Forum home Archived I got married in December 2012

What have you all bought so far?

Has anyone bought anything yet?

I've bought loads of bits so far, I just can't help myself when I find a bargain! image

We are on a really tight budget so I am trying to spread costs by buying things as and when I see them if I think they are a good deal!

I'm making each of the wedding party a thank you gift bag with lots of little bits for them to open before the wedding and so far I've bought:

Bridesmaid thank you gifts (one item left to buy, but nearer the time)

Groomsmen thank you gifts (couple of bits left to get, but nearer the time)

Parent's thank you gifts

I've also bought all their thank you cards, but need to get the gift bags at some point!

Similarly, for my h2b i am making a box of little inexpensive, but heartfelt gifts for him to open the night before/morning of the wedding. I'm waiting for a few bits to be posted and will add the finishing touches nearer the time! I've spent hours sourcing all the different items as some of them are a bit strange!

I've also bought:

Dress (needs alterations), shrug, shoes

Couple of decorationy pieces

Favour jars

Save the date cards

Mrs and Mrs table letters

Table numbers

I think that's it at the moment... image

• NowMrsMackNowMrsMack Posts: 2,535
    Has no one bought anything yet!? image
  • TheWifeTheWife Posts: 188
    I've bought:

My dress

My shoes

Veil

Save the Dates

I think I'll go shopping at half-term to check out wintery accessories that could be used as decorations. You guys are very organised, I can't help thinking that I should start buying more now!
  • 13401340 Posts: 75
    I wasn't going to do anything but book the Registrar and Venue (Great Fosters. But then I thought that as our Wedding is on New Year's Eve I should book all the key suppliers. Sooooo I have done the following:

Photographer

Chair covers

Wedding singer for the Ceremony

Crystal bouquet (deposit)

Wedding dress and shoes

Bridesmaid dresses

Florist
    I think I'm just getting a bit over-excited trying to organise everything!! image

Christmas is a funny time of year and so I just want to make sure I can have everything I want by making sure I've organised everything early!
  • becisimbecisim Posts: 40
    Gosh!!

I have bought nothing!

Booked the big things:

Venue

Registrar

Caterer

Bar

Photographer

But that's it!

Aiming to get save the dates out by December but i'm pretty chilled out about everything else!

I don't want to start looking for a dress yet because I know that knowing I still have time, I wont be able to make a decision - does that make sense? I'll always be thinking 'yes I love this dress but what if something else comes out instead?'

So i'm leaving dress hunting until Feb / March next year

Makes me panic slightly seeing how organised everyone is!
  • Oh my days.....I feel like i need to get a move on! Got a date and booked the church, and just holding a venue for now incase I see anything else..

I have however spent alot of time looking on ebay for table decorations..mirrors, candelabras etc but it seems like lots of people are doing the same as they all go for alot of money. I'll be hitting the car boots come spring!! image

Oh yes, I have bought a few brooches as I'm making my bouquet from brooches. Does that count?!

I'm glad I found the 'Dec 2012' thread!!!
  • I'm just being nosy here, but wow... some of you have bought more than me and our wedding is December THIS year!
  • I think I need to get a move on too!!

We have booked the registrar, venue, evening entertainment, photographer and bought centrepieces

I have bought all the materials and made mock up save the date and invitations (Just need to get round to actually making them!)

Went shopping last weekend for bridesmaid dresses but seriously struggling! And I have appointments at 2 bridal shops this weekend I'm so excited!!
    Quoted:
    I think I need to get a move on too!!

We have booked the registrar, venue, evening entertainment, photographer and bought centrepieces

I have bought all the materials and made mock up save the date and invitations (Just need to get round to actually making them!)

Went shopping last weekend for bridesmaid dresses but seriously struggling! And I have appointments at 2 bridal shops this weekend I'm so excited!!

What centrepieces are you having?
  • bought the dress

booked the venue & having a civil ceremony there

bought the rings

dj for night do sorted

cakes ordered

registrar provisionally booked for wedding date

----------------------

still to do:

invites

flowers

centerpieces

give notice of marriage

ugh! we've got a really busy year in 2012 so trying to get it sorted before the start of summer. we live with my parents at the moment as we're saving for a house deposit and going to buy somewhere in the summer. also have both parents 50th birthdays and my H2B's 30th bday. and a holiday to lanzarote!
  • so far we have bought-

my dress

bridesmaids dresses

shrugs for bridesmaids

booked and paid deposit on venue

paid deposit on my ring(h2b doesn't know what he wants yet)

bought table crystals

bought table trivia cards

bought bridesmaids tiaras

still deciding on invites and whether to have save the dates.

also our center pieces come with the venue so will choose those later next year.have decided on a m&s cake so doesn't need to be ordered or paid for until a month before the wedding. image
    Quoted:
    so far we have bought-

my dress

bridesmaids dresses

shrugs for bridesmaids

booked and paid deposit on venue

paid deposit on my ring(h2b doesn't know what he wants yet)

bought table crystals

bought table trivia cards

bought bridesmaids tiaras

still deciding on invites and whether to have save the dates.

also our center pieces come with the venue so will choose those later next year.have decided on a m&s cake so doesn't need to be ordered or paid for until a month before the wedding.

What date is your wedding? I was going to have an m&s cake, but they don't do wedding cakes between the 21st and 27th dec or something like that!!!! I was planning on having an m&s cake but that totally screwed up my plans!!!
    Update:

I've now also got:

Gift bags for all the thank you gifts

Groom socks, personalised cufflinks, how to be a good husband book, oh so cherished journal for the 'groom's box' (got to get the box next)

Bridesmaid necklaces and earrings

3 out of 9 of the centrepieces (on a 3 for 2 deal at work so I'm buying a set after each shift)

6 out of 9 of the table scatter decorations (on a 3 for 2 deal at work so I'm buying a set after each shift)

I've also put down the deposit for a harpist to play at our ceremony image

Despite it looking like a lot on paper, I don't feel like I've actually done much yet lol image
  • it's the 17th so we'll be ok, will probably pic it up a couple of days before the wedding.

you have done quite a bit,we're just aiming to get deposits on the big things before christmas then after christmas start buying more of the smaller things.

can i ask what is a oh so cherished book that you have bought??
    Quoted:
    it's the 17th so we'll be ok, will probably pic it up a couple of days before the wedding.

you have done quite a bit,we're just aiming to get deposits on the big things before christmas then after christmas start buying more of the smaller things.

can i ask what is a oh so cherished book that you have bought??

Phewww! I would check the dates out for deff though just to make sure! And although they say you can order 21 days before, make sure you order a few months before because around Christmas they get super busy with party food orders!!

I've added the link to the oh so cherished book for you! I was a little dubious beforehand as I thought I could either do my own, or it wouldnt be as good as other people make out, but I'm so glad I bought it - it really makes you think about why you're marrying your OH and makes you appreciate it more (in my opinion!)It basically gives you a load of statements that you have to write an answer to and you can add photos too!

http://www.ohsocherished.co.uk/product/1031/0/deluxe_my_gorgeous_groom_journal
  • will check in regards to the cake thanks,was thinking about ordering it around october.

thanks for the link,we have been together 6 years and have a house and child and have split up a couple of times.
    Yeah october sounds good! The sooner they have your order the better really!

Sounds like you've been through quite a lot but are doing well now!!! Do you think you will do one of the books?
  • have read a couple of the questions and don't know how i would answer them to be honest, especially the 'how we met' one. not a romantic meeting at all and not something i would want to write.

we've been through a few tough times and it hasn't been a very romantic story as we moved in so quick and were engaged and had a baby within 2 years. image
  • FloFlo Posts: 432
    I have brought...nothing! image

I have booked...nothing! image

I am now panicking! image
  • Quoted:

We are having white lanterns with beautiful pot pourri scattered around it (sounds awful, looks lovely!)

I have tried to do a link to the lanterns but we bought the last 8 and have now been remoived from the website!

What centerpieces are you having?
    Quoted:
    have read a couple of the questions and don't know how i would answer them to be honest, especially the 'how we met' one. not a romantic meeting at all and not something i would want to write.

we've been through a few tough times and it hasn't been a very romantic story as we moved in so quick and were engaged and had a baby within 2 years.

The journal is a bit like a ringbinder in that you can take them out if you don't want to write on them!

The way we met wasn't particularly 'romantic' either (I was with someone else at the time), but the most important thing is that we've made it work and got through some sad times together - your relationship doesn't have to be a fairy tale, it's just a reflection of you both sharing your life together and picking out the best bits! image
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

We are having white lanterns with beautiful pot pourri scattered around it (sounds awful, looks lovely!)

I have tried to do a link to the lanterns but we bought the last 8 and have now been remoived from the website!

What centerpieces are you having?

Ooo that's similar to what were having!!

We're having a candle on a glass holder in the middle of the table (its prettier than it sounds!) and then scattering pot purri round the base too!!! The candle and the pot purri are the same fragrance so hopefully when they are all lit the room will smell delicious! image

Our colour scheme is gold and the candle is gold, and the glass holder has crystallised berries wrapped around the stem. The pot purri is also different shades of gold image

As soon as I saw them at work I had to have them (I've bought them all before customers could get their grubby hands on them hehe) but they're not on the website at all! Will try and take a pic at some point before I put them into a storage box to keep them safe!!
  • thats good that you can remove the awkward questions and focus on the good stuff,will think about it.

h2b will think it's mega sloppy image

are you doing a boudoir shoot???

i'm thinking about it but its so expensive so have been looking at ones closer to home and found a very reasonably priced one that i might do.
    Ooo and I have another update!!

My father in-law is a jeweller and made my engagement ring, and because my diamond is an odd shape that won't sit tightly with any kind of normal ring (it's a marquise diamond), I've asked him to make me a 'pretend wedding ring' out of some old silver I have so that I can decide whether I want a shaped wedding ring, or a ring that slots underneath the diamond of my engagement ring!

I think I'll be having extra diamonds put into the ring, but it's the shape I'm most concerned about as I want it to look 'right'?!

Eeeek!!! Exciting!!! image

Oh and I've also bought all my centrepieces now image one less thing to worry about!!
    Quoted:
    thats good that you can remove the awkward questions and focus on the good stuff,will think about it.

h2b will think it's mega sloppy

are you doing a boudoir shoot???

i'm thinking about it but its so expensive so have been looking at ones closer to home and found a very reasonably priced one that i might do.

It's definitely worth thinking about!

I was considering doing a boudoir shoot, but they are just soooo expensive!! There's a woman that's been recommended a hundred times over on here and thats who i'd want to go to really, but she's miles away so that'd bump up the cost even further and I'm not sure I can afford it as she's already pretty expensive!!

And all the others I've seen closer to home have had really mixed reviews and I'm just not sure I'd want to spend money on something I'm not sure I'd enjoy or be happy with in the end!

I might get one done for our 5year anniversary or something though!
  • bet your excited to see what ring designs your dad comes up with,that's so handy for you.

the one i'm thinking of is rachel hale and she's only 20 minutes from where i live,its 89 pounds for the shoot and make up then you choose what you want to buy,you can get a slideshow made or the images in a photobook or just one print so will see how i feel closer to the time and decide what to wear.
    Yeah definitely!!

It'll either be similar to this (but will sit tight against the engagement ring (and my marquise diamond is bigger and sparklier than hers image )):

Or similar this:

I know it's hard to judge as neither of these are actually my ring and so it'll look different (hence why I'm getting 'pretend' ones made), but which do you think looks best?
  • i really love the second shape, it looks different but in a good way,just looks so unique and i think it accentuates the diamonds and makes it look more expensive. image
    Yeah I was thinking that too!! It's just so hard to decide which one!!

So I'll have both made and then I can choose hehe.

These are my centrepieces (rubbish picture sorry):

The candle is actually a sparkly glitter gold colour, it's just got some tissue paper around it at the moment so it doesn't get scratched etc!
  • Ive very nearly bought everything but our weddings not far off now, ive just bought our confetti cones over the weekend, there lovely,

http://www.confetti-cones.co.uk/New-Vintage-personalised.html

ours are the circus ones. I wish i could plan it all again its so much fun! xx