Forum home Archived I got married in September 2012

Where to go on Honeymoon?????

Anyone else struggling with where to go on honeymoon in September?! It's quite frustrating because it seems that when I look at places and see something I like then look at the weather it turns out its not brilliant in September. We've considered loads of places but the ones that stick out for being ok weather wise (Hawaii or Bali) are just too expensive. I love Kalkan in Turkey (my favourite resort) but I've been there on my last few hols and me and H2B went last year so ideally we'd like something different... Where's everyone else going?

• kye83kye83 Posts: 582
    Hey. This exactly how I feel. We have really really struggled to agree on anything. The only thing we have seen and loved is a Mediterranean cruise. Obviously the recent cruise problems have made us doubt it, but we're still probably gonna go for that. Staying in Barcelona for a few days beforehand. Xx
  • We're off to Zanzibar staying at a resort called Baraza - can't wait!!!!!
  • mrslane2bmrslane2b Posts: 1,205
    We looked at Vegas and Hawaii but the hotels in Hawaii just didnt appeal.

We had a similar problem with the weather, but in the end plumped for Maritius. Weather is good there and there are some lovely resorts xx
  • Katie8668Katie8668 Posts: 442
    We are going to Mexico. Sod what they say about the weather. We know loads who have been in September and it was fine. They had a great time.
  • MrsBlakeyMrsBlakey Posts: 474
    We're going to southern italy end of sept/ oct and its the best time of year to go apparently. Not a big flash honeymoon, just somewhere we would find interesting- beautiful place, great beaches, amazing food and wine- lots of it!! x
  • We really struggled as everywhere I wanted to go in May was out of season image

We went into Kuoni and told them what we wanted to get out of a honeymoon and our budget and they gave us loads of ideas and were SOOOOOOO helpful.

We are going to Kualar Lumpar, Borneo and Langkawi. Can't wait image xx
  • we are also going to mexico
  • We've booked two weeks in Bali! Decided to go for the Bali Hyatt rather than the Grand Hyatt and got it a lot cheaper than expected. Can't wait now!
  • jarkmessjarkmess Posts: 751
    We're going to Phuket in Thailand, the weather is pretty hot then and the price was pretty reasonable.
  • hayley206hayley206 Posts: 169
    we are going to florence for 4 days, just a city break as we are going america in august as a kind of pre-wedding honeymoon. Excited!!!
  • ras105ras105 Posts: 29
    We really struggled as we wanted to go somewhere exotic and memorable, but didn't want to blow the whole budget on flights. We had looked at Borneo/Thailand/Malaysia area but we would have had to stay in pretty basic places after the flight cost.

Then my h2b suggested Morocco and I just got excited straight away!! Exotic, adventurous and also full of lovely hotels which we can afford!! We've booked the flights, they were £150 each on BA (soooo happy with that image ) but haven't looked at accomodation yet as we are currently focusing on getting a mortgage! Can anyone suggest a place?
  • We had an appointment at Trailfinders yesterday to discuss honeymoons-there's quite a few places you can't really go in September as it's wet season-South East Asia is a total no go at that time of year!

Had 3 main options that the guy had put together for us beforehand-Bali, Hawaii with a city break in San Francisco, and Tahiti. In the end we've gone for the Tahiti option and will be doing a 10 day cruise around the French Polynesian islands so taking in Bora Bora, Society Islands etc etc, such a long way to go but it looks incredible-cant wait!!
  • We're going to Egypt. I have been told that despite the troubles it is actually a good time to go-nice and hot, more likely to get upgrades and fewer queues everywhere. Plus only a 5 hour flight- so fingers crossed!
  • MrsKGtoBMrsKGtoB Posts: 286
    We are getting round this by going immediately on a minimoon to the Loire Valley and Paris then a full on honeymoon in late March/April. Current plan is to fly to Calgary and do some skiing in the Canadian Rockies and Whistler, then head to Vancouver, San Fransisco - hire a car and drive a bit of the Big Sur and through some national parks before ending up in Las Vegas.

Fingers crossed weather wise that it is cold enough for good skiing conditions in late MArch but spring like enough for San Fran! Not too bothered about crazy amounts of heat and sunshine, just not rain and cold.

To the people going to Malaysia, we went in June and had an absolute ball. Where are you staying on Langkawi?

To the people being fobbed off by Trailfinders, they are NOT the weather oracle. THey totally tried to talk us out of Malaysia in June saying it was rainy season. This transpired that it rained about twice for an hour on 3 occasions over 2 weeks...
  • MrsKJHMrsKJH Posts: 132
    We wanted to do a cruise around the Caribbean for a week then a week in Barbados but it'd hurricane season in September so we're avoiding that.

We're going to the Maldives. There will probably be some rain showers but the temperature is supposed to be high still!

• Personally we've found Trailfinders really fantastic at organising our trip but I guess different people have different experiences, think if you have an idea of where you want to go it's likely you've checked out the weather before deciding on somewhere!

Our wedding is in September but rather unconventionally we'll be taking our honeymoon in June, might have a little weekend break away in late sept/early october just to top it all off! Actually really excited now-itl be great to come back from the honeymoon and still have something to look forward to!
  • I'm getting married on 13th October and am going to Malta!
  • We are having problems trying to decide too.We run a restaurant,so can only really go in jan/feb. Any suggestions? (sorry to hijack this thread)!!!!
  • mrsp2b23mrsp2b23 Posts: 82
    Malaysia rains every day, but not for long enough to ruin anything, to be honest you long for the rain to break the heat, but it's an AMAZING country. bali, similar, we went last Dec/Jan (over NYE) and it rained every day but only for an hour or so, and we saw some spectacular storms!!

Kirstyflea- would HIGHLY reccommend SE Asia this time of year, last 2 years we've been to Thailand (got engaged in Koh Lanta-gorgeous), Malaysia, Bali and Singapore, all great (Singapore a little less so for us anyway) but it's a gorgeous part of the world, and would be an amazing honeymoon.

As you may gather from above we spend too much of our limited budget on holidays, and are kerbing a lot of the spend of the wedding in order to have amazing honeymoon(s) so we're going to NYC for 5 days straight after the wedding (fly 9th Sept) and then going to Cuba for 10 days, flying on Christmas Eve for a resort and then 3 days in havana!! we'll be there for New Years Eve!! I think I'm definitely more excited about the honeymoon than the wedding day is that weird?!!
  • Quoted:
    Anyone else struggling with where to go on honeymoon in September?! It's quite frustrating because it seems that when I look at places and see something I like then look at the weather it turns out its not brilliant in September. We've considered loads of places but the ones that stick out for being ok weather wise (Hawaii or Bali) are just too expensive. I love Kalkan in Turkey (my favourite resort) but I've been there on my last few hols and me and H2B went last year so ideally we'd like something different... Where's everyone else going?

Hi loulou!

We've booked to go to Bali for our honeymoon too, if you have a good look there are good deals, which obviously you've found too! image weather is supposed to be fabulous, and not too many mozzies in Sept either cause it's dry season.

We've got a few days in Kuala Lumpur, a few days in Ubud, and a week in Nusa Dua! Kuoni were charging £6000 but we did it all ourselves for £2200!

Don't forget to get the right jabs if you haven't had them already.

Have a lovely time!!

Nik xx
  • JoJo363JoJo363 Posts: 1
    We are going to Mauritius in June - unsure what its like in September but I think its heading into their summer. I'm not too keen on very hot weather so hopefully it will be just right for us in June as we want to explore the island a bit x
  • mrsp2b23mrsp2b23 Posts: 82
    littlewilk- we spent some time in Ubud - it's AMAZING, i loved it there! such an amazing atmosphere, really good street markets and street food as well as amazing boutique type shops, I got a Balinese silk dress for really cheap and it's amazing, a 18 months on can still wear after lots of washes - ahh jealous!! Bali is amazing image