Forum home Archived I'm getting married in July 2014

Who holds the bouquet?

So... I have heard that it customary for the maid of honour to hold the bouquet during the register signing?

trouble is I dont have a maid of honour! My one and only brides maid is my 10 year old daughter! She will have a little bouquet of her own to hold. 

one of my close friends is organising my hen... Should I ask her to hold it? Or just hand it to a family member in the front row? 

It is a church wedding, also at which point do I hand over the bouquet? Is this just at register  signing? What about when we have to kneel and pray? What happens then? Should I put it on the floor next to me? Or hand it to someone? Should I make my friend maid of honour? help! Xxxxxx what did u do?

• SongbirdsingsSongbirdsings Posts: 1,290

Hi. Don't worry...the person taking the ceremony will tell you exactly when to hand over your bouquet. It's usually fairly soon after you reach the front  and definitely before you say vows, prayers etc. It would be easy just to pass it to someone in the front row. You usually take it again to do the signing of the register and hang onto it then as you'll be walking back down the aisle image

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

The registrars assistant directed me to put it on the table. My sil had no bridesmaids and the registrar I guess having pre checked with her directed her at the right point to hand it to her mum.

If your handing it over the person needs to be on the front row your side, especially if you have a train save them or you having to fight it to reach you.

I like putting mine on the table, ensured it was in the signing shots and many other shots.

• LeaMarieLeaMarie Posts: 723

I have a MOH and LOTS of BMs, but I'll be placing mine on the table! haha

• BanariBanari Posts: 1,847

A third for on the table - that's what I did with mine and I liked that it was in all the photos. Is that an option at a church wedding? If not make sure you know who will be sat at then end of the front row your side and arrange to hand it to them - make sure they know. Will you be having a rehearsal at the church? This could be something you factor in to that?

• thank you so much! I will hand to someone in the front row! Sounds simple enough! My rehearsal is a couple of days before so I guess after that I will feel like I know what I'm doing more! Thanks again...think I would be a nervous wreck without all your help! X