Forum home Archived I got married in December 2012

secret wedding

Hi everyone, I have loved reading all your stories about your weddings! Mine is in 11 weeks, on new years eve and we are getting married in secret, just myself and my partner of eight years. I am soooo excited, its hard to keep it a secret, but we have too. We have a very complicated situation and this is the only way for us, but I dont mind.
We have both been married before. We are going to Gretna Green and getting married by candlelight, just the two of us, h2b was always quite reluctant to marry again so I am relieved to have got this far and I cant wait! We are going up from Essex on 30th Dec and staying for 3 days. If anyone else is doing or has done anything similar, I would love to hear your stories.

• Haha Lucy. We think my aunt may be planning the same on 26th December or thereabouts. We've all clocked she has something up her sleeve but we haven't told her we've twigged. She seems to be enjoying the intrigue and like you it's not a first wedding for either of them.

Good luck with your expedition!
  • LucyluLucylu Posts: 148

thank-you very much. I think our families may of clocked on too. I dont live with my partner, as I said its complicated but im giving up my house and moving to his after new year (obviously) and we have started buying new furniture etc and doing up his house ready for 'the move' its a very big thing for me to do. I think people are starting to wonder why its all happening around new year! H2b is in business with ex-in-laws  (very complicated) so people know he is having time off and going away! I think we will be sussed out soon, lols

• Hi Lucylu, How exciting! We are going up to Gretna Green too, but with an entourage! My h2b is really shy, so we wanted something away from home that mesnt we could have a small do but close enought family could get too (it's complicated on his side too!) I can't wait to hear what u think of it. Happy planning and good luck xxx

• Ooh, this sounds intriguing! And so exciting! In my head it's a romeo and juliet situation - only with a happier ending I'm sure!! What will you tell people when they ask what you're doing for new years? Who will be your witnesses? How will you tell people when you get home?!

I have sounded my daughter out, if she would mind if we got married in secret, she knows it is on the cards but doesnt know where or when, she is fine with it. I will announce it on my facebook page with a photo straight after, I only have a very small family, so will call them straight after too. h2b family is even smaller. I have wedding planners at the hotel. The hotel (Smiths) owns the blacksmiths shop where we marry and theyve been so helpful. They are providing the witnesses. I am having a religious ceremony, it is important to us to say traditional vows, I previously had registry office wedding so didnt say them. The hotel has hogmanay dinner/dance for new year, so we are going to that, so wont be alone in the evening. Just telling people we are going away for new year. That isnt unusual for us as we go away alot on our own anyway. Ordered h2b wedding ring yesterday, its soooo exciting. I am having my nans ring as it is perfect and almost a 100 years old, so all sorted really. i have my dress, photo's and flowers ordered, my friend is making us a cake, she is in on the secret. I can hardly contain myself, so its nice to be able to talk about it.

oh and forgot to say, our hotel has a salon and they are doing my hair and make-up on the day! Also we posted all our documents yesterday, M10 forms, birth certificates etc, so nearly all sorted. Cant believe how quick the countdown is going now, especially with christmas on the horizon!

• MrsF2b2MrsF2b2 Posts: 831
    A. Friend of mine did that. All during the day posts went up on Facebook. First was "playing with Lego" which sounded normal but turned out to be decorating the cake! Then something about having met her partner "on this day 13 years ago" at a scout camp, it didn't work out then but now we think we are doing the right thing. Which got some people curious but could have just been an anniversary thing. Next they checked in at Gretna green and everyone was bursting to know what was happening! So exciting but nobody knew for sure! Then a picture of two wedding rings and "what we exchanged today" everyone went wild image it was so lovely, very low key but their friends had great fun following the clues and wondering what was happening on the day. You felt involved by following along on Facebook, like you were a part of the event even though you weren't there.

oh wow, how fabulous! thank-you for that, I may do the same! thats a brilliant idea!

• MrsMcG2beMrsMcG2be Posts: 402

My mum had a secret wedding to my step-dad, although very different from yours.

They had been together years and my gran wanted them to get married - it was a second wedding for both of them so to be honest they didn't feel it was that urgent or want a huge fuss. We have a massive family so any wedding is usually a massive fuss (boo hiss for me) so what she done was arrange a party for my grans 70th birthday and told all the family to come for that to a local hotel. My mum and step dad told me(bridesmaid), one of my uncles (bestman), one of my aunts (moh), and we planned it all then just before the wedding they told my other siblings and it was a go.

My gran came into the room and everyone congratulated her etc and then we nipped away for 10 minutes, we were then piped in and the celebrant came out and they got married. My gran was over the moon and everyone was soooo excited and shocked. It was brilliant! 

• MrsF2b2MrsF2b2 Posts: 831
    I also know a couple who arranged a christening for their twins. Of course all the important people were there and dressed up and so on. Then the father stood up to do a speech, thanked everyone for coming and said that if they would like to head back to the ceremony room he and the babies' mum would be getting married in half an hour. The only people who knew were the parents and their nanny (who was asked to work for the day) went down fantastically. The babies were IVF so very much a committed relationship already, but everyone just assumed they had decided not to tie the knot!

Ahh thank-you MrsMcG2be, for sharing that, its a lovely story, im soooo enjoying hearing all your lovely stories and comments!

• Snowy xSnowy x Posts: 1,100

We considered this, as we too are NYE'ers, we thought about organising a NYE party and then doing the ceremony, but a few things factored in, a, we figured most of the family who live away, wouldnt travel down for just a NYE party, and b, how would we get away with the party starting so early?

Saying that, Our twins havent been christened yet?! image

ooh do the wedding/christening thing and have the best of both worlds! all sounds fabulous! image

sooooo excited, in the house on my own and I just tried my dress on! As its a secret wedding I cant share it with anyone! My new furry wrap came today and I absolutely love it. (Beegorgeous website, I can thoroughly recommend) it has its own glittery broach and when I tried everything on together I was soooo pleased with it (even if I do say so myself) made me feel like a film star! You should of seen me waddling round the house, including sparkly tiara/headband thingy and Glitzy Secrets earrings (I also recommend) with just the dog for company and trying to prevent slobber on my dress! Ew!

Anyway ladies excited muchly, 39 days to go! x

• Lucylu that's so exciting, hope you post pics & a report on here afterwards. I'm kinda jealous! haha!

I will definately do a report, but im not too good at the photo's, but im hoping to sort that out x

oh well ladies, 16 days now to go. I had a hair trial yesterday and I absolutely loved it (up-do) took lots of pics and hope the salon in Scotland can copy it!

Going up 2 weeks today, breaking up the journey from Essex in Leeds overnight with MIL2B. She isnt in on the secret, or she would get one of her 'boyfriends; to follow us. Selfish, maybe, but for the best, trust me! Just hope the weather is ok-ish for us to go. Happy Christmas ladies, we're all set now, siiting here with the christmas tree lights twinkling and my glass of wine (or bottle, lol) nervous muchly x

• nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253

do we get a sneaky peak of the dress?

• Ooo exciting stuff LucyLu! Sounds amazing! Will the people at the Hogmanay dinner know you're newly weds?! Xx

Im not that computer literate Nats! Its a plain dress, pale gold (sort of champagne coloured) Its got a ruched bust and strapless, iv an ivory coloured furry shrug/wrap and pearly/ivory accessories. H2b is in a dark suit with a tie and waistcoat same colour-ish as my dress. I have a scottish themed bouquet (and h2b's buttonhole) Im not that good at doing pics, but have pics of my hair etc on my iphone, will see if daughter can help me out to post, but promise i'll try to put some on after anyway x

Hey Drbridezilla, I dont think we'll be the only wedding at the hotel that night, its Gretna afterall, I will wear my dress in the bar afterwards when we get back for afew drinks. I am taking a spare dress, more cocktail-style-ish for the evening do, incase i am the only bride at the hogmanay dinner/dance in full gear, lol, but certainly intend to milk it if i can (dont want to look over-dressed, lol) but hey, who cares? its my wedding and after iv worked my way through the hotel cocktail list, dont think i'll be too worried image