Forum home Archived I got married in 2011

Does it have to be serious????

We've now got to the stage where we are starting to think about themes/colours for the wedding and the more I think about it the more I want to put my personality into the wedding. trouble is, that means it not being very sensible.

I am worried that people expect tradition, such as Canon in D for walking down the aisle, rather than She's so lovely by Scouting for Girls!!!! How much tradition should there be and where do you draw the line with fun and games. I was thinking of table names as spirits (favour could be a mini of that drink!!!) and apple martinis instead of bucks fizz!!!

What do people think? How serious should it all be???????image

• i think that sounds great, it should represent you and your h2b, were having stevie wonder sign sealed delivered im yours on the way back out!

you dont want to make your guests feel uncomfortable but really the skies the limit if you take that into consideration! xx
  • LOL That is a great song, we were thinking of Celebration by Kool and the Gang!!!

[Modified by: Sparkle83 on December 29, 2008 06:55 PM]

• LizaAnnLizaAnn Posts: 201
    You should pick songs you want....

Its your wedding, and it should reflect you and your H2Bs personalities.... So, if those songs are important to you and mean something to you, you should use them!!!

I think that it will bring a smile to people's faces
  • I agree! I doubt anyone would comment or be disappointed by a lack of tradition. It's more about you and your man and what you both want - if thats a bit different then even better! Go for it!
  • carleysmcarleysm Posts: 200
    I think you should have exactly what you like, why have a serious day is you and h2b are not comfortable! i want scouting for girls too!!v xxxx
  • kimber-kimber- Posts: 2,663
    we're having fun stuff in our wedding. for example, we love will ferrell, and so we're naming our tables with will ferrell quotes, and yes, we're having a boats and hoes table (stepbrothers...fantastic!!!). ifit offends anyone, its not meant, it's just something we love!!! also, we're walking up the aisle to queen, but having quite traditional songs up until then!
  • I think your ideas sound great! I love the scouting for girls song and it will make everyone smile because they will know it's your sense of humour coming through!

Ive heard of loads of people naming tables after drinks and having the minitures as favours, I think thats a really good idea! As for the apple martini instead of bucks fizz - yum!
  • aj10baj10b Posts: 468
    we are having bob marley and ub40 songs,our favorites!i am also wearing a black dress.its your day no one elses!
  • Gini_McGini_Mc Posts: 238
    I am thinking about having Give me a Reason to Love You by Portishead, To walk up the aisle. I just love it I think it is really sultry. If you don't know it it is the music that is on the ad for Mistresses (do you think that is a bad omen???).
  • I think that your wedding should reflect your personality, its your day after all!!

Our main love is music, so we are having the foo fighters for when we sign the register, our first dance is biffy clyro 'mountains' and we are wanting plenty of rock music played on the night as well as tunes that are more 'normal'. We are asking people to send in music requests with thier rsvps so that we play what people want.

Our tables are going to me named wither after edward monkton characters or after characters from Warhammer 40k as my h2b is a fanatic.

Our favours will be love heart sweets, cheap and cheerfull lol, one of our readings is the lovely dinosaur by edward monkton too.

Our wedding cake is going to be a cupcake tower with different flavoured cakes, plain, chocolate, carrot etc.

We want people to remember the day as being 'us', and not just remember it for being a wedding if that makes sense.
  • katie40ukkatie40uk Posts: 1,264
    wow this thread is quite old - can i still comment? lol!

im having a problem with this im not a big fan of doing things just because they are 'traditional' but everything i say i want my mum critizises (cant spell that word!) im getting really fed up!

i love the idea of having music because it puts a smile on our faces - i want fine young cannibal 'she drives me crazy' and loads of fun songs! it'l put a smile on peoples faces!

has anyone else had problems with people critizising everything? how did/do you cope with it? do you compromise or do you do what you want?

sparkle83 - are you still planning your wedding or has it passed?

katie xxx
  • u do what u want to do. i wouldn't worry about not being traditional enough. no point doing things to please others if its going to make u wish u didn't afterwards.

h2b and i have booked our wedding without any family knowin, so if anyone doesn't like what we've done its too late cos its booked lol

xx
  • sarahlawsonsarahlawson Posts: 1,435
    Its your wedding sweet do you what you want!!! We are incorporating tradition with what we want!

We are having a civil ceremony in a castle (My Grandma is religious and her hair will curl, but its my wedding) We are signing the register to better off together by jack johnson. We are having table names named after planes as h2b is in the RAF. We are having a caracature and a jazz band and we are having a first dance for our bridesmaids as well as us!!!
    its just hard when everything i want and get excited about gets critizised - i think i will just keep what i am doing to myself from now on as on the day im sure she will be so happy she wont have time to complain!

i love the idea of a first dance for the bridesmaids! i think i am going to tell the dk specail songs i want played for special people as when we are drunk we can all stand in a circle and sing to eachother!! haha i love being drunk with my girlys image

another thing she will HATE is we are going to name tables by putting quotes in from peep show!! the ruder the better i think ha xxx
  • helenb2209helenb2209 Posts: 5,102
    We are having our wedding as fun as possible. we are quite easy goin and prefer a laugh always.

So ceremony is going to be normal, but with our chosen songs for different parts. Yes the Killers are probably gonna be played.

Table names-we are having things associate with us. So some are

Friends

Scuba diving

Deap sea fishing

Shopping

Liverpool FC

Things like that.

Its wat we want, some people wont understand why but people that are close will know why we chosen certain things.

Its about you and h2b, what you think you would feel comfy with.

x

[Modified by: All loved up on October 04, 2009 05:42 PM]

• Quoted:
    wow this thread is quite old - can i still comment? lol!

im having a problem with this im not a big fan of doing things just because they are 'traditional' but everything i say i want my mum critizises (cant spell that word!) im getting really fed up!

i love the idea of having music because it puts a smile on our faces - i want fine young cannibal 'she drives me crazy' and loads of fun songs! it'l put a smile on peoples faces!

has anyone else had problems with people critizising everything? how did/do you cope with it? do you compromise or do you do what you want?

sparkle83 - are you still planning your wedding or has it passed?

katie xxx

Hi Katie

Yep still planning - not until 2011 for me!!! So loads of time for crazy plans!!!

Yes I have had loads of hassle from people too. Especially as my brother is getting married next month and his is a black tie, classy do and mine is the total oppositte. I still think you should always have what you want and not what other people think you should.

Go with your heart and I think a day to make people smilw will be remembered and enjoyed by people. xx
    yeh i agree its just hard to hear the negative comments but on the day everyone will be so happy they won't care! i think it'l be good to add personal touches as thats what everyone will remember. i was going to walk down the aisle to tina turner simply the best (but cant now coz the band we are having won't be able to play it) and everyone was mocking me but i said you go to other weddings and hear 'here comes the bride' so you know your at A wedding - you come to a wedding and hear tina and your gonna know whose wedding you are at - MINE!!! lol

we are both quite quirky and i want to portray that in the day, and i'll much prefer it if its less formal and not 'serious'. we went to a wedding fare at our venue today it was gorgeous, its a bit posh for us so we are totally going to lower the tone when weve had a few drinks - but thats us though so hey ho!

xxx
    lol grangebex i love the idea of reading green eggs and ham thats fab! but please dont scare me with your labour story i havent had children yet...10 days and stitches OUCH!! haha xxx
  • IMPOIMPO Posts: 86
    We want a fairly trad wedding (getting married in parents parish church, etc) but we're going to have "Nothing Can Stop Us Now" by Tim Minchin as our first dance. We think.

As we both love Tim Minchin. I guess that could change over the next 2 years but still. The only thing I'm a bit worried about with that song is the last 2 lines... Ah well, we both love it.
  • omg do whatever you want! I am walking down the aisle to Beauty and the Beast cos it's our fave disney film!!!
  • Jess83ukJess83uk Posts: 402
    I really strongly believe that your wedding is the perfect opportunity to put your own personal stamp on things and share your personalities with friends and families.

I really feel that it shoukd be YOUR dream day and no one elses, so I say totally go for wherever your heart takes you.

I'm having a bit of a mix of tradition and comedy.

For starters we're doing it on a yacht in Cyprus so that's not traditional at all.

I'm having some carricature crosswords made and all the questions will be relevant to me & H2B, we can leave them lying around for when we're off having photo's taken, hopefully it should get people talking.

I'm also having my Maid Of Honour make a speech at the wedding breakfast which hopefully should be quite funny.

I've found a couple of humerous readings but I'm not sure yet whether to stick with serious readings for the ceremony.

My wedding cake is not going to be traditional as I'm having cup cakes.

My bridesmaid dresses are very funky and modern and not really bridesmaid dresses at all, I bought them from Debenhams.

I want to have a slideshow playing of old ohoto's of me H2B, ones together and also ones of us growing up.

I say just go with what you get excited about. If it's something that you think would be a great idea then go for it.

Why have the same old thing as every other wedding when you can do something more personal to you.
  • PixenPixen Posts: 607
    ohhhh definatly do what you want to do, and if anyone critisises (sp) you - tell them no more details of the wedding - they'll miss out on the excitement and it'll be their own fault!! It's your day so do it your wayimage
  • I really think you should go with your heart and reflect your personality!! I agree with everyone who has said they want people to remember their wedding for the personal touches rather than the tradition. My H2B and I hate sponge cake yet we are both chocoholics to we are having a huge chocolate cake decorated with yet more chocolates! As it is a christmas theme we are having mulled wine and hot chocolate served while the photos are being taken and having mini gingerbread men as favors. My son is begging for us to somehow get Spongebob in there somehow, maybe table names after the characters? I never thought I would have Spongebob at my wedding ha ha