Forum home Archived Live web clinics

Welcome to our wedding fashion webchat with Ben de Lisi

Hi everyone

Welcome to our wedding fashion webchat with designer Ben de Lisi who will share all his expertise with you - he's got everything you need to know about how to make the best of your dream wedding gown - whatever your style, shape or budget!!

If you'd like to ask him a question, simply click "post reply" in this thread and type your question into the box. His reply will appear in the same thread (but please bear with us if we get busy, your question will be answered as soon as we can!)

Enjoy yourselves

Webmaster.

• sonia62uksonia62uk Posts: 341
    Hi,

What's going to be chic for bigger girls next summer as far as bridal fashion goes? Will my China blue taffeta gown (not yet ordered tho!) make the grade? My theme is shabby chic with hydrangeas and old candelabras etc...?
  • bendelisibendelisi Posts: 15
    Are you the bride? If so what made you pick that colour and not white?
    Thank you so much - I'll let the dogs know they have a fan!
    I am the Bride yes...I wanted white until I saw the dress, I loved it straight away, its very pale and I just thought it stood out and would be a dress that people remembered rather than just say "Oh what a pretty dress" but then forget it beause it looks like every other dress they've seen! The designer was the only one I'd seen whose dresses didn't age me. I found the lace on a lot of the dresses ageing and just not me.
  • Hiya

Is it okay to wear a fascinator headband and a bird cage veil? Would that go together with a view to the veil going after the ceremony and the fascinator staying?

Thanks in advance

There is nothing wrong with wearing a colour to get married in - and I think its very important for a bride to love her gown. I would suggest however that perhaps on your invite you say do not wear blue so that none of your guests wear the same colour as you. It sounds as if you have fallen in love with this dress if I were you I would buy it immediately. Good luck with your wedding
    Ahh good thinking! I do love the dress. Thanks for the advice! Can't believe I'm chatting to BEN DE LISI [girlie squeal] !

Seeing you on the TV will never be that same!
    To NYEMRS

Regarding wearing a fascinator and a bird cage veil, personally I think it could be a bit much to wear them together. I would suggest that you wear the veil to get married in and then the fascinator for later. Of course I have not seen either and if they were subtle enough it might work
  • wendyhhunterwendyhhunter Posts: 278
    looking forward to the beginning of 2010, do you think that the fishtail gowns will still be in fashion? also, I have read that strapless gowns will be moving over at last to be replaced by straps, do you agree? thanks.x
  • loweyukloweyuk Posts: 64
    Hi,

I've chosen a dress that reminds me for something out of a period drama (Kate Sherford 'Yasmin'), I choose it because of the detail on the back. I think a long veil suits it best, could you tell me the difference between a floor-length and a catheredial veil? is there a difference? and do you recommend somewhere I can get one at for a reasonable price?

Thanks
    to wendy-cham

Wow you are getting organised if your wedding isn't until 2010. I think fish tail gowns will always work as a wedding dress shape - they are very glamorous. Re strapless gowns - again I think they are a classic shape but I agree that strap details can be beautiful - I particularly loved the red strapless dress that I designed for Kate Winslet for the Oscars a few years ago - I added a garland of flowers across her shoulder so that she wasn't completely bare and it added texture rather than a plain strap
  • wendyhhunterwendyhhunter Posts: 278
    i know it's ages away - in my defense, january 2010! i know the exact dress you're talking about - it was truly beautiful and really suited kate's shape. you are a wonderful designer. all the best and thanks for the reply.
  • Hi Ben I am wearing Riviera by Ian Stuart and have opted for a full length veil which I am having made with scatters of swarovski crystals. I just wondered what type of jewellery you would suggest to wear. I think it is going to look quite dramatic so didn't want to go OTT, would you suggest keeping jewellery simple? Is there any particular type of necklace you think would look best?

Thanks a lot!
    to kirsty80

A cathedral veil is a grand veil and suits a formal wedding - it would be longer than the train of the dress - does your dress have a train? Floor length would just touch the floor and be the same as the dress. We sell veils in our boutique - they are silk tulle with a tiny edging and can be made to whatever length you need - they are £120 per metre
    to heenan to be

What is the neckline of your dress? Are there crystals on your dress too?
  • loweyukloweyuk Posts: 64
    Thanks for the help. My dress as very very small train, like a puddle I guess. Our wedding venue is a grand country house so suits the look/style of a formual wedding. I will have a look at your boutique.

Thank you very much!
    kirsty80

I would suggest you get a veil that is 6 - 10" longer than your dress - good luck with your wedding!
  • KWallNO1KWallNO1 Posts: 64
    Hi Ben, Im wearing Coco Latte by Ian Stuart in aubergine which is a chocolate brown with almost a purple shimmer when catches the light. I also need help with jewellery ideas as I need something slightly more subtle ....or not? Im having to grow my short hair as I tend to have dramatic cuts and colours so Im going for conservative hair but wearing a feather fascinator. Am I a babbling bridezilla?
  • (This post has been deleted.)
  • JessyBukJessyBuk Posts: 29
    Hi Ben,

I was thinking about having a short just over the knee dress but my Mother-in-law/bore thinks you shouldn't ? What do you think? And how can I make it look elegant?
    to k4ti3

is that an image of the dress you will be wearing?
  • looloo1uklooloo1uk Posts: 92
    Hi Ben , I am wearing Maggie Sottero 'Coco' for our wedding in August 2009 and initally saw myself wearing a long catherdral style veil , however I am now reconsidering and feel a fingertip length or shorter veil would work best . Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! X
    to tinkerbride

Lucky you getting married in the Caribbean - I've just got back from the Cayman Islands where I have been getting inspiration for designing dresses for beach weddings.

I think floor length will be good for a beach wedding - I don't think there are strict rules about beach/church weddings - its what works for you - remember you are the bride! I would keep the jewellery simple - perhaps diamond stud earings

Enjoy your wedding!
  • EmmaC15EmmaC15 Posts: 495
    Hi Ben,

Is it possible for you to advise me on the kind of jewellery I should wear with this dress? I'm also having a cathedral length veil with jewel type things on.

http://www.benjaminroberts.co.uk/vintage_collection.htm

Thanks Emma
  • (This post has been deleted.)
  • KWallNO1KWallNO1 Posts: 64
    Hi Ben, yes that's the original colour version of the dress, Coco Latte
  • KatrionnaukKatrionnauk Posts: 1,026
    Hi Ben,

I ordered Sophia Tolli Audrey - http://www.sophiatolli.com/CollectionProductDetail.aspx?cname=SophiaTolli&did=0&pid=501682&year=2007&season=Fall&

and was thinking maybe a single/double strand crystal choker, as a necklace hanging down would be to much.. would this look right or would i be better off just not having jewellery and let the dress do its thing, as it has a lot of gorgeous swarovski detail on it?

Thank you -x-x-
    to jessy B

Where are you getting married? If its a church wedding I have to say I agree with the mother in law - long is best. However if its a registry office then short can work

Re how to make it elegant - you should buy one of my dresses!
    to looloo1

I prefer full length veils with long dresses - I think they look more elegant . Hope that helps!
  • looloo1uklooloo1uk Posts: 92
    Ok thanks , not having a fitting until christmas! but been playing on my mind!!!Best to have an experts advice! Many thanks XX