Forum home Archived I got married in September 2013

Cashing cheques made out to married name but keeping maiden name

HI There, I am posting this as I can't seem to find any other answers other than either no this can't be done or go back to the people who gave you the cheques and ask them to re-write them.....

Any advice on how to pop the cheques, made out to Mr & Mrs.... in the bank if I keep my maiden name?

Thanks so much in advance x

• nenjennenjen Posts: 1,524

We couldn't cash any cheques made out to us as Mr & Mrs until we took in a copy of our marriage certificate and changed the name on the account. I'd probably advise that you do what Jodielou suggested - if the bank has a problem with it they'll come back to you.  x

• welshgracewelshgrace Posts: 1,224

Could you maybe open (or change and existing) joint account so that it has your married name, just for the purpose of being able to use it with your married name.  You would only need your marriage certificate and could keep your maiden name for everything else?

• Course although i dont blame you at all... just suprised they gave you this advice x

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

Me too now I think about it......I guess it was just one employee though, I'm sure he'd be severely chastized by his employers if they knew about it! x

• Yeah! I have workrd in financial services for 9 years... three in fraud and i am gobsmacked! Would hate to see anyone get in trouble for doing something innocently! ximage

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

He didn't seem inexperienced either, and at a guess was in his late 40's!  I guess he's just crap at his job and/ or really doesn't give a sh*t!  Ah well image

• Thanks for your replies girls - Barbados 2013 - could I do what Welshgrace has suggested?

• Yes but would advise you close after... and only open a basic savings account as opposed to banking unless you want it to show on your credit file... savings dont only fraud records x