Im getting married the day after Wifey2b14 the 25th May next year image We will prob go on honeymoon on the 28th May (So Weds after we get married as we get married on a Sunday)

I will probably change my passport to my surname currently, then once we are married just change it again(after honeymoon), At least that way all my docs will be the same for when i travel image

xxxx

• spiderspider Posts: 71

I'm keeping my maiden name on my passport as I've got eight years left on it image

• heliganedenheliganeden Posts: 1,848
    Greek Girl 25052014 wrote (see)

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your advice. Im getting married the day after Wifey2b14 the 25th May next year image We will prob go on honeymoon on the 28th May (So Weds after we get married as we get married on a Sunday)

I will probably change my passport to my surname currently, then once we are married just change it again(after honeymoon), At least that way all my docs will be the same for when i travel image

xxxx

You'll have to pay the fee twice then, I think it's about £70 each time - if you don't need your passport until May next year when you go on honeymoon, why not just leave renewing it until closer to the time and just change it to your married name