Forum home Archived Live web clinics

Moxhall Hall wedding advice

Hi everyone!

I've recently booked our civil wedding at Moxhull Hall in Sutton Coldfield in May 2010. Its such a lovely place and the marquee is just perfect!

Just wanted to know if anyone else is getting married there and if you can recommend any suppliers etc?

Many thanks x

• Hi

I am getting married there Sept 09..... How lovely is the place I just fell in love with it.

I am scouting around at the moment for suppliers so if I come up with anything I will let you know

Paula

• Trina123ukTrina123uk Posts: 132
    Thanks Paula, that would be great, and i'll do the same too! Yes its a fantastic place, just perfect and the people are fab and you know you'll have a great service there. I have heard such good reports, not a single bad thing..

Not sure if you are having chair covers in the marquee but we have booked the lady that Moxhall recommend - Chic Covers and they have been brilliant so far, £3.25 a chair.

We are going to see a couple of photographers recommended by Moxhull next weekend - David Wadley and Jane Jordan. I just want to get it booked now so that's one less thing to worry about...Have you sorted one yet?

Also, i think i'll be getting ready at Moxhall on the morning of the wedding - I really wanted to get ready at home but they suggest I get ready (and pampered!!) there to make things less stressful!

Stay in touch with your plans!!

Trina x
    Sorry I meant to add...if you find any good make up/beauticians and hairdressers/florists who will come to Moxhall let me know!!

Thanks! x
  • natjonnatjon Posts: 357
    Hello Trina123 , I got married at Moxhull Hall in April and it really was brillant the venue , staff , food everything was superb and guests are still commenting now which is good so you have no probs there.

We used the following suppliers

DJ - Mark Tollis

Photographer- David Wadley,

Cake - 3Tiers in Sutton

String Quartet - Bellini Strings

Florist - Dewfresh

Chair covers - Redshine designs was £2.00 percover & sash

Can't think of anything else at the mo , Just to mention I think somebody has said about getting ready there I did that , but if they are fully booked the night before for another wedding might not be able to have room till about 11am but that was enough time for me as had hair done before arriving x
    Hi Mrs Porkybug, that's great, thanks so much for the info.

I just didn't know where to start and only have Moxhall's list of recommended suppliers to go by, but i wanted to find out other peoples view too that have got married there. thank u!

I think there is a wedding the day before ours so will have to remember to sort the room out .

Did you do your own make up?

How much did you pay for flowers? Sorry for all the q's and being nosey!!

We are going to see David Wadley next weekend, his work looks really good.

Would love to see pics of your wedding if you have a link? xx

• Just bumping this up , how are everyone plans going ?

we have been to view Moxhull and are very keen , would be intrested in peoples experiences so far x
  • Hey Lizzie18, thanks for keeping this one going!! So what did you think of Moxhall then? We havent been for about a year now and the last time we went they were making lots of new changes and improvements.....we are hoping to go again in Feb time xx
  • I loved it !!!! think we may go ahead , did you get any early booking offers or manage to get them to budge on price at at all ?

Were going for a meal next month and i cant wait !!!!

think were going to book for august 2010 !

so how many people do you have going ? what menus/ buffets do you like ? where you from ? where you going on honeymoon ? x

is there anyway yo book mark this page ?
  • Go for it - BOOK IT!!! I'm so pleased you like it, i dont think you ca not like Moxhall!!

We didnt get any discount, but we've booked a Sunday so the price is cheaper than Saturday - I think its more a case of booking early as they are very popular venue!

The staff are so professional there, they believe in nothing but perfection. We were there when they were preparing for a wedding the next day, everything was immaculate! You'll have no regrets if you do book it!

We'll have about 60 in the day, then about 100 on the night - the marquee is just beautiful isnt it?!

Ohh we said we'd go for a meal there and check out the food - we havent decided on food yet, i think they'll let you go and have a menu tasting session so you can decide what you like!

Im from Staffordshire, i'd not heard of Moxhall before it was only through a friend who got married there last year that we found it!! Where are you from then?

Are you going to get ready at Moxhall? I think im having my hair done at home, then get dressed there as the rooms arent available until 11am, especially if there is a wedding the day before.

I can recommend a great photographer and chair cover company if you need them!

Keep me updated with your planning, its nice to have a Moxhall buddy!!

Trina x

Ps - im not sure how you bookmark the page, sorry!! I just get an email to say someone has responded to this forum.
  • HI !!!!

I can never find this post though , i have to google the title to find it !!!! ha ha

We have provisionally booked our date !!!! woo hooo !!!

we have booked a table next month to try food , maybe i should of asked for a menu tasting session - sounds delicious and cheaper !!!!

Im in between warwickshire/leicesterershire not to far from Nuneaton and Hinckley.

Were looking at 40 day 120 night , the marquee is lovely !!!!

did you view many other venues ?

Not sure if going to get ready there if its a option i probably will, not thought thta far ahead ( thinking on how to get deposit together instead !!! eeek !!! ) .

I think i have sorted my photographer , she is someone i know off via another site and im paying £580 for her top package which includes a storybook and all pics on disc with the copyright to print off when i want, think that a really good price isnt it ?

who are you using ?

So you have gone for may 2010 then , you will be able to give me a review !!!! so excited now !!!

are you going to have the civil ceremony there ? we are.

i am going to arrange to view another 2 venues just to be certain but so excited about moxhull im sure its the one !!!

Are you going to have a band or dj ? we really want a good band .

So how long have you been together ? were going to be getting married on our 10 year anniversary - feel old saying that !!!! (im not !)

We have 2 children our son is 3 and daughter is 1.

tell me about you ?? are you on facebook ? x
  • Tilly29Tilly29 Posts: 47
    Hi All,

Have just found this post and I am very excited to say I am getting Married on October 2nd 2009 and we are having our reception at Moxhull Hall. I am hoping to stay at Moxhull the night before with my B'maides as they are travelling up from Hertfordshire but they may have a wedding on so fingers crossed they can fit me in.

We have got so much to do, flowers, cars, bridesmaids dress's, entertainment, HONEYMOON, however we have finally picked a colour though which has taken forever but we are going with a Purple for bridesmaids and theme quite a deep purple fingers crossed it will look good. Have booked Photographer, we are using Steve Gerrard Photography based in the custard factory in Birmingham [urlhttp://stevegerrardphotography.com/], we met him and his wife at the NEC they are lovely and worth a chat to if you haven't booked your photographer already.

I fell in love with Moxhull as soon as I walked in, very traditional with a contemporary style, I can't wait.

Have you ladies thought or got your dresses yet?

Natalie xx
  • Hi ,

so far all we have done is buy the wedding rings !!!!

have tried dresses on , so far my favouritr is maggi sottero sabelle , what about you ?

Where abouts you from then Natalie ?

what food options are you going for ?

Where are you holding your ceremony ?

• Hi All

I get married at Moxhull Hall on the 6th of September 2009 we have just had the pack through with menu's etc we are sitting down this weekend to start putting things together. I got so used to saying oww I get married next year now I am like oh my god not only is it this year but 8 months away arrrrr we have such a lot to do I am just so nervous about making the right decision as I want it to be perfect but I also do not want to turn into a Bridzilla.

I am going Wedding dress shopping in February at a place in Milton Keynes I found it by accident as my head office is up there it is called www.onceinalifetimebridalwear.co.uk. The ladies that work there are lovely and so helpful and I cant wait start trying on....

ahhh it's so exciting...

We're going to see them next month to go through the menu and put everything together.

I picked my dress last month have gone for the attached http://www.chanticleerbrides.co.uk/item.asp?item=31&img=36&catid=1&collid=13 in a champagne with a addition to the train to have a lace frill sounds vile looks lovely (the picture doesn't do the dress justice) but will look fab after i loose a dress size.

Lizzie that dress is stunning I love the Maggie Designs and Chippers you will have the best time shopping for your dress, it was one of the most exciting days.

Lizzie I am Originally from Hertfordshire moved to brum about 7 years ago, we are getting married at St Margaret's church on chapel lane (if you know Birmingham) it's the hubbys family church so will be nice for the in-laws. are you all booked in for 2010..??

Chippers have you got everything booked yet? are you getting married at Moxhull as well or just the reception at Moxhull.??

Speak soon, Natalie x

• Yay, more Moxhull buddies!!!

Lizzie, i tried Sabelle on when i went to the wedding show at the NEC, its beautiful and they offered me a great price but i wanted to try others on first and have the trying on dress experience!!

Arr how exciting, you've provisionally booked! I had a great big smile on my face all the way home!! What date did you go for then?

We also went to see a few other venues, but nothing compared to Moxhull, it was all i could think about when we went to view other places!

Your photogrpaher price is a bargain! Ours costs up to £1300 for a top package! Yes, we're having a civil ceremony there, we're not churchy people and wanted everyone to be in the same place for the whole day.

we really want a band too - however Moxhull will only let you have certain bands that they recommend on their supplier list as they've has some poor performers in the past and dont want to ruin the reputation of Moxhull - fair enough!! We had a quote from The Poptarts, who are both a live band and also DJ, but they quoted £1300!

We're hoping to find a cheaper alternative...does anyone know of a good band?

I've been with my H2B for nearly 3 years, we have no children yet but planning a honeymoon baby!!

Natalie, i think your purple colour theme will work lovely at Moxhull, are you having the marquee? It will look great in there!

We're still deciding, but im quite liking dusky pink, coffee brown and maybe a hint of aubergine or ivory, a bit of an antique feel, just cant decide, its so difficult!!!

Chippers - ooh exciting you've had your goody pack through, have they given you any prices for the evening food? We're thinking of having bacon rolls which i think is a fab idea! If im ever down MK way, i'll check out that bridal shop you're going to, it looks great!

Please keep in touch ladies, its great sharing our ideas!!! xx

• Also, forgot to mention, there is a wedding fayre at The Belfry Hotel (1 mile from Moxhull!) on Sunday 1st February, which would be useful for those who need to check out local wedding suppliers. I need to find a florist and cake maker!!

They are also offering free wedding hair and make up trials on the day, you just have to book through www.justexhibitions.co.uk.

We're going because we've booked a string quartet, Bellini Strings, and they are going to be playing there!

xx

• Natalie, your dress is really lovely, very chic !! I'm so excited about wedding dress shopping, but i'm holding off until a couple of months - i'm trying to lose a few pounds first!! xx
    May 2010 will be lovley , thanks for heads up on the belfry i went last year and it was a good day will be going again this time round as well to get some new ideas. I was hoping to book a band for moxhull haven't broached this with them yet so will maybe have to go and see them about this as the band are excellent...!!! hmmmm

A friend of mine is a beautician and runs her own salon and will go out to clients also i have a g-friend which is based purly on call out I will post you some numbers as if they can't help on the day they will be able to guve you some good contact for local beautician/hairdress that will come to you.

I have also looked at Bellini Strings, we're still in thinig what to do for the pres drinks/dinner thing...

it's nice to have some girls to chat to... sometimes i think my head is going to explode!!

Happy shopping Nx
  • Tilly , beautiful dress !!!!

We have provisionally booked for a Thirsday in 2010 - not keen on the thursday but as i said above its cause its our 10 year anniversary that day ! We are going for a meal at start of feb and after that have to let them know if were going ahead or not.

Did everyone have to pay £750 deposit ? this is steep compared to alot of places.

Lola, out of curiosity what price did they offer it to you ? im not sure if its the one , not to fussed on the back and the netting .

They never told us about the band only being able to use people they reccomend - thats gutting !!!!

do you have the list you could email me ? we have budgeted 1k for band and ideally i wanted to come in less !!!

Were going to have the hog roast in the evening !

Im worrying im not making the right decision with venue ( not that i have any concerns with moxhull ) , just wondering if its nerves , so keep looking back at paper work for other venue we liked, they cost the same but the other venue is close to home and we would be getting married in a church then and having a chocolate fountain for what moxhull is costing for civil ceremonyy and no fountain - moxhull is nicer though just not sure if other venue is more us and relaxed if you see what i mean ?? x
  • Natalie, yes i agree, my heads feels so full of wedding ideas and too many decisions to be made, im glad we booked 2 years in advance to give me time to plan!! Oh yes please, if you could email me your friends contacts for beauty etc that would be fab, thank you so much!! See you at the Belfry!!

Lizzie, yes we had to pay £750 deposit, then we have to pay another £750 in May (12 months before) then the balance 1 month before...

I think the sabelle dress was £1400 on the peg, but they said i could have it for £1100, as this was the first dress id seen i wasnt sure if this was a good deal or not!

Dont worry about your nerves, i felt the same, but ive heard such good reports and feedback I know i wont be disappointed with Moxhull. At the end of the day you need to decide whats most important to you?? Would you sacrifice a choc fountain for a fab wedding venue and great hog roast food!! I'm probably a bit too biased ha!!

I havent got the supplier list to email you, Moxhull gave me one but im sure they'd send you one if you asked, plus it might have been updated with more bands!! I can always email you the numbers thats on the list I have if you need any?

• i was quoted £1200 for sabelle and could get an extra 10 % if brought on a maggi designer weekend.

Hmm vanessa showed us round and she said £750 deposit the rest was due 2 months before ?? how odd !!!!

i will ask moxhull for list when i go in.

The other venue is the smae price just with the extras of choc fountain and church , thats just how i tell them apart ! lol

would have hog roast at either.

moxhull is def nicer ! just other very relaxed 2 mins from home , could walk from church to venue.

think im just panacking though as when i looked round moxhull it made me feel like i could not believe i had even considered the other venue !!! x
  • Hi all

Morning owwww just read all your replies it is so nice to know just by reading them all that we have made the right decisions. We haven't been to see Moxhall since we booked it. So I'm ringing today to book a meal thanks Lizzie for the idea.

Tilly your dress is beautiful I'm soooooo excited about picking mine. We are getting married at Moxhall I think that we are going to have traditional vows we did think of writing our own but me H2B is quite shy and I am just really worried about getting to emotional and then have the pressure of lines to remembering. I am also having my sisters and new sister in law to be to do a reading and really want a harpist but h2b is not keen on the idea he prefers a string quartet decisions decisions.

Has anyone thought about there hendo yet????

My sister and best friend are organising mine and it is really hard as I have a massive spectrum of ages from 18 to 68 they were thinking of going to the Malmaisson in Leeds spa day champers etc a bit of shopping as Leeds has a great shopping centre and then evening meal and the Malmaison have a private room which you can eat in which I though was a great idea so you can be loud and not have the rest of the restaurant looking at you and then all the ones that want to go clubbing which is just round the corner and great can and those that want to stay can stay in bar which is really lovely can. They have some great package starting off from £99 I am really conscious that sometimes hendo's can be really expensive and sometimes over the whole weekend and a lot of my friends have children ect what do you think ???????? oww also I do not want to have to wear the whole learning plates and vaile do you think I am being a spoil sport ??? :\?

Paula

:\):\):\):\)
  • Hi all

Morning owwww just read all your replies it is so nice to know just by reading them all that we have made the right decisions. We haven't been to see Moxhall since we booked it. So I'm ringing today to book a meal thanks Lizzie for the idea.

Tilly your dress is beautiful I'm soooooo excited about picking mine. We are getting married at Moxhall I think that we are going to have traditional vows we did think of writing our own but me H2B is quite shy and I am just really worried about getting to emotional and then have the pressure of lines to remembering. I am also having my sisters and new sister in law to be to do a reading and really want a harpist but h2b is not keen on the idea he prefers a string quartet decisions decisions.

Has anyone thought about there hendo yet????

My sister and best friend are organising mine and it is really hard as I have a massive spectrum of ages from 18 to 68 they were thinking of going to the Malmaisson in Leeds spa day champers etc a bit of shopping as Leeds has a great shopping centre and then evening meal and the Malmaison have a private room which you can eat in which I though was a great idea so you can be loud and not have the rest of the restaurant looking at you and then all the ones that want to go clubbing which is just round the corner and great can and those that want to stay can stay in bar which is really lovely can. They have some great package starting off from £99 I am really conscious that sometimes hendo's can be really expensive and sometimes over the whole weekend and a lot of my friends have children ect what do you think ???????? oww also I do not want to have to wear the whole learning plates and vaile do you think I am being a spoil sport ??? :\?

Paula

:\):\):\):\)
  • Doh sorry posted 2x

xx
  • I think were going to go to alton toers, think they have a spa there, great fun hotel rooms and water park plus the ones that want can go on the rides .

• EleBranEleBran Posts: 556
    Hi all,

I am too a Moxhull-er!

We provisionally booked for 23rd April 2010 - but we only booked last week, and so I am trying to get my head around it - I did love 2 other venues in the area aswell - but we went for this one.

Now I stress that we have made the right choice - all reviews online are brilliant, and the staff there seem very very nice - and I am sure we will have a fantastic day.

I just stress lots!

We are getting married in Church, the onto Moxhull - looking at around 75 in the day, and then perhaps another 75 in the evening.

I hope the marquee is big enough!!!
  • I cant wait to go for meal next moth and confirm if we wnat to go ahead !!! think its just nerves as moxhull is stunning comapred to other venue !!!!!

Yay for us !!!!!

xxx
  • Lizzie, i've just checked our booking form and it does say that a second deposit of £750 is due 12 months before, at least its a way of paying it off in installments!! Do you feel less confused about your booking or are you still not sure?

ExcitiedMrsB, you've def made the right decsison, and you get married 2 weeks before us so you can tell us all about it!!

The marquee fits up to 150 i think...

Does anyone know if we can have more than 60 in the day if we have a civil ceremony there? The reason i ask is that moxhull brochure says the ceremony room can hold 60 people INCLUDING registrars and bridal party!! I think we'll have more than 60 arghh!!

• From what i can remember marquee fits 180 , ceremony room max of 60 !!!!

Lola prefer the 2nd instalment not to much in final payment to find !!!!

feeling a lot more happier today , just excited baout going back !!!!

xxxx
  • EleBranEleBran Posts: 556
    On one of our viewings, they had had a wedding the night before, and Tony said there were more than the allowed amount so he said looked the other way when the extra few walked in the room haha!

Tony seems very helpful, and sure he will be as flexible as possible Lola - just give him a call!