Forum home Archived I'm getting married in July 2014

Wedding cake base???

I am getting married in July this year and am looking for a cake base/stand for my wedding cake. I didn't realise that a base was not provided. Although it is on a 14" board so its not essential but thought it would finish it off properly with a really nice base. I would like silver in colour and circular. There only seems to be a very small and expensive selection, does anybody have any recommendations please?

• jemmykins09jemmykins09 Posts: 618

what about ebay or etsy? i tend to find most things on there. or buy a cheaper one and DiY it yourself?

• Cl1arCl1ar Posts: 17

Thanks, I looked on easy but most of them are in the states. Surprisingly very little on ebay too! I think the DIY option is looking the best option but not sure where to start!

Thank you

what kind of style are you looking for. i ADORE DiY so may be able to offer some guideance/help on where to start xx

• Cl1arCl1ar Posts: 17

Your so kind. I actually don't know. I had looked at the standard silver bases that taper but most are very basic and not the best of quality unless you pay a fortune! My cake is 3 tiers in white with calla lilid sugar flowers trailing down the front of it.  

I am tempted to make a base with perhaps oasis in the middle and get the florist to decorate it to match the rest of our flowers... 

I've seen an acrylic one but i think its too plastic looking. What have you used or seen?

Thank you

hmmm what about buying a basic one/two and decorating with food safe crystals or something? 

i'm having a cupcake tower so acrylic giant tower for me as there's not really another option. i may however buy black/blue food safe pearls and bling ti hell to make it stand out lol 

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

Have you not got a cake shop nearby you can hire one from? We've arranged to hire a cake stand from one near us even though they aren't doing the cake - they had tons to choose from and it's only going to cost £20. x