Forum home Archived Live web clinics

Welcome to Ian Stuart's wedding dress web chat, click here!

Hi everyone,

Ian Stuart is now online and ready to help out with all your wedding dress dilemmas whether they're about style, budget or the best dress shape for your body, so please post your questions here between now and 6pm.

We'll keep track of all the questions so no one will be missed out, but please bear with us if we start to get busy. Please do make sure that you post within this thread (by clicking "post reply" at the top or bottom of the thread) as we may not be able to answer questions posted elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks

Web Ed

• fsm21fsm21 Posts: 471
    Dear Ian,

Thank you for doing this chat and offering your invaluable advice!

I am off to a wedding dress sample sale offered by a well-known designer very soon and I was wondering if you have any good tips on how to get the best out of this experience? I am aware that time is a major factor as B2B's are only given an hour to choose and sample the dresses, and therefore the pressure to make a rapid decision is very intense! To complicate matters, I have done much wedding dress research and already have a favourite dress in another store which I am seriously considering (have tried it on a few times etc) - I am going to this sample sale just to make absolutely SURE I am not missing out on anything, but if I try something I am equally delighted with, how on earth do I decide given the time constraint? Is there anything rational I can do to make the decision easier or is it really an instinctual -gut' feeling knowing you have found -the one'? Thanks!;\)

• ms_catms_cat Posts: 760
    hi ian im a big girl ( size 20 ) at 5'6,and am having my dress made. i just wondered what your opinion is on what shapes/styles suit bigger girls best?

thanks in advance, Lynette
  • Hi Ian,

Have you got any tips for a petite bride? I am only 5 ft, but still want to look amazing on my wedding day, I want to avoid looking like a 'doll'. Are there any styles I should steer clear from? Am I better off getting a bespoke dress made?
  • eaheeahe Posts: 57
    http://www.ellisbridals.co.uk/collections.html dress with gold band

Dear Ian,

Please could you advise me about whether this dress needs a veil? If so any recommendations........ as I'm only 5ft and petite.

Many thanks for doing this web chat

L

• 18vicki18vicki Posts: 217
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for taking the time to do this chat!

I went dress shopping for the first time at the weekend and am amazed at how difficult it is to choose as I have no fixed idea of what I am looking for. I am 5' 4" and a size 6/8 and its really hard to imagine how dresses will look as the ones in the shops are all so big. One of my favourites from the shopping trip was your Palomino in Ivory.

Do you recommend that this dress is worn with a hoop, if having chocolate brown bridesmaid dresses would you recommend the metallic beading or Ivory beading? The one I tried on was Metallic but would like to find somewhere to see the Ivory beading.

Finally do you recommend this dress for someone my size?

Sorry for so many questions!!!

Look forward to your answer and thanks again.

Vicki
  • KaygoldingKaygolding Posts: 128
    Hi Ian,

I have just ordered one of your dresses (Bellagio) and I plan on wearing a hoop with it but we are getting married abroad and the shop I have ordered your dress from can't hire me the hoop to take abroad so I intend to buy one, could you suggest what size hoop I go for and where would be a good place to buy one from please?

Thanks Kay
  • jenfurukjenfuruk Posts: 115
    Hi Ian

I am getting married in September 2008 and have fallen in love with your baroque dress. But I wasnt sure if the dress is meant to have a hoop and if so how big? Id love a big dress so I would love a big hoop with it, but I don't want it to mess up the shape or fall of the dress. What would your advice be?

Thanks
  • flynns_mummyflynns_mummy Posts: 1,631
    Wow!!!! Ian Stuart!!

First of all a massive ************THANK YOU******************* for designing such exquisite bridalwear.

I can't wait to wear my dress on Saturday 6th October this year. :\) PS Red Rose in Sutton Coldfield gave fab service you'll be pleased to hear!

I had been planning on getting your usual satin A line sweep a la Maggie Sottero 2005/6 collections, but I tried on so many I bored myself with them. I then bought an Estes dress by Sacha James which was lovely, but still kept poring over Ian Stuart dresses in magazines. I thought 'sod it' and went to try one on, ended up trying on Florence, Symphony and Frangipani. Loved all three, but both me and my bridesmaid burst into tears when i was in frangipani and they had to wrestle it off me! CANNOT WAIT TO WEAR IT!!!

My questions are:-

1. I have bought 'Frangipani' in platinum with ivory metallic lace. I was planning to wear a cathedral length three-tier ivory veil with swarovski crystals (that I've already bought from Berketex), with ivory shoes. Will this go...? In the shop I tried it on with a rum pink veil, but I'd already bought the ivory one before the dress (I know I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist)...

2. I have bought it two sizes too small image (i'm currently a size 14/16) and they measured me in the shop and they said they would have ordered a size 20. I cried and said that I wouldn't buy a size 20, and ordered a size 16. I'm frantically losing weight, but worst case scenario, the dress alterations lady said she could remove the zip and make it a corset back - will this ruin the dress!!!??? Obviously I don't want that to happen, but I'm wearing MY Frangipani whether it fits me or not. 1st fitting on 13 Aug - wish me luck.

Thanks again for making a girl's dream come true. :\)

Vicky xx
  • elainewukelainewuk Posts: 48
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for being online for the chat.

I have a question that's maybe not strictly within your area of expertise but as a professional who obvioulsy has great style and taste when it comes to dressing brides, I was hoping you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion anyway! I'm going to be wearing a dress that is slimline, empire line and that has a delicate lace overlay and train. My shoes will be quite visible and I can't decide which style would look best to compliment the style of the dress. My preference would be either a closed round-toe shoe, a peep-toe shoe or an open sanda...l? I would love to have your opinion!

Thanks a lot.

Lainey
  • Hi Ian, I suspect you'll be inundated with questions - I will be getting married at the end of August in one of your gorgeous dresses, Portofino in rose/ivory. The only picture I can find of the dress does not, in my opinion, do it justice. I won't see my dress now until 2nd week in August and am now panicking about accessories. I love the idea of a veil, but am worried that the dress doesn't need it, however if I did go for a veil what colour should it be? also what sort of bouquet would sit well with such a full skirt? Any ideas would be really appreciated. xx
  • CeleryukCeleryuk Posts: 3,640
    Hi Ian,

just a quick question...would it be weird to wear a veil with a knee length dress?

Thank you.

celery
  • ianstuartianstuart Posts: 108
    Dear Susannarita, Thank you for your enquiry. I would advise an a-line style that has no defined waistline so that the whole dress is in one piece. This will elongate your body and not cut you in half. Also I would advise high hair and heels. There are many wonderful head pieces on the market at the moment that will give you an extra few inches in height. Good luck, Ian
    Dear Susannarita, Thank you for your enquiry. I would advise an a-line style that has no defined waistline so that the whole dress is in one piece. This will elongate your body and not cut you in half. Also I would advise high hair and heels. There are many wonderful head pieces on the market at the moment that will give you an extra few inches in height. Good luck, Ian
  • flynns_mummyflynns_mummy Posts: 1,631
    Ian, another question (sorry!!).

My colour theme is 'champagne, claret and ivory' - i think the 'platinum' colour is more of a champagney colour. Do these colours go?

Also we've debated long and hard on YYW about this 'to hoop or not to hoop' is the question. What is your definite answer? Vicky x
  • Hi Ian,

I've recently put down a deposit on the most perfect dress which I have absolutely fallen in love with - your own Danube dress!

I'm torn, however on what accessories to wear with it and wanted your advice. I'm really not sure whether wearing a veil is altogether necessary (I'm nervous it might take a little of the magic away from the beautiful lace back) and I'm conscious of not wanting to overdo the jewellery particularly as I'm really keen on wearing a tiara. What would you suggest?

I like the idea of encorporating lace and pearls into the theme of the wedding and have thought about wearing pearls as the theme of my tiara and necklace but that's as far as I've got.

Thanks in advance for your help and thank you for creating the dress of my dreams, I can't wait!!

Christine
    Dear Shoepony1, Thank you for your enquiry. I think Palomino is a perfect shape to wear for your height and size. With regards to a hoop, personally I think it would display the lace train to its advantage but you would also need to consider the venue (ie if it is a small venue I wouldn't recommend a hoop). The dress is really beautiful in ivory. Unfortunately it cannot be made with metallic beading if chosen in the ivory option. We could always add some chocolate coloured beading into the centre of the lace flowers to compliment your bridesmaids. Good luck, Ian
  • Jess17ukJess17uk Posts: 2,381
    Hi Ian, I went for my dress fitting on Friday and my dress beign a two piece requires about 2 inches taken in at the waist and another 4 inches taken in from the corset especially at the bust. I am really worried that this is going to ruin the dress. I did lose weight but not enough. Also I feel the bridal shop ordered about size too big in the first place. I'm sorry for my trivial question but I need to alleviate my fears that my dress will still look beautiful and will not be butchered.
    Dear Kay_26, I agree with you that this style would look more beautiful with a hoop. The one we use in our photoshoots is a hoop with netting (so you don't see the hoop through the skirt). The company name is Jupon (www.jupon.com). The style is number 137 and they offer small, medium and large. I believe they do mail order. Have a great time, good luck, Ian:\)
    Dear Fairybride, Thank you for your enquiry. We use hoops for our photoshoots as we feel they enhance the look of the dress. The hoop we use is from a company called Jupon (www.jupon.com) and the style number is 137. They suit our dresses perfectly and offer small, medium and large. Have a lovely wedding, Ian:\)
  • Hi Ian,

My question is similar to one (not answered yet) below. I have bought the Frangipani dress (Platinum) and am looking for accessories, I am currently thinking something with swaroski crystals and probably silver as that seems to suit both the dress and my skinton better, but they problem I have is that my bridesmaids are in chocolate brown so they will need to accessorise with gold (didn't think of that when I was matching suitable fabric colours). Anyway my question is what would you reccomend to compliment this dress in terms of jewellery and shoes and so you think it matters if my jewellery is silver based vs. gold for my bridesmaids?

And by the way - what an amazing dress Frangipani is, I have noticed a lot of copycat styles this season but none of them are a patch!!

Rebecca
  • mize21mize21 Posts: 623
    Hi Ian,

Again I would like to thankyou for taking the time to come on here and talk to all us brides to be!

I ordered my dress the amazing Chamonix in January of this year. As i am not getting married till July next year and am desperate to lose weight ths shop have agreed to take one more set of measurements in September before submittimg my final measurements. I also wanted to change the back to a corset style which the shop say they will do for me when my dress arrives? What do you think about changing the back or should I just stick with the hideaway zip?

Also another hoop question should I or should I not with the Chamonix?

Thanks again for making my dream dress you really are amazing!

Emma

• KaygoldingKaygolding Posts: 128
    Thanks Ian I tried your dress on first and that was it I didn't need to try any other on, so thank you so much for your wonderful dresses, and I will get ordering my hoop now.

Thank you so much

Kay
  • TrossiukTrossiuk Posts: 137
    Hi Ian (& the petite girls in this thread!)

Just been reading the posts and it seems a few of the girls are relatively short. I just wanted to say that i'm 5'2" and wore your Inez dress to my wedding in February. The dress was truly amazing so just wanted to reassure the other shorties out there they can and will look great in one of your dresses. If anyone wants to see the dress on a normal person, well, here goes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merialc/440141859/in/set-72157600033314668/

Ian, huge thanks for making me a star for the day.

Theresa

• JulyukJulyuk Posts: 1
    Hi Ian!

I'm a 23-year-old future bride, I like to follow the last fashion trends so can u give me some advice about the latest trands in wedding dresses for next year?

Thank u so much

July
    Dear Tomandvicky,net, We are so pleased that you love our style Frangipani. We love it too! With regards to your questions. 1: An ivory 3 tier veil with crystals will look beautiful with Frangipani. Although the dress is platinum, the lower tulle skirt is ivory and will therefore match. 2: Don't worry about having a corset back inserted if needs be. We do this from time to time and it certainly doesn't take away any design features of the dress. The great thing about a corset back is that you can adjust the lace up strap throughout the day thus giving you the option of a tighter or looser fit. Good luck, kind regards, Ian
  • CassieandraukCassieandrauk Posts: 271
    Hi Ian

Really nice to chat to you! I have bought a 'one-off' dress of yours that did not make the collection. Secretly I am glad it didn't make it as its very unique now!

This is me in it! http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5647510

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=1314850971

Sadly I am not this tall and am stood on a box so the train starts a little higher than it appears. My question is, what should I wear underneath - was it designed to be worn with some kind of hoop? If so please can you advise me on the best one?

Ooh and another question, what would be the most effective way to fix the train up for dancing?

Thanks ever so much for my gorgeous dress! image

BBx

• rjhowrjhow Posts: 34
    Hi Fabbride

I am going to answer to this question as I am an expert at sample sales. I think sample sales are fab I have recently been to the Chanel and Jimmy Choo sale and got some amazing items. Here are my top tips:

Firstly plan to be there early. There is always a big queue at sample sales. Secondly I make sure that you have the appropriate underwear on to try on the dresses. If you have already done lots of research then you should know what style of dress suits you. For example if empire waist dress is the best fit when you're at the sale only focus on those dresses. The danger with sample sales is the one can be swept up in the moment and the excitement of the designer sale. The thing to remember is that would you buy it if it were full price not just because it is on sale?

good luck

Jess
    Dear ciggies, Thank you for buying one of our gowns. We have just rephotographed Portofino and this will be posted on our website before the end of June. Regarding the veil, most veil designers have a colour called blush which is a very good match to the blush silk organza used in Portofino. I would advise a long single layered veil so it frames your silhouette whilst still being able to see through to the detail of the dress. Extra flowers can be bought through your stockist to make a head piece as an alternative. Flowers I would recommend are hydrangeas, peonies or roses with lots of green leaves. As there are 4 or 5 different styles of flower on your gown, I would advise a mixture of flowers within your bouquet. Have a wonderful wedding, Good luck, Ian:\)
    Dear ciggies, Thank you for buying one of our gowns. We have just rephotographed Portofino and this will be posted on our website before the end of June. Regarding the veil, most veil designers have a colour called blush which is a very good match to the blush silk organza used in Portofino. I would advise a long single layered veil so it frames your silhouette whilst still being able to see through to the detail of the dress. Extra flowers can be bought through your stockist to make a head piece as an alternative. Flowers I would recommend are hydrangeas, peonies or roses with lots of green leaves. As there are 4 or 5 different styles of flower on your gown, I would advise a mixture of flowers within your bouquet. Have a wonderful wedding, Good luck, Ian:\)
    Dear Celery, I would advise a short boufant veil with a knee length dress. It will give you that 'Jackie O' look. Have a fab wedding, Ian:\)