Forum home Archived I got married in July 2013

Not sure I like my dress :/

Hi,

I'm not sure about swapping it but just wanted to say the dress looks gorgeous on you! So much you could do to it too, different belts, add some lace bits or whatever would help you love it more.

Hopefully when you try on your actual dress you will feel much happier!

• I think the dress looks stunning on you! Not sure if that helps sorry....x

• doubt the shop would let you swop it, i would but then i am not like most shops as my brides are always telling me!

As a designer I would maximise your good points and minimise any you were not so keen on, what was the style/shape of dress you originally wanted?? then i can see whay it is you are hankering after that you dont have on this dress and make suggestions. i have lost count of the number of brdies who come to me for my save the day service and i tweek their dresses and make them perfect for them. xx

• Hey Grangebex, this is the style I tried on that I loved but my mother wasn't so keen on :/ Different styles, I tried one on by the same designer as the dress I have bought but the bodice was longer so made my shape look better but the bottom was too frilly. Who knew finding your wedding dress would be this hard and stressful xx

• smiler23 wrote (see)

Hey Grangebex, this is the style I tried on that I loved but my mother wasn't so keen on :/ Different styles, I tried one on by the same designer as the dress I have bought but the bodice was longer so made my shape look better but the bottom was too frilly. Who knew finding your wedding dress would be this hard and stressful xx

confused!! are you the same person as thread originator- or someone with a similar query as user name is different............

• Sorry yes it is me same person, changed my nickname xx

• amy-lou-22amy-lou-22 Posts: 1,259

I really like the first dress on you. It suits your figure perfectly.

• smiler23 wrote (see)

Sorry yes it is me same person, changed my nickname xx

lol!!

Well as a designer I can tell you that strapless fitted fishtails only suit

1- 6" tall willowy types

2- average sized types- but with hour glass figures

3 types with big boobs and slim hips

for the rest of us mere mortals we have to choose something else!! ( which is why you felt less than wonderful when you tried your "dreamt of idea of a dress"

For the dress you have chosen which is a compromise ( on what you originally envisaged)I would suggest a couple of additions- remember that apart from people standing two feet away from you all everyone else will see/ recieve into their brains is a sillouette.

Half close your eyes and look at your pic - you could do with a little balancing- the sweetheart is perfect- and the jewelled trim belt is ideal to give focus to your waist.

I would add either a jewelled or flower corsage at the waist to draw the eye - at the moment the dress cuts you into three sections- the bodice- the hips- and the skirt. you need to decive the eye as at the moment the brain makes the eye go side to side and you need to make it go up and down.

A corsage set off centre on the belt will do this, one with some tendrils, ribbon,strands of lace, delicate strings of pearls ( a coiple of one type or a mixture)etc would draw the eye down and add a romantic look- also an opportunity for you to introduce some lace ( which you must like -d ue to other link you posted)

Also i would be tempted to add either chiffon, or lace or beaded straps or caps sleeves or a single strap or shoulder strap corasge- this would elongate your figure and give extra height and also adding detail to shoulders even if is just delicate silver beaded straps - takes the eye out over your shoulders and makes waists appear very much smaller.

Non of my above comments in any way insinuate that any of your body features are too small, too big etc.-

However as you are unsure about your gown it would give you n opportunity to love it.

hopefully your shop has a seamstress with flair- if not feel free to inbox me- i could prob post you the things i have suggested .

Trust me your dress is beautiful and has the potential to be truly amazing!! just needs fairy godmothers touch xxx

• Thank you very much everyone. I suppose I will need to wait till May/June till it arrives. Hopefully my opionion changes lol imageimage xx

• Just wanted to say hope you like it when it arrives, I think it looks lovely! x
  • Grangebex I don't think it's only those types of people that a fishtail suits - I am short and slim, certainly not an hourglass and barely have boobs but fishtails were more flattering on me than all the other styles I tried on - all the shop assistants kept giving me that style as it worked.

Cas/smiler, the first dress looks lovely on you so see how you feel when it comes in. You might be pleasantly surprised. image
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253

youve just had a baby and you look like that! wear whatever bloody dress you like you look great. the original pic you put on the colour looks great on your skin and with it fitting properly your boobs will look great. i dont know if it is possible but could something be done to lower the point at which the dress comes out so its lower down how you thought you wanted it? your body has been through massive changes over the past year and i would feel odd wearing anything tbh. remember youve got lots running around to do after your baby over the next few months so i imagine your body will still be changing quite a bit

• Firstly, congratulations on your new arrival image. Secondly, you look fantastic in your dress, and you have a stunning figure!! image I hope I look that good that soon after giving birth when Mr Fox and I have children, although I'm damn sure I won't (I plan to feast when pregnant mwahahahaha!).
    Castlebride on here ordered her dress and then changed her mind and managed to change it as the designer hadn't started much work on it at that point. Could you speak to your dress shop/designer and see if this is the case with yours? xxx

• I ceratinly did not say there was anything wrong with Smilers lovely figure ! I just gave pointers on how to highlight all her good bits!

Do yu think all thos models in hartnell and dior vintage books looked like that without any help from some judiciuos padding and a serious waspie!! ( nope....)

Fishtail gowns are incredibly popular at the moment and I do get some petite brides who suit them- depends on all you proportions.

Feeling great in your dress is all down to how you feel in it.

Smiler the original poster said she had wanted a specific type of dress and that when she tried them they looked wrong and she showed the type of dress she had been thinking of- which was fishtail.

Over the last 3 to four years the styles that mainstream designers have been putting onto the catwalk have changed dramatically there was a sudden huge shift from full skirted ( with pick ups and swags) and A line with asymetric pleats being the main design choices to suddenly slim lace sillouettes becoming more and more popular with the uprising of love for all things vintage and lace.

Lots of brides were dispointed when they tried these dresses on in brida studios as they did not live up to the often unrealistic images in the bridal magazines etc.

So all the mainstream dsigners came up with the combinabtion dress that includes a full ballgown or A line skirt but brought the pleating or folds on the hips down lower to be half way between a ballgown/princess/a line ( depending on the shape of skirt they attach) and a fishtail.

This gas enabled many more brides to wear this style.

I know many bridal boutiques and lots say that the brides ask to try the fishtail on and then end u with an alternative that they are just as happy with.

There are so many body shapes and reccomendations for them, not everyone agrees. For example pick up many magazines and they will say to go for a floaty empire for fuller figures but i have had brides try them on and not feel right at all, and then others absolutely love them.

AS I said Smilers dress is beautiful - it is smiler who is unsure.

I deal with 30-40 brides a year who come to me with the same predicament and after a few alterations sometimes it really is as simple as adding a simple ribbon belt  or an embellisehed belt, been doing that for ages- and now they are all the rage.

Finally designers are accepting that us brides are not one size fits all!!

I am sorry anyone thought I was being unthoughtful, Smiler has indeed an awesome figure and with a couple of tweeks her dress can reflect that and show it to its best advantage.

Which is what dress makers and designers have been trying to do since man or woman lol learnt to thread a needle.

When you look back at some of the bizzarre things women did in the past to enhance their bodies!! Wrapping boobs to flatten them, padding bottoms and hips to make them bigger. making pointed brassieres to give a pointed bust!

Mahoosve shoulder pads............

I think out generation has got off very lighty!!

and yet look where it has led us to- the dreaded onesie!! love it or hate it lol!!

• I think you have misunderstood- Smiler has not bought a fishtail!!! that was what she wanted but tried them and they did not look right she said- so she bought the gown she is pictured in at the top- the one her mum loved.

It is not fishtail.

Fishtail is from the knee ( ike the lower pic of the one in lace)- but she chose the princess skirt from the thigh instead.

Which is a very popular choice and very similar lines to the design that won dress of the year.

hope that clarifies

I see my brides face to face and we listen to each other, communication is worse on threads as peeple tend to be following several and skim read.

• lol have to love forums

I was just trying to help this is why i dont like forums sometimes as people misundertand things.

Thankfully i get to see all my brides face to face and no one has tried to murder me with lube and scissors yet, itsprobably  been a plot in midsomer murders though.

Also in my studio i am sith the bride and their freinds and family and no one from outside lol.

Can you imagine that- expect america could come up with a show on it though with a live web cam or something horrific.

It was not a backhanded compliment it was an honest opinion.

I remember when i used to be on this forum a lot when i was planning my wedding sometimes i often saw peoples comments being misunderstood.

I am usually too busy to get time to be on here , but due to horrid snow all week i have been taking evening off i normally work silly hours .

I could continue to justify my self but as on the internet people always have diffrent opinions as in real life lol.

I truly am sorry you misunderstoof my sentiments and can reasuure yuo that non of my brides have ever been upset, or made to feel bad . ( that sounds a bit conceited- i realise- but withut fail ecery one gets me a thanks card or sends an email- or indeed votes for me in awards etc- so hopefully i am not living in a dream world where in reality death awaits me with a lubed floor and scissors- eek)

I know I sound a bit ranty now lo, but i take absolutely seriuosly my ethos to make every client feel a million dollars.

Thank goodness i can actually see them and we use body language and listening skills which it has been proven are very hard to replicate in cyner space.

I am glad to see however that there is a lovely protective spirit for Smiler from other members that is a good thing about forums and why as brides to be we love them. Everyone ( well women do!!) likes to help others and to be helped that is the point of the forum

bex xx

• "Some people in this world are to weddings & brides what anal fisting would be to Hollywood Rom coms"

Ok, sorry to threadjack for a second Smiler but Wenchy I just spat my green tea (meh, green tea!) out laughing at that analogy, Mr Fox is in stitches now too as I read it to him when he asked what I was laughing about. xxx

• MrsPugMrsPug Posts: 626

Wenchy has an amazing habit of making me appear like a lunatic. I'll have to refrain from reading her posts in public soon! image

• have to say i chuckled too!! two sexual anaolgies thown at me in one evening- has to be a first!

Will have to see if they can add it to the awards feedback and marking criteria

"Which sexual analogy best describes your experience with your supplier"

good job i have  sense of humour and know that in the non cyber world my clients are pefectly happy with me.

Have to love friday nights on a forum full of women!!

I assume wenchy was talking about me unless she meant herself which to an outsider reading her witty acerbic comments, could be equally true.

• MRS LILLERSMRS LILLERS Posts: 1,319

I wish there was a "like" button! image

• imageimageimageimage Thanks ladies, had a wee chuckle at that comment wenchy. Grangebex I am 5ft7 and was a pear shape before I fell pregnant but the fishtail I tried on I loved and it suited my body but went with the dress I got bigger reaction with. Thanks for all the comments I just have to get on with it now haha. xx

• lol- you have made me chuckle!!

and there was me thinking that after a year or so away and being back for a week or so that the members  were all tamed down!! Glad to see it is still sam old yayw!!

I do like someone who says it how it is!!

• smiler23 wrote (see)

imageimageimageimage Thanks ladies, had a wee chuckle at that comment wenchy. Grangebex I am 5ft7 and was a pear shape before I fell pregnant but the fishtail I tried on I loved and it suited my body but went with the dress I got bigger reaction with. Thanks for all the comments I just have to get on with it now haha. xx

Thats great- I am sure on the day you will feel amazing most brides get pre wedding dress wobbles keep us posted with the planning and pics of the big day etc xx

I knew a lady who bought 47 dresses!! and ended up haviong to open a shop to sell them lol!!

I have had brides come to me for alterations who arrive at me with dress number two ior three on several occassions as they just could not make up their mind !

• 47!!!!!! jeezooo!! Too much money for her own good lol xx

• smiler23 wrote (see)

47!!!!!! jeezooo!! Too much money for her own good lol xx

I know!!!

but in the alsy five years i have had brides with 6, 8 9 etc - all usually intenet ones and then they gave up and came to me- a couple iof times i was able to take skirt off one and bodice off another and nmake their dream dress!

I also know another lady who bought a job lot of 60 dresses to get the dress she wanted- she had to open a shop too!!

I wonder how common it is??

Money on dresses is a stange one too- i had a client who cane to me for her thrird wedding to get her dress altered- she had bought an amazing preloved dress for £289 she tolod me her second marriage lasted 5 years and she spent £2000 on that dress and her first wedding dress cost £10K !!!! and it lasted 9 months!!!

so she said she figured a £289 dress meant she was good for a decade or two!!

• Just opened door to my husband who has been battling a train jouney back from london and then a drive from durham and OMG!! it has snowed a lot this evening!! ( whilst i have been whiling away the evening on here and dealing with emails)- but going to battle back to work in morning even if i need a snow plough!!