Tearing My Hair Out!

I am seriously struggling to find a suitable place for our honeymoon. I am quite picky which is part of the problem. I also pay far too much attention to Trip Advisor reviews.

All the places I look at are coming in at around the £6k mark for 14 nights and I'm terrified of wasting such a huge amount of money.

The main criteria are 14 nights, all inclusive, adult only, with nightly entertainment. I had pretty much decided on Couples Swept Away in Jamaica but there are a few niggles which have led me to discount that. I've since been looking at Punta Cana but a few people have commented on poor food, rough seas and lots of seaweed, which has put me off. 

I know that lots of people are going to Mexico but the seaweed issue keeps raising it's head there, too. I would like a soft sandy beach and clear calm sea ( wouldn't we all?!) 

I've seen a place in Antigua but it's exclusive to Kuoni and they are being a royal pain in the backside.

I'm just wondering if any of you could recommend anywhere that would be suitable ie good weather to travel to in Feb/March 2019?

One last thing - I don't want a butler!

• PottyPotty Posts: 480 New bride

heres a few we are looking at  Maldives, Mauritius, Bali, Seychelles, St Lucia?

Married September 2018, Baby due October 2019.  
  • MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Ive been to Punta Cana, the sea is choppy, but in a fun way. You can stroll through the surf but if you go deeper in there are waves, but they weee really fun, everyone was playing with them.

Seaweed happens, but the hotel cleared it all off the beach at the crack of dawn and it was clear and sandy all day then so I wouldnt let that put you off.

• LisaDToBeLisaDToBe Posts: 104 New bride
    MrsSpag2B wrote (see post):

heres a few we are looking at  Maldives, Mauritius, Bali, Seychelles, St Lucia?

I'm quite keen on Mauritius but I can't price anything up yet as the flights aren't out. I was very surprised at how few hotels there are in the Maldives that are adult only.

MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

Ive been to Punta Cana, the sea is choppy, but in a fun way. You can stroll through the surf but if you go deeper in there are waves, but they weee really fun, everyone was playing with them.

Seaweed happens, but the hotel cleared it all off the beach at the crack of dawn and it was clear and sandy all day then so I wouldnt let that put you off.

Thank you - good to hear!

• HelenNHelenN Posts: 125 New bride

We got engaged in the Dominican - all inclusive, adults only, night time entertainment every night with late night beach party's until 2am (beach away from hotel so can't be heard from rooms. 

It's called Cayo Levantado, a little island off the Dominican. I think we paid about £4000 for 2 weeks in September. It was incredible. Beautiful beaches all around, food amazing, restaurants amazing, they couldn't give you enough to drink. We'll definately go back.

The only niggle is that it's a 3 hour transfer from the airport , going by coach and speedboat. But they do stop off half way through at a cafe so you can go to the toilet and buy food/drink or stretch your legs.

There's only the one hotel on the island. The 'public beach' has daytrippers at certain times but it's beautiful. It's nicknamed Bacardi Beach, apparently where the Bacardi Breezer adverts were filmed. There are free boat rides to the mainland every day and the excursions are fantastic. We visited some island that was filmed for jurassic park, the tours are lovely x

• redhair82redhair82 Posts: 289

What about a Greek island? Santorini or Kefalonia? So beautiful and such lovely beaches. Not sure what the temperatures are like in February/March though! Or as a wild card, what about Japan? Such a lovely time of year there and apparently the beaches are beautiful and unspoilt! I don't think you'll find all-inclusive but would be secluded. https://www.insidejapantours.com/blog/2015/04/28/18-great-japanese-beach-destinations/

• Julia82Julia82 Posts: 123

It's the perfect time for the Maldives. It sounds pretty much exactly what you are looking for. It is paradise. I can vouch for that. xx

• I stayed the top end of Cancun when i went to Mexico and didnt see any seaweed at all. I have heard that further down, towards the Moon Palace is full of it though. 

If i were you i'd go for Maldives or Mauritius. They were my first choice but the time of year we'll be honeymooning wasnt the right time to go. Feb will be perfect. 

• Barbados! Feb/March is dry season and it is beautiful. We get married there in April 2019 and have been going all my life. 

West Coast is were you have the calm seas and the best hotels. You could defiantly get an amazing hotel for 2 weeks under 6k. There are a few all inclusive hotels on the island - I would look at Mango Bay, Tamarind and also the lone star- the lone star is not all inclusive but is perfect for a honeymoon. 

good luck !

Julia82 wrote (see post):

It's the perfect time for the Maldives. It sounds pretty much exactly what you are looking for. It is paradise. I can vouch for that. xx

That was our first choice when we first started looking but I'm finding it difficult to find adult only places and also a few people have said that 5-7 days is plenty there as there's nothing to do.

Michaela-9 wrote (see post):

Barbados! Feb/March is dry season and it is beautiful. We get married there in April 2019 and have been going all my life. 

West Coast is were you have the calm seas and the best hotels. You could defiantly get an amazing hotel for 2 weeks under 6k. There are a few all inclusive hotels on the island - I would look at Mango Bay, Tamarind and also the lone star- the lone star is not all inclusive but is perfect for a honeymoon. 

good luck !

Thank you. The England cricket team are playing the West Indies in Feb/March 2019 and it seems to have made all the prices increase!

• What were your niggles about Couple Swept Away, if you don't mind me asking? I had my honeymoon there a few months ago

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

We had our honeymoon in Mexico and only on one day was there any seaweed and it was cleared by 10am, we were there in augus5 so hurricane season. The beach playa Maroma was the most beautiful I have ever been on pure white sand so soft like icing sugar boy do I wish I was there right now,

LisaDToBe wrote (see post):

That was our first choice when we first started looking but I'm finding it difficult to find adult only places and also a few people have said that 5-7 days is plenty there as there's nothing to do.

Well i think that depends on the person. There is not much to do although there’s day trips and stuff. But you seriously relax into that way of life and I can’t think of anything better for a honeymoon! I went for 2 weeks and could have stayed another 2 with no problems And basically did nothing but swim sunbathe snorkel eat drink and be merry with one dolphin sunset boat ride! Also do bear in mind not many people take their kids to the maldives. It is not very kid friendly on account of the nothing to do. As long as there is no kids pool etc etc you will be fine. There was 1 small baby when we stayed for the whole 2 weeks. Most of them are adult only by definition. Plus although they are small islands they manage to feel deserted most of the time! It does depend what you want but I hate the thought of you dismissing it! X

Well i think that depends on the person. There is not much to do although there’s day trips and stuff. But you seriously relax into that way of life and I can’t think of anything better for a honeymoon! I went for 2 weeks and could have stayed another 2 with no problems And basically did nothing but swim sunbathe snorkel eat drink and be merry with one dolphin sunset boat ride! Also do bear in mind not many people take their kids to the maldives. It is not very kid friendly on account of the nothing to do. As long as there is no kids pool etc etc you will be fine. There was 1 small baby when we stayed for the whole 2 weeks. Most of them are adult only by definition. Plus although they are small islands they manage to feel deserted most of the time! It does depend what you want but I hate the thought of you dismissing it! X

Thank you so much! I will look into this again. I did wonder who would take their kids somewhere like that!

maria211017 wrote (see post):

What were your niggles about Couple Swept Away, if you don't mind me asking? I had my honeymoon there a few months ago

Ooh! First niggle is the lack of AC in most of the restaurants as H2B gets asthma when it's humid and I know he won't be able to relax and enjoy his meal if he's hot. Then there's the issue of 'Jamaica Time' as I work in customer services and if I'm paying over £6k for a holiday I would like first class service. Finally, I have a phobia of frogs and I've seen a couple of people mention that the sound of the tree frogs kept them awake. If I saw a frog there I'd spend the whole time petrified!

Happy to stand corrected by you on any of these points though as the beach and sea look bloomin' amazing!!

• LisaDToBe wrote (see post):

What were your niggles about Couple Swept Away, if you don't mind me asking? I had my honeymoon there a few months ago

Ooh! First niggle is the lack of AC in most of the restaurants as H2B gets asthma when it's humid and I know he won't be able to relax and enjoy his meal if he's hot. Then there's the issue of 'Jamaica Time' as I work in customer services and if I'm paying over £6k for a holiday I would like first class service. Finally, I have a phobia of frogs and I've seen a couple of people mention that the sound of the tree frogs kept them awake. If I saw a frog there I'd spend the whole time petrified!

Happy to stand corrected by you on any of these points though as the beach and sea look bloomin' amazing!!

Yeah ok well I can't lie, mealtimes were usually quite a sweaty affair! The food was incredible though. I picked this place because I just love beaches and sea swimming and it didn't disappoint! However the one downfall for me was that our beachfront room was really quite damp (don't know if they're all like that as I didn't want to complain) and I can't imagine that being good for an asthma sufferer! I'm sure you will find somewhere suitably awesome

Yeah ok well I can't lie, mealtimes were usually quite a sweaty affair! The food was incredible though. I picked this place because I just love beaches and sea swimming and it didn't disappoint! However the one downfall for me was that our beachfront room was really quite damp (don't know if they're all like that as I didn't want to complain) and I can't imagine that being good for an asthma sufferer! I'm sure you will find somewhere suitably awesome

Thank you so much, Maria!

• CFWCFW Posts: 234

Have you tried looking at other resorts in Jamaica? It is SUCH an amazing place to visit as there is just so much amazing things to do and see like Dunns River Falls, Ricks Cafe, the Glistening Waters. We went there for a treat 2 summers ago and honestly i think wherever we go on honeymoon will be hard to beat. I read as well about Jamaican time but i really did not experience that whatsoever! :) 

• MrsM2018MrsM2018 Posts: 142

Have you considered Thailand?

MrsM2018 wrote (see post):

Have you considered Thailand?

I'm finding that most of the Far East destinations don't do all inclusive as a board basis. Those that have been say it's because it's so cheap to eat out over there but I really don't want 1) the hassle of having to look for somewhere to eat each mealtime and 2) I don't want to take much money with me