Forum home Archived Live web clinics

Welcome to our beauty webchat with Color Me Beautiful

Hi everyone

Whether you're doing it yourself or getting in the professionals, Veronique has got all the expertise you need to help you look gorgeous on your wedding day - from the moment you walk down the aisle and until the last dance.

Veronique is the Director at Colour Me Beautiful will be joining us to give you all her expert advice until 5:30pm

She has written books such as Colour Me Confident, Image Matters for Men, Colour Me Younger and Be a beautiful Bride - so has all the expertise you need to be a beautiful bride

We'll keep track of all the questions so no one will be missed out, but please bear with us if we start to get busy.

Please do make sure that you post within this thread (by clicking "post reply" at the top or bottom of the thread) as unfortunately we're not able to answer questions posted elsewhere in the forum.

Many thanks

Webmaster

[Modified by: Web Master on 22 September 2009 16:02:51 ]

• VH2VH2 Posts: 17
    Hello Everyone,

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and hopefully help you to work out your sartorial challenges when choosing your dress and those of your bridesmaids.

Also, if the man in your life is having trouble working out what he should be wearing on the day, we can help him too!
  • Hello, I am getting married abroad and I was wondering if you have any top tips to help my make up stay on in the heat. Also what can my hubby to be use to stop his face looking shiny?

Thanks Helen
    Hi Helen,

It's important that you use a good base for your make-up and also apply loose powder to help the make-up settle; your hubby to be can also use a translucent loose powder (really!) to keep the shine off. That's what they do on television under the warm lighting.

Enjoy the sunshine!

• Hi there,

I am in a bit of a quandry about my wedding make up. I normally wear quite bold colours on my eyes (especially purples as they bring out the green) but everyone tells me my wedding make up should be quite natural as that comes out best on the pictures. What would you advise as I still want to look like me on the day...

Thanks

M x
  • Hello, I would be really grateful for some advice on covering open pores and redness.

Thanks
  • HI

I am looking at a black and ivory dress. Only I don't want to have bright colours with it. For the rest of the theme I would really like dusky rose and vintage creams with tiny hints of black but I haven't seen this combination anywhere. Will it look ok? xx
  • VWBrideVWBride Posts: 207
    Can you recommend a really good foundations that will last all day?

Do I need powder base coat etc etc aswell?

xx
    Hi M,

It sounds like you have a 'Dramatic' personality. On your wedding day you should be yourself (as you said, you want to look like you) and wear the dress and the make-up that you feel confident in. However, you must be aware that those pictures of you are going to be around on display for a long time and you want to be able to look at them and feel you looked fabulous. So, you don't want to over do it, even if you are a 'Dramatic' personality, but remember that your make-up needs to last all day too. Maybe tone the colours of your make-up and let your dress show your personality too. Also be aware that wearing a lot of make-up needs frequent readjustment. If you're not quite sure how to balance dress and make-up to suit your personality on the day then maybe go and see a colour me beautiful consultant who will be able to help you.

Enjoy!
    Hi Ads1,

again, a good make-up base and most importantly use a mint skin adjuster to cover the redness (we have one on our website)
  • I have chestnut brown hair, grey eyes and pale skin (although I do tan in the sun). My dress is diamond white with silver lace.

What colours would you recommend for my wedding day make-up?

ETA: That is me in the pic, but I have since dyed my hair back to its natural colour.

[Modified by: Sally Bowman-to-be on September 22, 2009 04:39 PM]

• Hello

I also wanted to ask about blocked pores. Is there really anything (e.g. facials with extraction etc) that can get rid of them or make them smaller??? Or, is it really just a case of trying to make them look less obvious with foundations, concealers etc? I find the beauty counter advice on this very confusing and worry they are just trying to sell me expensive products that in reality will make no difference....

Also, I wondered how long before the ceremony you would recommend a bride's make-up is done ideally (assuming no transport time to get to venue)?

Many thanks in advance,

Hi Mystery Lady,

Congratulations! Black and ivory will look striking with your colouring. When you say the rest of the theme, i assume you mean flowers, bridesmaids, tablecloths, etc. If this is the case, I would suggest you keep to the pinks - not too dusky though - as you want to keep the striking colour combination. If you choose a pink make sure it's a bluish-pink which you can mix with ivory flowers. The table arrangements could then be a mix of your pinks and blacks.

Hope that helps!
    Hi VW Bride,

I can only recommend our very own Morning Light Foundation range! However, whatever you use, just make sure that it blends in with your natural skin tone. You need a good primer as a base before your foundation; apply foundation with a sponge or brush. Next, if necessary apply concealer to hide any blemishes (or dark circles etc) and finish off by using a large powder brush to dust the whole of your face with loose powder.

You'll be gorgeous!

• JAG22ukJAG22uk Posts: 197
    I am blonde ( highlighted) with green eyes and pale skin, with rosey red cheeks. What colour make up would advise that will suit me on my wedding day? I love make up and experiment with lots of different styles and colours.

I am wearing a white dress and I'm thinking of having dusky pink or dramatic red roses.

Thank you for your help.
  • Hi.. I'm wearing a red and ivory dress (red is my favourite colour) when we get married and I want to pair this with a nice red stayon lipcolour to match but i'm always stuck on what colour to wear on my eyes . My eyes are bluey grey and i have should hopefully have pale skin by then (please let the winter take these tan lines! lol)

Could you recommend a mineral based foundation powder that won't bust the bank too?

Cheers!

Kelly image
  • Hello,

I wear alot of make up normally and really want to look my best on the day. My dress is very gone with the wind so I am thinking would this look be OK to carry through to my make-up. Also someone has suggested instea of paying for a professional to do my maids make-up (I have 4) just get their eyes done as this will add a finishing touch what do you think?
    Hello Sally,

What a beautiful combination you have chosen. You need to make sure your make-up blends in with your natural colouring and your dress. With your grey eyes I would suggest using some light brown coloured eye shadow with a hint of shine; beware that the shadow is not too shimmery though as it will reflect in the camera.
    Hello Sally,

What a beautiful combination you have chosen. You need to make sure your make-up blends in with your natural colouring and your dress. With your grey eyes I would suggest using some light brown coloured eye shadow with a hint of shine; beware that the shadow is not too shimmery though as it will reflect in the camera.

Have a great day
  • hello,

I've got pale skin (like casper the ghost pale) and warm chocolate brown hair. I would like to wear lipstick of some kind on the day and don't want to feel 'man in drag' as i normally do in lipstick. what shade would you recommend? (I've never found one that i think suits me!!)

thankyou, Ruth : )
    Hi A2010,

You will need to go to a good beautician at least six weeks before the wedding to get a facial and advice. At colour me beautiful we advise on colour and style of dress, colour and application of make-up. Our consultants will do make-up on the day and ideally will do a make-up within 2 hours of your 'I do' moment.
    Hello Mrs2B,

with your blonde hair, green eyes and pink cheeks it sounds as though you might be a 'Soft and Cool' colouring. On our website (in 'Shop By Colouring' you will find a selection of shades which would suit your colouring. Basically, you need to choose soft colours which blend nicely together with a slight blue-pink undertone. With your soft colouring I would recommend the dusky pink flowers.

Enjoy!
  • Hello,

would you recommend that Grooms wear anything on their faces? My H2B's complexion is just fine, but if my make up and face is looking more "flawless" than usual, maybe it'll look funny if he's more "normal" with the odd red or shiny bit on his face.

Are there any products that you would suggest, for example a light tinted moisturiser or powder? In particular something that would easily blend into his stubbly area?

I think that my chances of getting him to a make up counter are ZERO so I'll be more likely to scout around for make up counters that will give me some samples.
    Hello KiteBride,

The 'rules' are that if you wear a strong lipstick you should keep the eye colours more subtle. Go for softer shades of greys with a bit of pink if you like.

We don't do a mineral based powder, I suggest you just try a few out to see what suits your skin best.

I love the sound of your dress. Enjoy!

• sorry for posting this twice but.... just updated my profile pic to show a more recent hair pic!!

hello,

I've got pale skin (like casper the ghost pale) and warm chocolate brown hair. (and blue eyes) I would like to wear lipstick of some kind on the day and don't want to feel 'man in drag' as i normally do in lipstick. what shade would you recommend? (I've never found one that i think suits me!!)

thankyou, Ruth : )

Hello Sara,

Indeed, with such a beautiful dress you need to keep your make-up in line with the look. As far as your bridesmaids are concerned, the eyes take the longest in make-up application so why don't you treat them to have their make-up done on the day by a colour me beautiful consultant. They will feel more confident and happy all day.

Have fun!
  • Hi

I have the problem that I wear glasses and plan on wearing them on my wedding day. Because of them it never looks like I've put any eye make up on even when I make the effort. I'm a pale skinned, blue/grey eyed brunette by the way.

Thanks
  • I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes and fair skin that doesn't tan. I am getting married in December 2010. I don't want to look pasty and washed out on the day, but also don't want to overdo the fake tan in December. I had considered applying tan a few days before the wedding so that it is more subtle. Is there anything else I can do?

I too normally wear quite strong make up colours but would like a more classical look for my wedding day, what would you recommend?

Are there any particular shades of wedding dress I should avoid?

Thanks
    Hello Mrs Goodytobe,

There is nothing wrong with pale skin and warm chocolate brown hair - what a striking combination. Check out the 'Warm' shades in our 'Shop by Colouring' section on our website, those should work beautifully. Of course, do be aware that without seeing you in person, as with all ladies, we can't determine your exact colouring, but this will be a good start.

Keep smiling!
    Hi Mrs Badger2B,

Grooms also need to look like themselves on their big day. If you want you can apply a light tinted moisturiser on the day, if he will let you! Don't force him, he needs to feel confident in his look too.

good luck!
    Hi Aklija,

The advice will depend on your prescription . If you are short-sighted you should use a light or bright eye pencil colour around the eye and keep the eye shadow colours light, avoid dark and black eyeliner which will make your eyes look even smaller. Apply lots and lots of mascara. If you are long-sighted you should apply the darkest colours possible. Use skin adjuster or concealer under the eyes as dark circles will also be magnified.