Forum home Archived I got married in May 2012

What style of ceremony are you having? (church, hotel etc)

We are getting married in church and I thought it would be interesting to see where you are all getting hitched? image

I'm thinking more people get married in a hotel or country house style setting these days but I might be wrong.....

• RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    As far as I know there are 3 styles of ceremony: religious, civil, humanist (or maybe humanist and civil should be grouped together?).

We're getting married in a town hall, but I would consider the kind of ceremony to be a civil one. Our ceremony would be identical were it performed in a registry office, hotel or country house. However, if it had to be in a church the ENTIRE WEDDING would be completely different!
  • Spond25Spond25 Posts: 580
    not getting married until April 2013 and getting married in a hotel, it's my second wedding though my first was a church... wonder if it's more popular for second timers
  • I'm getting married in a theatre, so Civil

I was brought up Catholic and all my family have had church weddings, but I don't go to church and havent done for years, so would feel a bit of a hypocrite to be honest
  • We're getting married 'outdoors' (well, our guests will be outdoors and we'll be in a little wooden structure!) which is in the gardens of a privately owned Hall. Can't wait! image
  • Ours is in a manor house, i would have liked a church but other half isnt religious so i wouldnt have made him do it in a church, he probably would if id wanted but wouldnt have felt right x
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    im getting married in the sqaure tower in portsmouth so its a civil for us. dont believe in god so couldnt bare to get married in a church
  • cm_prcm_pr Posts: 339
    I'm getting married in a village hall!
  • i'm getting married in a Barn image so civil marriage.
  • LadyFordLadyFord Posts: 551
    I'm getting married in a manor house, I don't think many people opt for church anymore! Like lots of girls have said on here... I'd feel like a hypocrite! Xxx.
  • I'm getting married in a church .... didn't think I would for similar reseaons listed above (ie. dont hardly and am not massively religious) However, i always liked the idea as my parents married in a chruch and I want our children (when they arrive) to be christened. it also feels more personal to me as you get to know the vicar before getting married. I spoke to a vicar from COE at a wedding fayre and he put me so at ease with the idea of marrying in a church and made it so welcoming that it now seems like the right thing to do image
  • We are getting married in a (very nice and quite grand) registry office. Although h2b is a (non-practicing) Christian I'm not and having a civil ceremony seems to me a good way of leaving the religious question outside the door so I don't have to pretend to believe in something I don't.