Forum home Archived I got married in 2011

what do i do?

i know im not getting married til 2011 but i dont know who to ask to walk me down the alsie if any1. i dont have parents my mum died when i was really young and i have nothing to do with my old man since i was 3. My sister brought us up (me and my twin) from the momet my mum died she has been there for evertything thick and thin. i did think of just walking down byself but the more i plan my wedding and decide who is doing what i dont know what to gave my sister as nothing seems to be right for what she has done i want to gave her something special to do but then i want to walk down byself because i want to think that my mum is there with me any advice please.xox

[Modified by: jackalex on 21 October 2008 00:10:06 ]

• flocky4flocky4 Posts: 241
    can,t say what you should do ,but i do know 1 thing your mom will be there with you every step of the way even if you have your sister to give you away

hope this helps
  • thank you sweet pea yeah it does.xox
  • BeachbrideukBeachbrideuk Posts: 2,154
    I think during the ceremony, the officiant will say "who gives this woman to be wed"

If that is the case I think it would be very fitting to be your sister, as she has bought you up.

I think it would be a lovely gesture for someone you are so close to.

Your mum will be with you throughout the whole day anyway, but you may be glad of you sisters persence just before you walk down the aisle as the nerves take!

Good luck with whatever you decide

xx
  • MissS85ukMissS85uk Posts: 130
    This is a difficult one! It would be a lovely gesture if your sister walked you up the aisle but it's really up to you - whatever you feel comfortable with.

I'm in similar situation, my dad died when I was young and my grandparents helped my mum (who was quite young) to bring me up. My mum has now remarried and i'm really close to my stepdad too. Think I'm going to have both my stepdad and my grandad walking me down the aisle hopefully.

Good luck with your decision

This is a difficult one! It would be a lovely gesture if your sister walked you up the aisle but it's really up to you - whatever you feel comfortable with.

I'm in similar situation, my dad died when I was young and my grandparents helped my mum (who was quite young) to bring me up. My mum has now remarried and i'm really close to my stepdad too. Think I'm going to have both my stepdad and my grandad walking me down the aisle hopefully.

Aaaarrrgh! sorry - dont know how I ended up posting that 3 times, and can't find a way to delete! x
    Aaaarrrgh! sorry - dont know how I ended up posting that 3 times, and can't find a way to delete! x
  • yes i think you should ask ur sister should do it
  • no1tamno1tam Posts: 29
    Hi hun,

I am in a very simnilar position. My Mum died in 2005 and she was everything to me, and I found it hard to contemplate marrying without her about. My Dad recently died very suddenly in July and I now realise life is too short and we need to get on with it.

So I too have no one to walk me down the aisle. I am sure my Dad would want my cousin to do it, although I do not know him a great deal, except that he is a lovely man. Then there is my sister and there is only the 2 of us left, and we have been thru everything together so only today I was contemplating asking her to walk me down the aisle rather than be my Maid of Honour. I have warned my sister that I would like her to do a speech during the wedding breakfast, and I am seriously thinking about her being the one to give me away. I really feel it needs to be someone who really knows me and I have to know them and also I really feel they need to 'know' my H2B in order to give me to them.......does that sound daft? But that is how I feel after much thought.

I am sure your sister would be very honoured, and I think as she has raised you, it is very appropriate. For my sister, we have been thru thick & thin together and lost so much in our parents and only have eachother from our immediate family network, so why not have the one person who has known me forever and lived thru everything with me hand me over to someone she knows will look after me? Infact I think I have talked myself into this for sure now LOL!

Good Luck in deciding hun, and make sure you feel comfortable whatever you decide. x

I would just like to add..........I strongly believe that that both my Mum & Dad will be there for my big day and as a way of making them part of it, we are going to release 2 doves in memory of them both. x

[Modified by: Tying the Knot! on October 26, 2008 05:26 PM]

• lucyjuklucyjuk Posts: 223
    Hi babes - firstly you don't have to have anyone but I can see why you'd want someone - I do. The words have now changed - you are no longer 'given away'. The words are 'who brings this woman to be married to this man'. The person doesn't say anything at all.

I think it'd be lovely if you asked your sister, it would be a real public declaration of how much she has done for you and means to you. Really lovely.

Good luck

Elle