Forum home Archived I got married in August 2013

Gave Notice of Marriage this morning!

H2B and I gave notice of marriage to the registrars today image Glad thats something else ticked off the list, now just have to plan the ceremony!

Also went to a wedding fair at our venue yesterday, fell in love with the place all over again!

Hope all the other Aug 2013 Brides are doing ok with the planning!

• MrsBeau2BMrsBeau2B Posts: 1,513

It was really easy and pretty quick - took 40 mins!

Registrar spoke to us both, then each of us individually. Just asked me/ H2B to confirm our DOB's, where we live, what we do for a living and what info we want on the certificate.

Then she called us back in together to go over the do's and donts for the ceremony - nothing religious etc, and we paid the fee.

Lady was lovely and took some time explaining our options.

Dont forget to take passport and utility bills/ bank statement!

• I keep forgetting to call and make an appointment, we've booked provisionally. 

I think until thats done it just doesn't feel real, but then again I don't think it will ever feel real until the actual day! lol

• Ours took about 15 min, they interviewed us both together, asked me questions and myself and h2b and then asked him the same question, which seemed pointless really especially with us being in the same room it seemed like we were just repeating each other xx
  • DollyBDollyB Posts: 1,762 New bride

I made my appointment this week to go in Novemeber! I had been feeling a little 'lost' with wedding planning and not very excited (money stresses and the usual) but this has bought the buzz back!!

I cannot wait! Time is going very fast ladies! image

xx

I know what you mean DollyB2B, after all the excitement of booking the venue and dress shopping etc, there is now a bit of a lull - am doing a few little bits to fill the time though! Once Xmas is out the way it will be full steam ahead!

• I think it's a bit different in Scotland, I got all excited, printed out the forms, then realised we can't give notice until 6 weeks (I think) before the wedding image

Very exciting getting the legal part done, makes it very real

• How exciting!!

I made an appointment fo us to give notice later this month. I didn't actually realise that we had to pay £35 each to give notice until I went online to make the appointment.

x

• Congrats MrsBeau2B - bet it feels more real now!

We are going to do ours in February next year - a long story including a wait for a decision on nulity (I have been married in Church before, OH hasn't - so I need to get mine declared null) which may or may not be made in January or Feburary next year. If we get a positive decision, we need to go to stay with my FBIL so that we can be resident for the necessary 9 days, if we don't we need to go to give notice for the hotel which is currently plan c. Plan A involved a wedding this August, plan B is next August in a Chapel, plan c is the hotel. It could be a very, very close run thing...

And, if we have to go for plan c - I hadn't realised that the Registrar's fee would be £385 plus £35 each for notice image. This is one bit we aren't going to be able to scale back on... x

• nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    seems to be different for each district but last time i phoned the one we live in to rebook giving notice appointment they said we could only pay the ??35 x2 in cash so ask about that ladies when you book. not sure i want to be carrying around ??70 in brixton.... scary

MrsHarrison - that sounds like it could be stressful! Hope you get the outcome you want!

It does seem more real now and we have just booked the musician for our ceremony so we can start planning the music.

We paid £35 each in cash, had already paid £50 deposit and now have around £400 left to pay to them. Pricey but a vital part unfortunately!

• How exciting, we've provisionally booked ages ago, got told to go back any time between November and February to give notice, we also paid ??50 then we've to pay the ??35 each when we go back, then yes it's then the final payment of ??300 and something?? Part of me thinks HOW MUCH when over so quick, but it's something we have to pay to get what we want image
  • We have our appointment on the 22nd of this month. So excited. 

xxx

• We gave notice a few weeks ago - can pick up our licenses on Wednesday!  Very exciting!

• KattiannaKattianna Posts: 272

We did ours months ago. We only paid the £70 total and all we have to pay is for the hiring of the town hall (£125 I think) do you have to pay more if the registrar is coming out to your venue??

Also about the license. We didn't know we had to pick one up. Can someone set me straight? When do you get a license?

• MrsHarrison2B17Aug13 wrote (see)

Congrats MrsBeau2B - bet it feels more real now!

We are going to do ours in February next year - a long story including a wait for a decision on nulity (I have been married in Church before, OH hasn't - so I need to get mine declared null) which may or may not be made in January or Feburary next year. If we get a positive decision, we need to go to stay with my FBIL so that we can be resident for the necessary 9 days, if we don't we need to go to give notice for the hotel which is currently plan c. Plan A involved a wedding this August, plan B is next August in a Chapel, plan c is the hotel. It could be a very, very close run thing...

And, if we have to go for plan c - I hadn't realised that the Registrar's fee would be £385 plus £35 each for notice image. This is one bit we aren't going to be able to scale back on... x

Hiya,

Scottish groom here,

Getting married in lambeth so need to give notice south of the border,, my sister lives in surrey so plan to make a visit to give notice to her local office,, but

How do you prove you have been resident for 9 whole days if staying with relatives?

• nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253

oh we give notice in lambeth we have to bring a proof of address so something needs to be delievered to the address youre suppose to look like youre living at. phone bill is probably easiest tbh. dont think council tax is too hard to change either, why do you have to live south of the border to marry here?

• MrsF2b2MrsF2b2 Posts: 831
    Congratulations! It's on my to do list but they said I had until April so not panicking yet! Did my provisional booking this morning - that makes it seem real to me. Up until then it was just some kind of "one day" pipe dream but now it is booked so it is going to happen image
  • Since we live in Scotland we need to reside in England for 9 days to give notice of marriage,,

• Can you give notice up to 12 months before the date? If so I want to get our appointment booked in feb image that's going to come around so quick once Christmas is over time is going to pass even faster than it already has! Scary but exciting. The licence will defiantly make it all seem so real. We went to our venues wedding fair last week I had butterflies just seeing our venue with wedding cars outside and decorations everywhere.

How long does it take for the licence to be ready after the initial interviews please? Where do you pick it up from? The offices where you have your interview??

Hi maisiecupcake - im not sure where you are based, but there is no licence as such to collect. This might be different in other parts of the UK so check with your registrar. We were told to make our appt between Aug- Oct this year, and we went in Sept

We had our meeting with the registrar, and they then sent us a letter just confirming the cost and when they needed the ceremony details to be returned by. It also confirmed that the legal side of their checks were complete and confirmed the date of the wedding, time and venue.

• Oh wow cool how exciting do uou get that letter soon after the interview? And is it the confirmation letter that you need to take with you on the wedding day???

It seems strange for it to cost ??70 per couple when nothing much is done for the money!!! Has to be done though image

I am in Worcestershire our fees for the registrar to come to our venue and conduct the marriage and rose ceremony are ??330 which is not too bad as the one registry office in our area that we really liked was going to cost ??280!!! Because it's not the usual office building but in a grade 2 listed building that the mayor lives in!! And part of that building is a museum too! We would use the conference room so had to pay more to hire the room!!!

Where are you getting married???
  • James Campbell - we're in a similar position as we live abroad so going to give notice while staying with the mother in law over Christmas. We are lucky as still get bank statements sent there, but the i'm sure i read somewhere that a signed letter from the person you are staying with would also be fine (typically can't find it now) Worth being upfront with the registry office and checking what's normally done in this situation.
  • James Campbell - we have been asked to make an appointment to go in at the start of our stay then another at the end of the time we are there. The Registrar didn't give details of what we needed (though I did tell her that we will be coming on holiday as we don't live in the area), that might be something we get at the first appointment.We have to ring up to make the appointment so again, I am going to ask.

I agree with charliedee that it might be as well to ring the Registrar for the area and ask them. Because there are some complications with booking my ceremony, I spoke to them at length and they were really helpful in terms of my options. I am hoping that we can get married in a small Chapel and can use an authorised person who works for the Parish and who will charge less and who will complete the register with the Priest. I think you have two people to attend the event which may explain why it is quite so expensive. The second person will be completing the Register during the ceremony.