Forum home Archived I got married in 2008

Tips for nervous bride to be!!

Hi Everyone,

Like all of you I am so excited we are getting married next month!!! However, I am also starting to feel really nervous now and I would be grateful for any tips you might have for coping with nerves on the big day and the run up to it!! Really scared I'm going to fall apart on the day at this rate!!!

Thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• d7pd7p Posts: 298
    I too am worried about nerves/tears etc. I'm just telling myself that this is one day that I really want to savour and enjoy & smile during! This way I think my pep talks to myself might have some impact between now & the day itself. It's really a case of mind over matter!

Dx
  • I know I am the same I keep feeling really nervous then talking myself through the day bit by bit thinking 'what is there to be nervous about'?!!! Easier said than done though!! I am normally such a confidant person I don't know what's happening lately I think the whole thing is just overwhelming. I think my main fear is walking down the aisle in front of everyone and saying vows in front of them - although I refuse to change a single thing as I know deep down I really want to say my vows infront of everyone we care about. Thinking of trying some rescue remedy - never tried it before (as I said - normally a confidant soul)!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • d7pd7p Posts: 298
    I've found Rescue Remedy to really help. It just steadies things & stops the nerves completely taking over. I tried Kalms once, but I think you have to take them regularly and I could never remember to take them! I too am not looking forward to being the centre of attention - particularly the walking down the aisle bit. Some of my family have basically said that I'll just have to cope, but it's not as easy as that sometimes. Just remember to enjoy it - this is my mantra now!

Dx
  • karinallfreekarinallfree Posts: 223
    we had our rehearsal last week and we both got tearful, so now Im really anxious that Im going to crack up on the day! Ive got some rescue remedy as well and will start taking them next week to keep the jitters at bay. My friend got married last xmas and when she found herself choking up when saying her vows, she paused, composed herself and looked up ( apparently it helps stop you crying) apart from that think we will all have to just follow our emotions on the day!! I hate being centre of attention and am really panicking about walking in and saying vows ( our guests are also going to be standing very close to us!!) but I just remember that everyone there is a friend and supporting us xx
  • Have a glass of champagne or two! This should calm nerves! Hehe

• im just so worried i wont be able to speak!
  • mehubandbubmehubandbub Posts: 932
    I have been to a wedding where the bride didn't really want to get married. It was abroad (south Korea) and there if you are not married by 26 then you are really looked down on, anyway she was doing a masters and wasn't ready to get married yet, anyway her parents made her as they didn't want to be shamed. she just tried to smile all day and I found the whole wedding awful. I decided then if I wasn't go to cry buckets and buckets of happy tears on my wedding day I wasn't going to get married. I looked at the bloke I with and split up with him. I got together with my h2b and I cry at the thought of marrying him. on August 5th, I shall cry buckets at my wedding and I will be very proud to do so, as it is because I really mean it and I am so happy.

Girls, don't be ashamed to cry, show everyone you really really mean it.

xxxx
  • ClaireTaylorClaireTaylor Posts: 249
    Mrs E 2B. That is a great way to look at it. Love it! If I can't keep myself composed then I will just let them come out. I will though try not to cry though just because I don't want to have to re-apply my make up and waste time away from my 'husband', friends and family. I will keep your comment in mind though if it all falls apart. Thank you!
    Yeah, there is a flaw in my plan, my eyes go huge and puffy when I cry. Oh well.

xxx
  • Awww Mrs E 2b that is so sweet!!! Unfortunately I am more worried about throwing up as I always feel sick when I'm really nervous!!! Fingers crossed the champagne does the trick!! Thanks everyone for your replies xxxxxxxxx
  • MrsShrekhamMrsShrekham Posts: 518
    I'm not scared of walking down the aisle or saying my vows....but I am cacking it in case I come over all un-neccessary and pass out....oh well could always make £250 off you've been framed eh lol x
  • i get very sick when im nervous and have been suffering just at the thought of it, I fainted in my wedding dress! I have lost loads of weight because of this but..... i might just be a extreme version of nervousness.... anyway i went to my doctors (i have been diagnosed with ibs before as a result of social stress) and he has put me on Beta blockers and the change has been tremendous i still feel sick sometimes but i am coping sooooo much better. If its really bad see the doctor there are things that can help.
  • chabaukchabauk Posts: 115
    mrs e2b, can you recommend any good waterproof makeup? i am going to plan for full on blubber face and if I don't cry then that's a bonus. ..but it will happen i know it!
    That is a good point, I need to get some. Actually I don't know any good waterproof make-up as I don't actually usually cry very often at all. I am having my make-up done for me though hopefully they will have some. (fingers crossed).

Saying I don't cry, mention wedding to me and I am off, it is a month today to my wedding and I cried at that in the car by myself. Oh dear!!
  • I read an article in a recent wedding magazine which basically said:

Eat something on the morning of the wedding, even just a slice of toast, to keep blood sugar up (or something along those lines).

Keep breathing- deep breaths. When we are nervous, we tend to take in more breath and apparantly this can cause you to faint.

Lavender, long bath, hot drink the night before to help sleep.

Hope this helps! x
  • Wow thanks everyone!! Sometimes it's just nice to know there are people going through the same range of emotions!! Littleloubylou thanks for that I may go to the doctors as I really am terrible for feeling sick when I get nervous and I too keep getting waves of it when I'm in my wedding dress - even visiting the florist the other day - ha! Think although I am very excited it's all just quite overwhelming so may need something to get me through it all!! If nothing else I'll just go with princess71's suggestion and make sure it's caught on camera!!! xxxxxxxxxx
  • dolanlauradolanlaura Posts: 255
    I think I', going to use some rescue remedy, just to take the edge of things. When I was CBM for my sister I was more nervous then her, so put some in water and it worked wonders. Good luck ladies and enjoy, can't beleive I only have a month to go...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • LittleboboukLittlebobouk Posts: 5,369
    I think i'll be carrying a mop around with me there are going to be so many tears lol ...Instead of mascara consider getting your eyelashes tinted instead image
  • clairethornclairethorn Posts: 131
    Quoted:
    Wow thanks everyone!! Sometimes it's just nice to know there are people going through the same range of emotions!! Littleloubylou thanks for that I may go to the doctors as I really am terrible for feeling sick when I get nervous and I too keep getting waves of it when I'm in my wedding dress - even visiting the florist the other day - ha! Think although I am very excited it's all just quite overwhelming so may need something to get me through it all!! If nothing else I'll just go with princess71's suggestion and make sure it's caught on camera!!! xxxxxxxxxx

lol, yes i agree, princess71's suggestion is great. i also need waterproof make-up! anyone know a good brand?

when i went on holiday a couple years ago someone put fake individual lashes on for me so i didn't need mascara, i just trimmed them so i didn't look like a drag queen. they were good til i started picking them off on day 6 of hol! i might try that again to save streaks!

i don't feel too nervous at the moment, but am sure it will come

have appointment with dress-fixer on tues so after that maybe will feel happier with that issue!

can't watch romantic films at mo as in floods with them, and can't pick wedding music, too emotional!image
  • chabaukchabauk Posts: 115
    you can't watch romantic films?! I think you should watch more, go for the de-sensitised approach.

I am really jealous as I don't have time to watch any films, am so busy I had to cancel my subscription image
    ok, maybe i will take your advice and watch loads of slushy stuff!

usually i am too busy too but had last week off poorly so was bored!!!
  • Hey guys - how are all your plans coming along?? I seem to be getting busier by the day. Had a bit of a wobble in my dress today as I put it on with veil and tiara etc and just found it all so overwhelming!! Miss L what rescue remedy did you have that you put in water? I thought they were drops for your tongue!!! Definitely going to get some as I'm getting worse by the day! Also h2b's parents are going to France on hol before the wedding so I've put an order in for 10 bottles of champagne - might need to drink 5 of em on the day to steady my nerves lol!!

On a lighter note - where is everyone off to on honeymoon??

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    hi tiffany.

so it was a bit emotional with the whole kit on then?

you can put rescue remedy on your tongue or in water, and they do pastilles too!

ah champagne, yes a very good idea, you go for it!

i'm off to dominican republic, anyone else?

• ApeseyApesey Posts: 1,395
    paphos, cyprus

i would also like advice on waterproof make up coz know i will cry.

i cried when that young girl won the tennis saturday - how sad is that? image

xx
    It is not sad Apesey it is an emotional time in our lives!

I am getting married in Cyprus and then we are going travelling round West Coast America, on to Rarotonga then we are going to New Zealand where we are staying for a year. wow ho!
  • Wow some fab honeymoons!!! I never realised how difficult it would be deciding where to go end of August as everywhere is in bloody hurricane season!! We ended up going for Dubai and Maldives - think it's Maldives rainy season but lots of people have mentioned you don't get many downpours and then the sun comes out straight after anyway!! I actualy think tropical rain can be quite romantic too!

Yeah it got a bit too much during the lil dress rehearsal!! It is amazing though what a wedding dress and veil can do - you just suddenly become a bride and just feel so special!

Grrr I have just tried to copy and paste a link for you Apesey for waterproof mascara and my sodding laptop won't work!! Basically if you type in 'waterproof mascara' into the search bar it will throw up loads of old threads for you on similar topics. Hope that helps xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • i cry when i get nervous im dreading walking down aisle and saying my vows least its at a register office so not very big! also nervous about the first dance we have not even picked a song yet!! xxxxxx
  • wainjwainj Posts: 603
    Hiya - Kalms night time are excellent if you need help sleeping.... I have been having really bizarre dreams lately! x
  • scarlet4scarlet4 Posts: 5
    tiffany2007uk 
    Hi tiffany, I think this site will help you a lot (http://www.emilyexon.com) . Your experience to your wedding will be grateful after you read these tips. 

• scarlet4 wrote (see post):
    tiffany2007uk 
    Hi tiffany, I think this site will help you a lot (http://www.emilyexon.com) . Your experience to your wedding will be grateful after you read these tips. 

Her wedding was nearly a decade ago..!