Does being married really change your relationship?

Hi Brides and Brides too be!

After reading a few of these threads, Im starting to panic a bit, once youre married does the man you want to spend the rest of your life with, turn into a complete stranger, in that I mean a control freak, a slob, someone that just dosent care anymore, it seems awful just thinking that way, but does it happen? I have a year to go yet, and Im generally worried about the whole thing anyway, getting married is so huge, but then it could be the best thing ever?? Guess we never know, just like they dont? Scary!

• charlottemuntcharlottemunt Posts: 316
    Well - no!

Hopefully if you are marrying someone, you know them pretty well by now. Marriage is not a magic spell that alters a person.
  • NowMrsB2012NowMrsB2012 Posts: 4,835
    I dont think my other half will change at all.

Ive known my h2b for 7 years and lived with him for nearly a year so i cant see much changing anyway!

People have said to me it just makes you love each other more and i think thats what it will do image
  • sarahjane1973sarahjane1973 Posts: 312
    its does change how you feel rather than you as a person - you feel complete and more as one - its really hard to explain, even tho (if you see my other posts) that I hated him last week and regretted getting married!!
  • hairy_fairy87hairy_fairy87 Posts: 342
    I dont think it will for me. The only thing thats gonna be different is when me and H2B get married we will be living in our house for the first time (not to self never by a house with only 7 months till the wedding)

We've been sitting at H2B's partner house and sleeping in a single bed! Cant wait for the house to be done. Still doesn't have a bathroom or kitchen.
  • SpecialSundaeSpecialSundae Posts: 3,029
    Nothing has changed for us. We're a bit more chilled as we're no longer saving for a house or a wedding (we're still trying to save, though) so we can have a bit more fun, but otherwise we're just as we always were.
  • Kchristie3Kchristie3 Posts: 248
    I know my h2b won't change , I've been with him 3 years and 5 months , lived together 2years and he asnt changed one bit . I doubt putting another ring on my finger is gonna alter that ,considering the first one didn't image It wil make our lives complete having the same surname image
  • MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride
    It does change in some ways. I would agree that I think we love each other more. Hubby def shows it more than he used to. There is a feeling that we are more important to each other as well. We are each other's next of kin and family rather than just boyfriend and girlfriend. We are also more focused on the future. For example, we always said we would not have children until we were married, so we never really discussed more detail as to when that would be. Now we are married children are not some possible in the future thing but something we can 'plan' for.

Domestically not much has changed. We have been together for 9 years and lived together for 5 of those so all of that was pretty sorted.

edited to add - we are more open to supporting each other. We have both had periods now at home not working (through choice) and being supported by the other one. Before we married we were much more 50/50 split over bills etc. I don't think either of us would have been comfortable supporting the other one before marriage.