Formal photos

Our photographer said to keep formal group shots to a minimum of 7 or 8.  We came up with a list of 9 which I can't seem to reduce any further!  We have:

-Bride and groom with ushers and bridesmaids

-Bride and groom with bride's mum

-Bride and groom with bride's dad

-Bride and groom with groom's parents

-Bride with siblings

-Groom with siblings

-Bride and groom with bride's family (mum, siblings, nephews and nieces)

-Bride and groom with bride's family (dad, siblings + partners, nephews and nieces)

-Bride and groom with groom's family (parents, siblings + partners and grandma)

Does that sound like a fairly normal list?  It's a bit complicated since my parents are divorced and don't speak so I can't have them on the same photo.  I figured we would get photos of me with just the bridesmaids and my fiance with the ushers before the ceremony so we don't need to repeat that.  I would have liked a photo with all my extended family, but there are 26 people altogether, including quite a few young kids, so it would probably take ages.

• Surely minimum of 7 or 8 means that 9 is perfectly acceptable. If you cut it down further you'll be under his minimum suggestion. Also, remember this is your day and you are paying him so he can't really tell you what you have to do. 

List looks fairly normal. Depends who you want in Pictures. I'll have a much bigger list (but I'm a control freak!)

• LollybearLollybear Posts: 548

We are having LOTS more group shots (more like 20). Our photographer was really happy with the list we gave him. He is going to spread the formal shots out throughout the day so we aren't spending a huge block of time having pictures done. It also means we get lots of different backgrounds. 

• MrsNoelMrsNoel Posts: 486

If he was trying to keep you to a list of only 7 or 8 that sounds like very few to me. At the end of the day it's your wedding and you should have the photos you want. Sure, you don't want hours of group shots but if there's something you want, pop it on your list! 

• Miss_XMiss_X Posts: 263

Like Lollybear, we have given our photographer quite a long list of photos we want captured, but we haven't asked for them to be formal as such. We just said we want those pictures to be captured at some point throughout the day. The only formal ones will probably be a big group shot at the church and maybe a couple with the bridesmaids and best men and our parents etc. Personally, we aren't keen on formal photos so this suits us best image

I put down that I wanted one of me with my Mum, which he will just get through the day and also ones with each of my bridesmaids, which he will probably get at night or the morning before we leave. He said it was important to tell him any that we wanted (not just formal) because in the past one bride came to him after the wedding saying she wished she had one of just her with her Mum, but there hadn't been one. Fortunately he managed to find two very similar photos of them both at the wedding and photoshopped them together perfectly! Lol image

• MrsJCMrsJC Posts: 2,204

It sounds pretty normal to me! Our tog said no more than 10, and it was a struggle to get our list down to that, but we did it in the end!

If you did want to reduce it further to make space for an 'extended family' shot, perhaps you could combine the siblings photos, so instead of it being just you with yours, and then H2B with his, you have both of you with all your siblings?

• JJ2013JJ2013 Posts: 628

I was going to suggest that the obvious one to amalgamate is the sibling shots into one with both of you with all your siblings; but if it means a lot to you to have all 9 have a chat to your TOG x