Sri Lanka/Maldives v Mauritius in September

Hi there,

We're getting married at the end of August next year, and planning to go on honeymoon in the first couple of weeks of September.

Went to travel agents to look at a few options - one is a week in Sri Lanka, doing elephant rides etc, followed by a week in Meeru in the Maldives - however, I've heard it isn't the best time for the weather there.

The other is a couple of weeks in Mauritius - one of the hotels suggested was the Heritage Awali.

I feel kind of torn as I'd had my heart set on the Maldives, and although hadn't initially considered Sri Lanka - the idea of doing some activities there, followed by a relaxing week really appeals.As does the idea of one of the water huts - which I'd had my heart set on - and things like romantic dinners on the beach etc. However, it's a lot of money and I'm worried about the weather!

Mauritius looks really nice too - the plus point being it's a really good time to go weather wise. However, I know that while my fiance and I will want to relax a lot - we also want some activities to do during the day.

Was just wondering if any other brides had the same dilemma/any advice on this?

Thanks!

Lou

• MrsS2014MrsS2014 Posts: 139

We had a similiar dialema!! But our honeymoon is in June, we always wanted to go to the Maldives but like you it's a lot of money to spend sitting in the rain. So we have recently booked 2 weeks in mauritius, we chose mauritius because there is supposed to be a lot to do there, plus it has amazing beaches and gorgeous hotels, so hopefully we can do a mixture of relaxing in the beach cocktail in hand and exploring port louis, visiting the nature reserves and walking with lion cubs!! We were shown the heritage awali it looks amazing but we were told in June the weather is better on the north west of the island so have booked the maritim, very very excited!! Hope that's helped it is really hard deciding where to go!!x

• Hi Louise 08, i am getting married in November this year and we are doing 5 nights Sri Lanka then 9 nights Maldives. We would get bored 2 weeks on a beach so wanted something to do first hence going to Sri Lanka, we are staying in the national park with all the animals image It is expensive but once in a lifetime plus we've asked for money towards our honeymoon as our wedding gifts. It is the best time to go I think their rainy season ends in Sep but don't quote me on that. Can't you go a bit late maybe October time and just have a couple of nights away directly after your wedding?

• Sinead MSinead M Posts: 9

Hi Louise, the maldives are quite wet in September so wouldn't recommend going there as you won't be able to make the most of it. 

If you want to do elephant rides, Bai is a great spot. We had a holiday there and absolutely loved it, the people are really nice too.

We booked our holiday through honeymoon dreams and were totally clueless about where to go and what the weather was like, but Kelly helped us so much.

She recommended some great locations & we ended up going to the Maldives.

Maybe send them an email or call Kelly and she will give you better information.

Good luck

www.honeymoondreams.co.uk

• LeaBLeaB Posts: 1,706

Hi Louise, I am in the same dilemma. Originally we agreed to go to Italy for our honeymoon as h2b doesn't like just sunbatheing to my disappointment, but the cost of that is the same as going somewhere exotic and one off so I have managed to get him to agree to go long haul. We get married in Portugal in May 2014 and as a teacher h2b isn't flexible with hols so we need to go in August looking at Seychelles, Mauritius or Maldives. I am worried that their isn't much apart from watersports to keep him entertained so Mauritius or Seychelles are on top at the moment. Not sure which to go for though!!!

• MrsW2013MrsW2013 Posts: 65

We are getting married in 2 1/2 weeks and choose Mauritius and stuck to the North West part as that is supposed to be better for weather at this time of year. I have been told there is plenty to do and its not that big of an island so can get around and do alot.

Hope you manage to decide on something. x

• Future_MrsSFuture_MrsS Posts: 151

We had the same dilema, as we got married at the end of June. We ended up going to Mauritius and got back after two weeks last week!

We originally booked the heritage awali but changed it as tripadvisor reviews gave me last minute panic, and we stayed in a suite at the Maritim which was gorgeous! The weather was mainly hot, but did have a few cloudy days as it was their Winter, but didnt stop us sitting on the beach. We mainly lazed but did a couple of day trips which were amazing.

Hope this helps you ladies.xxxx

• Sorry for the late response to all this. Thanks for all the advice ladies! Really helpful

x