Forum home Archived I got married in 2011

Im getting married in 2011 and have no idea where to start!?

Hi Im getting married in June 2011 and have no idea where to start, I know what theme i want and have a kind of scrap book but feel a bit unsure of how to go about sorting everything....

Anyone else in the same boat???? image

Thanks

FutureMrsRedman xx

• sprite68sprite68 Posts: 727
    Hi.

First of all, congratulations!

Well done on having your theme already - we still haven't really got one & we get married next May!

I don't think there's any real set order to doing things - some things fall into place by accident - like you may be out shopping for something else & see 'the' shoes (for example).

However, I would say venue & registrar first. We sorted out our venue, then when we spoke to the registrar they were fully booked so we had to re-arrange with our venue - luckily only had to move by one day though, but it does mean we are now a Friday rather than a Saturday. However, we have found bonuses from this - some things are cheaper, key things are less likely to be booked on a Friday than a Saturday therefore giving you more choice (I'm thinking florists & photographers mainly).

After the date & venue, you can then move onto things which need you to know these things, such as photographers, florists & of course the dress!

I would advise sorting out your dress before any bridesmaids - I had a clear idea of what I wanted for them, but my preferred style would not have worked with the dress I ended up choosing for myself. When you have chosen your dress, you can sort out jewellery, tiara, shoes, underwear, etc. Also you can then get ideas about what flowers you want. I didn't realise, but the style of bouquet is also dependent upon the style of your dress - I hadn't even thought about it, but when I first went to see a florist she asked for a picture of my dress & my BM dresses - doesn't have to be you in them, just the style of dress is fine.

I chose all my colours before I sorted out my invitations too. I've made my own, so I made them in my chosen colours (ivory card (my dress), brown writing (BM dresses), pink ribbon (flower accents will be in this).

With just over 6 months to go we still have to sort out cake (this can be tailored to your colours, etc, if you already have dresses sorted), rings, flowers (although I think I know what I want after a visit this morning), menswear (again, you need your colours first).

Good luck with it all - at least you have plenty of time left to get organised - we only got engaged in July this year! x
  • Jess83ukJess83uk Posts: 402
    Hiii I am a June 2011 bride too.

I have got a lot of things sorted and booked already but that's just because I'm far too organised for my own good, I'm sure I have OCD ha,ha.

The best thing I can reccommend is to get your venue booked first. You will be surprised how quickly they get booked up.

When I started enquiring back in May 2009 many venues were already taking bookings for 2012, so unless you're planning to marry out of season then I'd definately sort the venue first.

Once that's sorted you can then start researching suppliers and getting quotes for some of the other main things like dress, bridesmaids, photographer, cake etc

Then you can start thinking about the finer details such as favours, table decorations etc.

But first things first, get researching your venues.
  • Agree with everyone else, its venue and church/civil you need to get sorted ASAP!

Everything else will follow on from there.

I'm a July 2011 bride and so far have sorted: Venue, Church and caterers. photgrapher will be booked in the new year and then we'll wait for a bit and sort everything else out in Summer 2010
  • Hi i am also getting married in 2011 (i ws only proposed to on Friday) i have no idea when and where to start and whether it is too early to start trying on dresses!!!!
  • willsgirlwillsgirl Posts: 960
    HI hun, firstly congratulations on getting engaged!

It's absolutely fab planning! The first thing we did was choose a date, then we chose a venue, and things kind of fell into place from there. We asked our bridesmaids/best man and ushers straight away so there were no qualms about that. We then just started enquiring about different things - most people just want deposits at minute, we've paid venue deposit and photographer deposits, and we've sorted who's doing what with flowers etc but it's best to set a budget too so you know where you're aiming for! And finally, this website is amazing for ideas etc! Enjoy! xxx
  • Hi Kelly2011

Thnx for the advice we wud love 16th April 2011 so really need to start thinking about seeing the vicar.

You seem very organised when is the date of your wedding??
  • There are lots of articles on this within this website. A good starting point is also ANY wedding magazine which will give you a good run down of how to prioritise your planning. x
  • Best advice I can give is book your venue and then ask their advice regards other vendors as they know who does a good job and who'll still be there in 2 years. Reliabilty is the key word when your wedding is so far in advance. The internet is a great thing for a looksie but at the end of the day your local suppliers are who you'll turn to.

PS. Don't get carried away and talk about it ALL the time to your H2B, scares the pants off them. image
  • We choose a date, began the veue search, found the venue, booked it, then I booked a dress maker for mine and Bms, then i found a cake and booked it, i am now in process of finding a florist/venue dresser

I am enjoying every second of the planning, with time on your hands its really easy
  • I too am getting married in July 2011, I am currently looking at venues, found a DJ, photographer and been to a few wedding fairs. Id say venue and then decide on everything else later on. I have most things sorted in my head but havent made any solid bookings yet, as I simply cant decide!

The dresses is the most exciting bit! i think I tried on a few dresses before I even looked at venues!!!! mainly cos I was superstitious and wouldnt try them on before I got engaged!

I hope you have a lovely wedding and get everything organised bit by bit! it all comes together i have been told!

My friend is organising a wedding in 6 months, and is jealous I have 18mths!!! I hope with all that time that everything will be just perfect!!!

Good luck!
  • in all the wedding magazines they have a planning calender, what to do when from 12 months out. Don;t worry too much if it says that you should have already done something a year out - mainly use it for ticking off the major things.

Don't worry you have plenty of time, I have only just got engaged and am planning to get married next summer!
  • JWlovesWNJWlovesWN Posts: 1,548
    Hey ladies

I too am getting hitched in 2011 we are hoping for a July wedding. My FIL2B is giving us £3,000 towards our day which is fantastic I have found a venue that I like H2B would get married in a pub lol he is leaving all the planning to me. I know things get booked up quite far in advance but FIL says that we are too early and we have plenty of time. We will be saving about £150 each month from January so we wouldn't have enough for a deposit for at least 2 months and I don't want it to go image.

We have picked BM and pageboys and flower girls Im not having adult bridesmaids, and I thougt I had picked a colour scheme but saw a beautiful dress that didn't go so I'm now lost lol
  • I am the same, i have many ideas but not sure what to do as i am unable to book the ceremony until August 2010, so im unsure what to do before then!
  • hi ya everyone i'm getting married on the 23rd july 2011, i agree about the venue for the wedding and reception are the first steps to planning ur wedding. ive booked the church and the recepion so far and paid the deposit. im so excited but still unsure about what wedding theme to have.

congratulations everyone
  • Quoted:
    I too am getting married in July 2011, I am currently looking at venues, found a DJ, photographer and been to a few wedding fairs. Id say venue and then decide on everything else later on. I have most things sorted in my head but havent made any solid bookings yet, as I simply cant decide!

The dresses is the most exciting bit! i think I tried on a few dresses before I even looked at venues!!!! mainly cos I was superstitious and wouldnt try them on before I got engaged!

I hope you have a lovely wedding and get everything organised bit by bit! it all comes together i have been told!

My friend is organising a wedding in 6 months, and is jealous I have 18mths!!! I hope with all that time that everything will be just perfect!!!

Good luck!

Hi,

In your avatar you have a gorgeous dress please can you tell me who its by?

Thanks xx
  • FAO CAROLINE1054.......

Hi,

In your avatar you have a gorgeous dress please can you tell me who its by?

Thanks xx
  • Hi im also etting marrid in july 2011. I dont think it is ever to early to try on dresses as it may takes months of hunting to find that once in a life time special dress, I went on yell.com and got all my local bridal shops and im slowly working my way around them.

• Hello! I'm getting married in July 2011 too!

So far we have booked the venue and photographer. Have also sorted our cake (my auntie!) and our flowers. I have decided to wait a little before looking for a dress.

I am really enjoying all the shows, fairs and magazines!
  • I am a September 2011 bride, done a little bit of planning and decided that i want black and white monochrome with fuchsia/cerise. Does anyone have any advice where to get married that's near the west midlands? Any help is appreactiated whether it's a venue or a dress etc. x