Forum home Archived Live web clinics

Welcome to our honeymoon webchat

Hi everyone

Welcome to our honeymoon webchat with Jill and Carlo Nash who write Honeymoons in Style. Their book has over 200 pages of the some of the worlds' finest honeymoon destinations from 8 different locations around the world - so they have all the expertise you'll need to plan your honeymoon!

If you'd like to ask them a question, simply click "post reply" in this thread and type your question into the box. Their reply will appear in the same thread (but please bear with us if we get busy, your question will be answered as soon as we can!)

Many thanks

Webmaster

• JillNashJillNash Posts: 59
    Hello! Good Afternoon!
  • Hi Jill

I am thinking of suprising my H2B and just booking something without him knowing what it is and I was looking at Bali but he likes to be active a lot of the time and hates just to lounge on the beach (crazy isn't it!) and I wondered if you know what kind of activities we could take part in.

Thanks

Emma
    Hi Emma

I love Bali, and its heavily featured in my new book. Its a fabulous destination... and wonderful for those who love watersports (great diving, surfing and sailing) but it does depend on the time of year... when are you thinking of going?
  • We get married this September (leaving it late to book up I know) probably looking to travel the last week in Sept as we have family coming from Oz for wedding and want to spend some time with them after wedding.
    September is towards the end of the 'dry season' so whilst white-water rafting might be a little dried up, the scuba-diving & surfing should be awsome. You could divide up your time easily spend a week at a inland retreat in Ubud and a week in beach huts near the Legian area. There are plenty of activities so he won't be bored... we went on cultural trips such as 'Tanah Lot', we did a diving course and went sailing across to Nusa Lembongan. We spent a month in Bali and still didn't do everything.. if you have time Lombok isn't far either and the beaches are incredible. Hope this helps!
  • (This post has been deleted.)
    Great idea. We did a similar thing and the funds can certainly help you get that 'trip of a lifetime' in before settling down. Central America is pretty easy to travel around, so if you are going to Costa Rica (which seems to tick everything on your list) then its easy to hop across to Belize, Panama & Mexico. Belize is amazing for inspoilt beaches and the Cayo district for nature... so if you can squeeze it in I would recommend it!
  • Ah thanks Jill that's great help!
  • Pippa155Pippa155 Posts: 1,144
    Hi,

We'd love to go to the Maldives for our honeymoon. We've been before, stayed at the Hilton (think it's the Conrad now) and it was amazing...!

We can't decide whether to return there (as we know it was fantastic) or try somewhere new, and risk being disappointed.

Can you recommend somewhere really good? We do a lot of travel, have unlimited budget and are quite Mr & Mrs Smith in our hotel choices. We tend to prefer contemporary and boutique hotels. I'm currently quite taken with Huvafen Fushi as a concept, is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Thanks

SQ

Emma, if you need more help in planning drop me an email as I also plan itineraries too! Take a look at our website www.luxurybackpackers.com

• (This post has been deleted.)
    Hello SQ. I'm a big fan of contemporary boutique hotels too, try looking at http://www.ghmhotels.com I've been to 'The Chedi' in Chiang Mai which was absolutely divine, loads of character, but equally modern and the spa was to die for.

However, if money really isn't a problem then Bora Bora is really something else...we stayed at the St Regis (where Nicole Kidman honeymooned) and although it was ridiculously expensive the overwater bungalows and sense of seclusion was incredible.' We used to like Mr&Mrs Smith until we found out the hotels paid their way into the books which kind of put us off a little....as we thought the're reviews were independent but they aren't...
    Hi Tink. Costa Rica I would recommend 'Lost Iguana' in Arenal (about £50 a night) with incredible views of the volcano from your terrace. ... on the Nicoya peninsula the 'Cala luna' is amazing and is set on the beach. For Belize I loved 'Victoria House' on Amergris Caye.. its colonial style but loads of character about £150 a night so 4 or 5 nights would be perfect for a spot of 'luxury' in-between. My first book 'Global Adventures in Style' for sale on Amazon or my website www.luxurybackpackers.com features all these places and for different budgets too....image
  • PinkPrincess84PinkPrincess84 Posts: 1,560
    Hello! Myself and Fiance love the idea of going to Hawaii but just haven't a clue which hotels are 'hooneymooney', which island to stop at...what to do etc....any help!?
  • MariaandDavidMariaandDavid Posts: 1,055
    Hi,

I'm just in the process of booking my honeymoon & wondered what you thought.

4 days in Singapore at the Pan Pacific

3 days in Ubud at the Hanging Gardens

9 days Seminyak at The Samaya

Have you been to any of these places? I go August/September - have I picked a good time to go?

Thanks
  • blingbrideblingbride Posts: 24
    Hello,

We're thinking about traveling around France for a few weeks to visit some nice villages and chateaus so a relaxing and romantic honeymoon, is there anywhere in particular you would recommend?

Many thanks! x
    Hi Saffabride. Thailand in July...for weather it's a bit unpredictable especially on the islands.... but if you don't mind then I'd start Chiang Mai (1 hr north of Bangkok) for 2 nights at The Chedi (see previous post) its devine. Then fly onto (or get the train depending on how adventurous you are) Koh Samui or Koh Tao. A lovely place is 'Tongsai Bay & cottages' with baths on the balcony...or 'The Library' for more contemporary beach setting...
  • JessyBukJessyBuk Posts: 29
    Hi Jill,

I'm going to Thailand with h2b Monty - we want to visit three or four islands which ones do you suggest?
    Hi Pink Princess (cool name by the way!). I have to be honest with you I haven't personally been to Hawaii yet, but I haven't heard great things about it from those people who have been there on honeymoon..... if you haven't made your minds up, are still debating but would like a 'beach-hut' 'sea and waves' type place then I would suggest the Fijian islands or Cook Islands instead. ... if you have your minds made up about Hawaii then make the most of it by stopping off in LA or San Francisco on the way for a few nights because they are wonderful destinations with plenty of things to do/see. The main Hawaiian islands to choose from are as follows:

Lanai - great for pampering if money isn't an object

Molokai - more indigenous Hawaiians and culture

Maui - where most other honeymooners stay & big resorts

Oahu - hustle & bustle

Take your pick!image

Hi Maria & David. Nice itinerary - although 4 days in Singapore is a bit longer than I would go for. There isn't an awful lot to see there, once you've done 'Raffles' Singapore slings and Sentosa Island.. there are only really shopping malls left. 2 nights is plenty and I would either extend your stay in Ubud or spend 2 night on Nusa Lembongan at Bali Hai Tide huts - they are lovely basic beach huts on the beach which offers you a different experience of Bali altogether. Seminyak is a good choice - make sure you eat out at Ku De Ta its a really lovely restuarant .... August /Sept should be end of 'dry season' which should be OK.. but bearing in mind climate change anything can happenimage Just keep an eye on the weather reports and if you book independently check out the hotels cancellation policies if you get there and the weather is awful you might want to move on... x
  • krobins1982krobins1982 Posts: 193
    Hi there,

We're getting married on 18th July 2009 and are currently looking at honeymoons but there are so many options it's confusing!

We were looking at a twin centre holiday maybe safari then beach or city and beach. We're not really thrill seekers and would be happy with watersports (jet skis etc) and good entertainment. Concerned about weather, conflict areas (travel agent advised against safari because of this) and lack of entertainment.

Please can you recommend something for us?

Many Thanks xxx
  • Pippa155Pippa155 Posts: 1,144
    Thanks Jill! x
    Hi Blingbride! France is another destination featured in my new book... I used to live in France so I know it v. well. If you haven't been to Paris before I would start there ( 3 nights maximum) and stay at 'La Villa' which is a small intimate B&B, full of charm and character. From Paris you should go to Chateau de Versailles for a day trip and take a picnic with you... from Paris you can either take a luxury train, bike or fly to reims for a champagne tour ... spend 2/3 nights at Chateau les Crayeres and then make your way South. There are many places / chateaux along the way and if you are not going peak season (i.e. July August) then you should find they have rooms. I'm a big fan of www.relaischateaux.com for romantic places to stay check out their site... If you are interested in more info then please get in touch with me on [email protected]
    Hi Saffabride. Yes it can rain that time of year... but it usually doesn't last too long. Keep an eye on the weather reports before you leave (with climate change I guess there is no place that the weather is Guaranteed). If you book independently (i.e. direct with the hotel and airline) check ou their cancellation policy. If there does happen to be a really bad spell of weather then you can probably check out and head further South (i.e. to Indonesia) without costing you much more... hope this helps!image
    Hi JessyB. For me the best islands in Thailand are Ko Samui, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Pha Ngan, Koh Tao and Koh Samet.... all different ..
    Hi Krobins. You have the right idea splitting your honeymoon up into 2 parts... we have just come back from a safari 'Ulusaba' (Virgin property) in Kruger National park and it was really amazing, and we didn't sit still the entire time. The evenings they had amazing bush BBQ's and some nights had live music. Tanzania is also incredible for a safari, but don't head to Zanzibar at the moment as there are a few problems there with electricity. Mozambique is great for beaches, I would highly recommend 'Indigo bay' in Bazaruto (its safe and beaches are unspoilt). Don't worry too much about the 'danger zones' as if you head to S.A then you probably won't be staying in the places where they have problems. Good luck!
  • krobins1982krobins1982 Posts: 193
    Thanks Jill - are there details of this sort of thing in your book? x
    Hi Krobins. I've featured France, Italy, Morocco, Indonesia, Japan, Australia, South Pacific and Brazil in my 'Honeymoons in Style' book. Including loads of recommendations for action adventures, cultural trips, beaches, spas places to eat and places to stay too........The 'safari's of South Africa are going to be included my next book 'Safari's in Style' which is due out early 2009.image
  • Thanks everyone for asking all those useful questions and thanks to Jill for sharing her great expertise with you all!

Don't forget tomorrow's Honeymoon Heaven week webchat with Season's in Style... see you then!

Webmaster