Any crafting brides?

Hi ladies,

Are any of you planning to do DIY for your wedding?

I have my sister doing flowers (she used to be a florist) apart from my wrist corsage because she's crap at them lol (her words)

My friend danny is making my cupcakes for my cupcake tower, I'm hoping to do the stand but not sure how to go about it yet.

I also want to make my own stationary but not sure about how to go about it yet, hopefully going to make use of the time available image

• abi2889abi2889 Posts: 486
    I really want to make our invites too, there will only be about 20 guests so there won't be many to make so i can go really fancy (got long enough to do them!!), i want to try and learn how to do really fancy scroll writing for the invites!

I will be making my daughters bridesmaid dress too, only because I know what i want and it will be so easy as she will be 3 and a half then!

my sister is making our wedding cake, she has made loads of wedding/ birthday/ engagement cakes for various friends now and they look so good!

A friend of mine is doing a few flowers for us as she is training to be a florist. I think that's about it on the make and do stuff!

we had previously booked our wedding with only 8 months to plan everything and it was a nightmare (hence the reason we cancelled it) so this time i really want to plan and take our time.... want to do a scrap book too! image I do love a bit of crafty stuff!
  • mrsyoff2bmrsyoff2b Posts: 160
    I want to do a scrapbook too, and keep everything in a memory box, slushy lol
  • I'm making my own cake and decorating it image off the cake decorating show in the NEC birmingham on 4th Nov 2011 for ideas and decorating stuff x
  • CariadAlanCariadAlan Posts: 603
    Am making the invitations, my cupcake tower and the favours (heart shaped welsh cakes). If I can make anymore then I'll try but I think that's enough to keep me going image
  • my mum and i are doing quite a lot for the wedding, doing table centre peices, favours, invitations and order of services, having a diy sweet buffet, future sister in law is making the cake and i'll decorate it, a friend is making us a personalised cake topper. doing all the venue decorations. hmmm better get a move on i think hehe x
  • dee2ukdee2uk Posts: 635 New bride
    well i was going to be a DIY birde, but i guess thats as i a florist hehe!, although i did make my own save the dates and it saved loads of money! x
  • i'm doing my own stationary.. would love to do more but i have no idea about flowers and cakes.

wish i was more creative on that front!!
  • I made all our invites, table names, place names, menu's, seating plan, order of service . . . Has taken HOURS but it all looks fabulous and is exactly what we wanted. My mum is my florist luckily so we save a fortune there too!
  • I'm making my own invitations, name cards, photo collages, table numbers, postbox and we are designing out own cocktails. Oh and making candy trees! Thinking of making own flower arrangements, as need fake ones as I am allergic to normal flowers.

I not sure if I will have a bouquet or not, I'm not too traditional lol
  • We are ding nearly everything ourselves and with help of the family talents... however none of us know how to make chair covers... any help? xx
  • manfawmanfaw Posts: 2,756
    Hey ladies!

After a major let down it looks like I am going to have to make alot of our own stationery (I am no good at this stuff!) so any ideas of what you have made for yours would be really helpful!

I am currently considering doing the place names, order of service, table plans, favours.... I have no idea where to start though!
  • nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253
    start by looking at designs you like. itl give an indication as to how complicated a design youl need to copy. have you got any ideas in mind?
    I already have my day invites sorted out so I'll be using the same theme as those - its quite a plain traditional design, its white and navy blue so no complicated colours either.

I really need to know about materials more than anything as I am useless when it comes to this kind of stuff. I have seen "easy options" for printing materials but not to sure of what the quality will be like and its too late once you've ordered!
    its never too late once youve ordered you can always return or sell on. inkjet printers will print of most things if that helps but not shiny surfaces. you can always go into somewhere like hobbycraft to get the name of the material you like and then find it cheaper on the net. i have got most of my card and paper from shops on ebay. if youre worried about getting the right colour, email them and ask if you can have a sample of the colour or just one sheet. we gave ourselves a break by saying that all forms of red can be included so im not stressing about finding an exact colour and it can look very beautiful using different shades of the same colour

what do you mean by easy options? templates that you just need to print on?
    Yeah I saw on Confetti they do "printable" place names or place tags though I am not sure what sort of quality they'll be - I know they're the easiest option though so it might be worth a go?
    if you get them and find they arnt suitable for you i am pretty sure you can sell them on, id go for it
  • CCisMarriedCCisMarried Posts: 331
    I've made all my stationary now, just the table plan to do but waiting on everyones rsvps.

im now making little cushions which are being tied on the sashes of the chair covers. They will be in our colours and have our names and date on. After the day when we send out thank yous) we are going to send everybody a cushion. Thinking of doing bunting but not sure if it will look odd in november time.

now looking at doing my own centre pieces and hopefully a family friend is making me a vintage sweet cart, which i will use as a quirky dressing table after the wedding.
  • RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    We made most things in our wedding. See my "Things I Made" (should be things we've made) thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/community/forums/thread/1549289?page=1. There was more after this, of course... includes:

Invitations and personal wax stamp

Cake

Cake toppers

Cake stand

Table plan

Menus/table names

Place names in cork stands

Doily confetti cones

Balloon trees

Arch/aisle drapes

Table runners

Bag

Guest book

Ring box

Orders of celebration

Handkerchiefs

And also things like our vows - and the scroll of them

Had some things personally made/adapted/made to measure - including my dress, my earrings, our wedding rings. image

It was a lot of fun and the intuitive way most of the time, though lots of work. Could explain how I made any of these things/link to tutorials/give recipes if any would like (PM me).

Thanks for your help!  I think I have sorted out my stationery problem now image

I have another question though, does anyone know if the diamante iron on transfers will stick to Ugg boots? 

OK well these are the things I have managed to make so far!

Mr & Mrs Sign

And my Order of the Day

I might have a go at trying to make my table plan nearer the time - but for now that's all I have managed!

• were doing loads ourselves, my mums a florist, so shes doing flowers, having mixed flowers in jam jars and tea cups on tables, and heres some other things ive made already -

trial run of cake -

drink stirrers -

invites -

xxx

Oooh I love your invites!

• Part of our theme is "crafting" so here's my current DIY list.  I keep toying with the idea of a planning thread, but don't know how to up load photos on the new format:

- my wedding dress

- BM dress

- birdcage veil (friends bought me a millenery course for my birthday so can learn from a professional)

- BM headpiece

- Flowers - all are knitted or sew by me

- Guest book

- hand embroidered favours

- table decorations

- ties/cravats for the groom and best men and my dad

- all stationery

- tea cosies for our afternoon tea (10 of them)

- cake

- card box (my dad is going to build it and then we'll paint it) which will be a TARDIS

- also trying to think of some handcrafted gifts for our parents but struggling a bit at the moment!

That's all I can think of so far.

• pinklady1203pinklady1203 Posts: 241

My wedding is pretty much a DIY wedding - I wanted to make my own cake to save even more but h2b wont let me!!

I've made all the stationary - invites, menus, RSVP cards, order of services myself. Mum and I also did the flowers ourselves - well got some flowers from ebay and changed them into what I wanted for my bouquet and made flowergirl baskets into posies, and make a completely new table decoration. Also making my own cake decorations too. And as for centrepieces we are doing balloons, but bought all the helium etc and are doing those myself

Have a look at my planning thread below for pics - theyre all on there apart from the cake one - really need to finish the decs for it and upload a pic!

• TheNewMrsCTheNewMrsC Posts: 558

I'm making lot's too,partly to keep costs down but mainly because it's fun & rewarding. I hope people notice some of the little handmade details. Theres lot's of pics in my planning thread...

Well I have now got to make the following:

Place Cards
    Table Plan
    Table Numbers/Names
    Post Box

Any advice on how to make the Table Numbers/Names would be appreciated as they'll need to be double sided! image

• NeesieBNeesieB Posts: 54

I really wanted to do a lot more DIY bits for my wedding but with only 6 months to plan it we've been a bit busy!  (We got a late availability deal at our preferred venue).  But I have managed to make all the favours (84 of them!) with the help of 3 friends.  We've done little jam jars filled with jelly beans (magic beans!) which have tissue paper and a ribbon on the top.  I'm really pleased with them as they look great.

I'm also planning on making our own confetti cones from doilies like these:http://dineatmine.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/how-to-make-your-own-confetti-cones.html

And if I get time I want to make stuffed lavender hearts for all of our guests who are staying overnight at our venue - only 14 so shouldn't take too long!  Something like these: http://www.myhomemadehappy.com/tutorial-how-to-make-a-lavender-heart-or-padded-heart-2/

My h2b and I have also made some directional signage ourselves to put up at the venue.

I have a couple of great friends who are graphic designers.  One designed our invites and RSVPs for us (so we just paid printing) and the other is making our postbox and an illustrations for all our guests to sign.

I would have liked to do so much more as there are so many lovely ideas here on this forum but alas work has tended to get in the way of creativity and diy crafting.  Oh well!

• NeesieBNeesieB Posts: 54

p.s. Forgot to add...we've also done all our own place cards and I'll be doing the table names too.

In answer to your question manfaw all I'm doing for our table names is getting some nice card for WHSMITHS (or similar shop) and creating a document in Word, printing out x2 copies of each name on nice paper and then sticking one each side of the card.  That way they should be nice and sturdy and stand up straight.  I did think about trying to get them laminated but I'm not a big fan of lamination, so think this will work better. 

Hope that helps! 

OK I have answered my own question on the "print it yourself" place cards, they're fine the edges are smoother than I thought they would be so I have printed all the placecards myself image  So I thin I have saved myself £55 in the process!

I have also made my postbox, so just the table names and and table plan to do!

I finished my table names last night, they're Liverpool Legends, so they have the players name on the front and the picture on the back