Forum home Archived I got married in April 2012

My Custom Dress Progress

I had my first proper fitting for my dress today. The corset is now well on its way and next time it'll be done with the crinoline and petticoats plus we'll get started on the dress itself.

Here's the dress that my dress will be based on:

It will be in gold rather than purple.

And here's the first roper fitting for the underwear corset. It'll have a spoon busk added and a lot more boning so it sits better, but the basic shape is right.

• Oh wow!! That dress is awesome!! Your corset looks amazing - how teeny tiny is your waist!!
  • Oh hurry the clocks forward! I so want to see the gold version of this absolutely WOW dress. You are going to look soooo tiny x
  • I love the purple, but it will actually be this colour.

• HL2010HL2010 Posts: 195
    WOW!! Looks amazing, have a serious case of dress envy! image
  • welshgracewelshgrace Posts: 1,224
    Looks great, I am so jealous of your tiny waist imageimage

I really hope you do a wedding report, it sounds like you will have a very original wedding. Can't wait to hear all about it x
  • I had another fitting yesterday. The dress is really starting to come together.

The crinoline starting to come together. There's only one hoop in at the moment but there are channels for another 10-15 to be added at which point the skirt will look rather bigger.

The corset was let out a bit on the bust and is getting closer to being right but still needs a few alterations (and boning) so I was falling out a bit (hence the hands).

Then we started pinning over the toile!

http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/143937/Fitting_pic_111126_2.jpg

Here it is in our first toile. The crinoline will make it a lot fuller (it was folding in a bit at the back at the moment as it's not finished) and there will be a ruched off the shoulder bodice.

I'm really pleased with how it's coming together.
  • RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
  • Li1736Li1736 Posts: 324
    it looks fabulous!!!
  • Looking good mrs!

Gives you a great shape image
  • We've made some more progress since the last time I updated. In December we had the first fabric fitting and got to see the length of the train for the first time.

And then last weekend we went to pick out my veil and to have another fitting.

My veil will be pale gold with dark red beading and gold embroidery, this one is pale ivory with silver beading and embroidery.

Oh! And it's around a metre longer!

And finally here's how the dress is looking to date!

• aww lovely
  • You are going to be a stunning bride SS! Loving the dress!

I can't wait for your wedding report.

Sarah xx
  • pminxypminxy Posts: 320
    Like a princess!!!!! xxx
  • Lucyp86Lucyp86 Posts: 167
    It looks lovely. It almost reminds me of the dress in the beauty and the beast!!
  • Wow you look amazing - i love the colour on you! I can totally see where LucyP is coming from too - you do look like Belle!

It is so lovely, and check out that train and veil, I have veil envy lol!! Can't wait to see your pics - especially as I think you are getting married about the same time as me?? (April?) image
  • Quoted:
    Wow you look amazing - i love the colour on you! I can totally see where LucyP is coming from too - you do look like Belle! It is so lovely, and check out that train and veil, I have veil envy lol!! Can't wait to see your pics - especially as I think you are getting married about the same time as me?? (April?)

Thank you! It's been a really stressful process, but I'm glad I've done it. My dressmaker has been fantastic even when I'm throwing a wobbly.

I'm 21 April. When are you?
  • Quoted:
    It looks lovely. It almost reminds me of the dress in the beauty and the beast!!
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • 14th April!! We are both going to be there before we know it, ahhh! image
  • Your dress looks amazing, and totally unique to you! It pays to be brave! Not long to go now!
  • Squee! Another fitting yesterday! The bodice is almost finished and the shorter skirts are now started. Don't judge the shorter skirt too harshly as there will be HUGE petticoats underneath and it'll be hemmed to sit just below the knee.

• nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    did i miss something? what happened to the big dress? is this for the evening??

sorry but i had to say this-your boobs look AMAZING!!!!!

(what a lucky groom!)
  • Quoted:
    did i miss something? what happened to the big dress? is this for the evening??

sorry but i had to say this-your boobs look AMAZING!!!!!

(what a lucky groom!)

Yes, the shorter skirt is for the evening reception. It's got a long way to go before it's finished. It'll just look like the day dress has been shortened, as at the moment it looks a bit flat.

Thanks! I was a bit bloated and it went on my boobs too, so I'm hoping that they stick around for the wedding!
  • It looks fab! How exciting!
  • MrsCloMrsClo Posts: 637
    Oooh it's all coming together SS! image totally gorgeous!
  • oooh totally gorgeous - can't wait for your report! x
  • dee2ukdee2uk Posts: 635 New bride
    Stunning, and yes, i want that waist *envious* xx
  • mrslane2bmrslane2b Posts: 1,205
    Wow you are so brave. I would have been frightened because I dont have vision.

You look lovely. It is soooo flattering and suits you perfectly xx
  • SpecialSundaeSpecialSundae Posts: 3,029
    I had another fitting yesterday. I'm SO happy with how the dress is coming together now, although I won't have a fitting with the big skirt again for another fortnight as my veil didn't turn up on time!

I love the wiggle skirt in particular. It has a split almost all the way up the back so it's really easy to walk in but looks rather sexy too.
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    you saucy mare!

amazing!!!!!!!

(although now even more confused....two shorter skirts??)
  • SpecialSundaeSpecialSundae Posts: 3,029
    Quoted:
    you saucy mare!

amazing!!!!!!!

(although now even more confused....two shorter skirts??)

In the grand tradition of our forebearers, my wedding dress is designed to be worn as an evening dress for the rest of my days.