Forum home Archived Live web clinics

Welcome to our wedding fitness webchat

Hi Everyone

Welcome to our wedding fitness webchat with all yo need to know on how to look amazing for your big day

Elin Tough, is Zest's Deputy Features Editor and resident fitness expert. She covers the hottest get-fit-quick trends and exclusive tips from top trainers.

Andy is from the Third Space gym in London and has over six years experience in the fitness industry, working both as a trainer and manager at fitness clubs outside of London also. His expertise include weight loss, flexibility and core and balance training.

So they've got all the experience you need to help you get fit and in shape for you big day!

If you'd like to ask them a question, simply click "post reply" in this thread and type your question into the box. Their reply will appear in the same thread (but please bear with us if we get busy, your question will be answered as soon as we can!)

Enjoy yourselves

Webmaster.

[Modified by: Web Master on 08 April 2009 09:41:05 ]

• Hello,

I am getting married at the beginning of August and I would like to lose a stone before the wedding. I would appreciate any tips/advice you could give me. I lost some weight about a year ago after an operation I seemed to have hit a plateau and find it hard to go beneath that weight, which means i loose motivation! Have you got any tips. What specific forms of diet/exercise would be good to help me reach my goal.

Many thanks,

Becca
  • Hi guys

My wedding's in eight weeks (very excited!) but I still want to lose weight and I'm not sure how to do it and still stay toned etc without crash dieting (which I hate!). Do you have any tips on how I can tone up and lose my spare tyre in time for the wedding? I want to look good on my honeymoon! I've not got a lot of willpower...

Thanks! CSx
  • spaghettiukspaghettiuk Posts: 520
    Hi,

im not getting married until august next year, and am on a healthy eating plan hoping to loose about 3 stone. my main concern is how to tone my arms and shoulders. as a mum of 3 and saving i am unable to go to the gym so need to do something at home.

Im lucky as i have a few good walk around here but i really dont think walking alone can help the "bingo wings!"

Thanks, Donna x
  • Hi Becca,

Ok, so firstly you need to look at the intensity of your exercise regime and the type of exercise you're doing. If you've hit a plateau your body could do with being shocked into something new, so whatever you're currently doing - whether that's running, swimming etc, switch it around and try something you haven't done for at least six weeks so that you're exercising different muscle groups and giving your body a new movement pattern to adapt to. Now look at the intensity, try working out for less time but at a higher intensity, to boost your fitness and rev up your metabolism. I'd suggest interval training - run for 60-90 seconds at 75-85% of your maximum intensity, then recover at 50-60% of your intensity, and alternate for 12 minutes. You should also try and do some strength training twice a week (using dumbbells) as this will boost your metabolism and make your body work harder.

Gook Luck

Andy

• adelleheathadelleheath Posts: 205
    Hi,

I am 6ft tall and a size 12 which I am happy with except for the 'spare tyre' around my middle. I get a very bloated stomach and overhang over my trousers. I don't want to be thin as I am so tall, in fact I would like to put on weight in my arms and legs but lose the overhang and bloated stomach. I have started eating better and cutting down on alcohol but what excersise should I be doing?

Any help/advice would be great!

Thanks,

Dellie
  • Hi CS,

With only eight weeks until your wedding you'll need to do some high intensity cardiovascular exercise (running, swimming) as these work lots of muscle groups and will help to burn fat, particularly off your mid section. I'm afraid you'll have to look at your diet rather than doing lots of ab training - restrict your carbs past 5pm, and ensure you eat regularly throughout the day, keeping your portion sizes down. Look at the quality of the carbs you consume - choose low GI options such as brown rice and plenty of vegetables. Keep away from refined or man-made foods such as pasta, bread, and sweet snacks.

Andy
  • Thanks Andy, that's great - I'll start with that tonight! As well as that, are there any particular exercises I can do that will tone up my stomach? Will sit-ups work? they never seem to shift that bit of fat around the hips though.

CSx
  • Hi Dellie,

Firstly, if you find that you bloat easily it could be worth speaking to a nutritional therapist who will analyse your diet and suggest which foods to eliminate (such as those with gluten, lactose and fructose) As far as your workout goes, do a strength workout which includes squats, deadlifts, and if you have the use of an exercise ball try doing simple weight exercise on the ball such as a chest press, overhead press, bent-over row as these will all incorporate core training while also toning up the rest of your body. Aim for three sets of 12 repetitions for each move.

Enjoy!
  • Zest-ElinZest-Elin Posts: 10
    Hi Donna,

As you have a while to go until your wedding, you have plenty of time to focus on losing weight, but you need to start soon. As for toning up your arms, you can do this without even leaving your house if you invest in a pair of dumbbells (1-5kg) To blast bingo wings try the following:

Lie on the floor, with your knees bent and feet flat.

Holding a dumbbell in each hand, lift your arms upwards towards the ceiling, then bend your elbows and lower your arms until the weights are almost touching the floor behind you.

Raise your arms to the start position and repeat 12-15 times.

Good luck

Elin
  • spaghettiukspaghettiuk Posts: 520
    thanks Elin i will definately give it a go.

xx
  • CS

Sadly they won't do a lot for shifting fat around the mid-section as they target a very small group of muscles. Keep a keen eye on your diet for that. But as far as good core exercises go my favourites that hit the core as a whole and therefore work a lot more muscles groups are:

The plank - lie face down on the floor, with your weight on your forearms, toes pointing towards the ground. Then lift your weight and hold for as long as possible, drawing your belly button into your spine, and holding your weight with your arms and toes.

Squats - It might sound bizarre as this is traditionally a leg exercise, but try doing it with both arms raised straight above your head throughout the entire movement. Try drawing in your abs at the top and see if you can hold them as you squat down until your knees are at 90degrees. This will increase core pressure and work a huge group of muscles.
  • Hi Guys,

Im getting married mid August and would like to loose around a stone - if this is possible? I joined the gym 6 months ago with really good intentions but only went once! In the past two weeks I have realised that its make or break and have been to the gym 3 times a week. I have been to a spinning class and running on the treadmill. Can you suggest anything specific exercises that i should be doing? Like the others, i have a tyre that I just cant seem to budge. Also, Im vegan but a very funny eater - mostly i eat pasta. I have just read to stay away from pasta, is that completely or avoid eating it everyday?

Thanks x
  • hhksandhuhhksandhu Posts: 46
    Hi,

I'm not getting married until july 2010. I'm a size 10 but i have a problem in that all my fat is around my hips and on my legs. I've always had that bit of podge on my inner thighs, and when i exercise it goes down but i have never been happy with the shape of my thighs. i go to a bums legs and tums class once a week, and am planning on starting to go to the gym on a regular basis. is there anything that you can recommend for getting ur inner and outer thighs more toned. Unfortunately i have weak knees so I try not to run on the treadmill, but if i walk on a treadmill at an incline is that better for burning fat?

Thanks

• Hi Andy and Elin

I have been going to the gym since January (new year's resolution) but don't seem to be losing any weight or toning up very much.

I only need to lose about half a stone (maximum one stone) but really want to tone up my legs and tum... I would get a personal trainer but i can't find the budget for it with the wedding coming up!

can you recommend a gym plan for me if i were to spend about an hour in the gym 2-3 times a week?

Thanks for your help

DB xx

[Modified by: Dorsetbride on April 07, 2009 05:10 PM]

• I'm getting married in august and have been going to the gym 4 times a week, pilates once a week plus eating pretty healthy too. Unfortunately at 5ft 2in it's quite difficult as any weight looks pretty obvious on me. Can you suggest the best way to lose fat/weight at the gym - at the mo I've managed to get to 15 mins running (which I hate but I think it good for me) plus 15 mins cross trainer or rower - then weights and stomach.

Thanks Charlie
  • Mrs D,

If you're going to eat pasta, start by halving your portions and only eat it when you're at your most active (on gym days) Pasta is broken down into simple sugar so it only gives you a quick release of energy, which if you don't use it, will be stored as fat. You're on the right lines with your spinning class and running sessions, but don't fall into the trap of doing the same routines over and over again as your muscles will adapt to the movement. Generally you'll experience the biggest gains/weight loss in the first 4-6 weeks of any routine, so train smart and change your workout every month. Add a swim into your routine, and make sure you add some weights too.

Andy
    Hi H,

If you have weak knees you definitely need to focus on low-impact strength exercises. Legs, Bums and Tums will give you some base strength, but try a few other weight-based classes too, such as BodyPump. But make sure you speak to an instructor to make sure you're following the right technique to avoid injury and maximise the workout - this is really important. If you're using the gym try the adductor machine which works your inner thigh and the abductor which works your bum and outer thigh muscles. Aim for three sets of 12 repetitions.

Elin
    Hey DB

If a real personal trainer is a little out of your price range, try a virtual alternative. Websites such as www.iamsuperchick.com have free training programmes you can follow at home, outdoors or in the gym. And if it's just certain exercises you need a hand with, check out www.videojug.com for step by step videos.

However, in my experience investing in a personal trainer can be really worthwhile - even if you just book one session a month to keep you on the right track.

Elin
  • Hi Charlie,

Great, so you've made the commitment to do 4 sessions per week so you should definitely being seeing the gains. If you have that volume of training i would suggest splitting your days up. So on one day do upper body work and then complete lower body exercises on the next session, try:

Upper:

Rower - 1500m at a moderate-high intensity and try to complete as fast as you can, then aim to go a little faster each time.

Cross Trainer - some sort of hill programme which give a bit of a burn and make you really use your arms.

Then add your upper body weight - try and use free weights when possible i would suggest - chest press, shoulder press, lat pulldown and some bicep and tricep exercises to work the arms. (Ask an instructor to show you how to perform these)

Lower body

Running - continue as you are - I would aim to go faster now over the 15minutes rather than going for longer

Try using the bike - if possible do short bursts 60 seconds as fast as you can then 60 seconds slowly to recover, repeat for 10minutes.

Then add your leg weights - include: squats, leg press and lunges to work all the big muscles.

As the workouts are split you can focus on each area at a higher intensity.

Hope this helps

• Thanks for the advice - will try this from tomorrow especially as I've been doing this for 6 weeks and need a change!

Charlie
  • Hi Andy/Elin

I really want to lose some weight and tone up before my big day, but realistically I just don't have an hour to spare at a time. I work long hours so could probably fit in a half hour here and there. Is there anything I can do in this time that will be really effective. It's the usual toning - tummy, thighs and bum, plus arms and generally about a stone off all over!

Thanks

Hels
    Hi Hels,

There are plenty of things you can do if you've only got half an hour to spare. If you don't even have time to leave the house, invest in a workout DVD. Many have a selection of 10 minute workouts to choose from, so you can mix and match according to how much free time you have. Alternatively, to burn some calories and help tone your arms and legs, invest in some light strap-on leg and arm weights and next time you do the housework, give it some welly! Try and incorporate some lunges and squats when you're washing up or hoovering - it might sound mad, but it really will help.

If all else fails - head outdoors and power walk for 30mins - not only will you burn around 150 calories, but walking has the added bonus of giving your heart and lungs a workout too.

Enjoy!
  • Hi everyone

The experts will now just answer the remaining question

Thank you very much to them for sharing all their expertise with us...

Don't forget next week's webchat on eco-friendly receptions!

Many thanks

Webmaster
    If you want to take your workout outdoors this summer, look out for the fabulous 'lose a stone' plan in the June issue of Zest - out 27th April. There are plenty of other bride-friendly treats in there too, including discounted spa breaks and fake tan treatments.

Enjoy and good luck with your pre-wedding fitness regimes!

Elin