Forum home Archived I got married in 2007

anyone having someone who aint there father giving them away

hi was wondering if anyone is haveing someone else give them away ?

i havent seen my father in over 6 yrs as we had a big fall out so my big brother is giving me away

• TABSukTABSuk Posts: 1,479
    Hi,

My Dad passed away so my big bro is also doing the honors in giving me away

• markyboy789markyboy789 Posts: 947
    My step father brought me up from the age of 9 yet my father is re married and we get on i decided to ask my brother just to avoid the issue. I would really like my step father to do it but couldn't imagine seeing my fathers face when i walk down the isle...

Plus by brother is so chilled out he'll keep me calm just before!

• pappworthpappworth Posts: 657
    My stepdad is. I haven't seen my father in over 10 years. My mum is giving the speach though or we would be there all night!
  • DONNAHukDONNAHuk Posts: 99
    Was thinking of having my 8 year old son to walk me down the isle but i think it might be too emotional. Ive not seen my dad in over a year, we have just started txting again but with the whole family situation it may be a little difficult! so i might be walking down on my own yet!

• WrighthWrighth Posts: 62
    Hello, I've also not spoken to my dad in many years

so have decided that my big brother can give me away and my little brother can give a speech. Not very traditional, but it's what makes me happy xx
  • XabiukXabiuk Posts: 1,686
    my step-dad is my dad, has been since i was three, so he'll be giving me away.xx
  • MrsJooMrsJoo Posts: 2,196
    Sort of... my Step-Dad is so much more of a Dad to me than my real Dad so he's giving me away. There was NEVER any question about it!

My real Dad was gutted at first but has no choice but to deal with it, harsh as I may sound!

My Sister is a lot closer to my real Dad but felt bad about asking him and not my Step-Dad so she had our Mum give her away.

xxx
  • florasukflorasuk Posts: 269
    My mum is giving me away...my dad sadly passed away in March. I know she will take good care of me though...

Cookiecat x

[Modified by: cookiecat on May 01, 2007 11:16 AM]

• leannesiuleannesiu Posts: 124

I think this day and age its not unusual to not have your dad walk you up the aisle out of choice - I've been to weddings whereby the brother or someone close to the bride (other relative) had that honor. My dad will be walking me up the aisle, can imagine it will be quite emotional for me as I've always felt blessed for having good parents.
  • My mum is giving me away and my step-father is doing the "father of the bride" speech.
  • FloristfloFloristflo Posts: 743
    My dad doesnt even know im getting married and anyone who tells him knows they will be taken out back and shot!!!lol

Mum's other half is giving me away and glad to do the job...his words!!!

flo x
  • belindaxxxbelindaxxx Posts: 2,277
    Well I didn't speak to my dad for a good few years and although me and h2b have been together 6 years my dad doesn't even know him really.

I have recently started talking to ym dad again and he does seem a changed man. He is trying his very best to do all the things I always wanted him to do.

However my big brother will be giving me away. I asked him to do it when me and my dad weren't speaking and he has been there for me no matter what.

I now feel really awkward about it and I shouldn't because this is what I want.

My brother will be making a toast and my mum will be giving a speech.

Things with me and my dad are still not hunkydory and I think when he knows this we could fall out again but if thats what he wants to do thats fine with me.

Only trouble is he paid for all of my sisters wedding and keeps offering money for ours but I don't want to take money from him when he will have no part in the day so keep refusing which my dad seems bemused at!

• aliz1973aliz1973 Posts: 274
    my dad died in november, so i am waiting to see if my god father is coming over for the wedding. - we were altogether in the summer and the three of us joked about how it could be him if dad didn't last that long. image

failing that, my brother is on standby, although mum did say she wouldn't mind!

to be honest, this is one of the most stressful and upsetting parts about the day for me, but i am trying not to worry about being upset.
  • youngbride25youngbride25 Posts: 388
    it doesnt matter who walks you up/down the isle as long as they are someone u love and adore and thats what counts
  • youngbride25youngbride25 Posts: 388
    it doesnt matter who walks you up/down the isle as long as they are someone u love and adore and thats what counts
  • sjhodsonsjhodson Posts: 20
    Hi girls. I'm not having my Dad because my family situation is very complex, so I'm not inviting any of them! Thankfully my in-laws are plentiful and wonderful! And I've got lots of great mates who'll share our day.

My best friend is giving me away, and because he's gay (and not a fan of civil partnerships) it's the only time he'll walk up the isle! He's doing the FOTB speech too, and I know it'll be brilliant and heartfelt, which is all that matters.

I hope it all goes well for those of you who can't or have chosen not to have your Dads do it for you XXXXX
  • This is for "Autumn Bride" - if she still reads the site! My (gay) best friend is giving me away (hopefully asking him on Saturday). How did his involvment in your wedding go? Is there anything I might not have thought of? Did your vicar know/have any issues with it? My dad died a few years ago, so that's why I need someone else to do it.
  • My mum is giving me away. Anyone who had their mum give them away? did they wear teh same colours as your bridesmaids or something else?
  • My mum is giving me away. We lost my Dad in September, and although I have two older brothers it felt right to ask my Mum.

MrsMerchtobe - my mum will be wearing cream with accessories and corsage to match the bridesmaids x
  • My mum is giving me away. We lost my Dad in September, and although I have two older brothers it felt right to ask my Mum.

MrsMerchtobe - my mum will be wearing cream with accessories and corsage to match the bridesmaids x
  • vandalswifevandalswife Posts: 100
    thats sounds lovely! Might suggest it to mum too x
    that sounds lovely. might suggest it to mum too x
  • My dad passed away 3 years ago, I dont have any brothers and I'm not close to my mum so I'm have my dad's best friend give me away...he's dead chuffed which is nice, but shall I ask him to do an honorary FOB speech??
    that sounds lovely KAren thanks for advice
    sorry about all the repeats- computer playing up