Forum home Archived Live web clinics

Welcome to Julia Boggio's photography webchat!

Hi everyone

Wedding photographer Julia Boggio is now online ready to help out with all your photography questions, so please post them here between now and 6pm to have an expert answer in minutes.

Please make sure you post within this thread, as we can't answer questions posted elsewhere in the forum and please do bear with us if we start to get busy, we'll get to your question just as soon as we can!

Thanks

Web Ed

• We would really like to have bubbles instead of confetti but I was wondering how these would look in the photos and if it would cause a problem with distorting faces if the bubbles come in front of them.

Also how long should a good photographer take to get the formal group shots - I'm worried my guests will get bored but I want good photos!! Thank you
  • Hi, Angel,

Bubbles are a great option versus confetti. In fact, we had bubbles at our wedding. Unless they are gigantic bubbles, they shouldn't cause a lot of distortion on the faces. Just have fun with them... I got a great shot once where the bride was blowing at the bubbles that were surrounding her.

Regarding group shots, there are two things that will affect how long it takes: 1) the length of your list and 2) the skill of the photographer. I generally recommend to my clients to keep their list to 5 at the most (not including the bridal party shot, which is a given). My suggested list is one group shot of all guests, one shot with your side of the family, and one shot with his side of the family. When you start delving into shots with Uncle Bob and Aunt Milly, that's when it gets long and guests get bored. The best thing to do is make sure that anyone you want in group shots is aware of it beforehand, so that they know not to wander off to the toilet after the ceremony. With the short list above, it should take no more than 15 minutes.

Hope that answers your question!

Julia
  • Thank you, that's great. I love the idea of a 15 minute photo session - and I'm sure my guests will too!
  • What informal shots would you recommend doing? any good particular poses for the bride and groom (as in 'fun' not so serious shots?)

Thanks

Louise
  • Hopes_MammyHopes_Mammy Posts: 5,839
    Hi Julia,

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us today!

I havent got a question for you, but just wanted to say thanks for giving so many of us inspiration for our first dances! your First Dance was fantastic - Oh to be able to get my H2B to dance like Patrick Swayze!

Luv

Paula

• alib69alib69 Posts: 147
    Hi Julia

The above advice for angel_ev is great, thanks! We are hoping to have a photographer who will do this, then take lots of candid shots. At the moment, we are trying to pick between a couple - what tips can you give us when looking for a photographer? We are on a budget, so I don't think we can have anyone for speeches and first dance (this is my bridesmaid's job!)

Thanks

Alex
  • Hi, Louise,

I'm assuming that by "informal" you are talking about pics of you and your hubby-to-be. It's difficult for me to recommend specific informal poses. The poses I do with each of my couples is dependent on their personalities and the relationship I've developed with them. I think the best thing for you to do is look through magazines of all sorts (not just bridal mags) and choose out poses and expressions that you like. And remember that some of the most natural-looking images take the most posing!

All the best,

Julia
  • Katza84Katza84 Posts: 787
    hi julia, do you have any website suggestions to get candid photo ideas?
  • moonieukmoonieuk Posts: 310
    Hello,

We are having a small abroad wedding in Malta, I was thinking about having a few black and white photos. I was wondering what you thought about black and white photos and if you could give me any ideas on what shots might work well with them.

Thank you for the earlier comments on bubbles instead of confetti as that is also something we have thought about.
  • Hi, Paula,

Glad to be of service. I hope you are doing a fab dance for your wedding!

All the best,

Julia
  • Hi, Alex,

The best advice I can give when choosing a photographer, aside from loving her style, is to choose someone that you get on with. On your wedding day, the last thing you want is to have someone with you all day who rubs you up the wrong way.

A good wedding photographer should be someone you want to stay in touch with after the wedding, too - the first bride I ever photographed has had me back to take pictures of both their children. A photographer isn't just for Christmas!

Good luck,

Julia
  • Hi, Katz,

Just do a search for wedding photographers and you'll be inundated with websites. However, I'd recommend looking at magazines, like Vanity Fair.

All the best,

Julia
  • Hi Julia,

I'm getting married in Jan, with a very winter sparkly theme to the wedding. Indoors the venue will be filled with delicate fairy lights to create a romantic feeling . . . however i'm now worried that without strong lighting the photos may look dark rather than romantic. Also with the winter evenings it will be getting dark early too. Is there anything I can do in preperation to make sure I get nicely lit shots of my hubby-to-be and guests . . . and so my gorgeous blingy gown looks bright rather than grey? Is there additional lighting I should ask my photographer to hire?

Thanks for talking to us all today!
  • Katza84Katza84 Posts: 787
    cool thanks!
  • Hi, Moonie,

Most wedding photographers these days shoot on digital cameras, which means that the choice to make an image black & white is made in the post-production stage (i.e. when the photographer is sitting in front of her computer).

Unfortunately, I haven't been to Malta yet, but I would imagine that you'd have some good opportunities for moody landscape shots with the two of you in it. Also, black & white will work nicely with cobbled streets, if there are any of those around.

Good luck,

Julia
  • alib69alib69 Posts: 147
    That's great thanks Julia. Also, can I just ask - one of our photographer has offered us full copyright of the photos. Do you think this is generous of them, as it is swaying us at the moment, or do most photographers offer it?

Thanks
  • moonieukmoonieuk Posts: 310
    Thank you for your comments image

I am really liking the idea now
  • Hi, Bling,

Photographing winter weddings can be tricky, but, if your photographer has the right equipment, it shouldn't cause a problem. I would suggest your photographer bring a video light for lighting intimate photos of the two of you and a set of studio flash lights for bigger scenes. Personally, I use the Broncolor flash system for location work.

I suggest talking to your photographer to make sure that he/she is aware of the specific lighting issues. Forewarned is forearmed!

Good luck,

Julia

• Hi, Alex,

That is generous. Most photographers will not offer copyright on their images, especially at the time of the wedding. My policy is to offer clients the opportunity to purchase a hi-res disc of their images on their third anniversary. This is a personal choice that I have made because I don't want to be responsible for their wedding images for the rest of my life.

Don't make your decision solely based on this. Choose your photographer based on style and personality!

All the best,

Julia
  • Hi

I am never look good in photo's are their any tried and tested poses you can recommend? I really dont want to have a double chin or my eyes half shut in my photo's! In group shots I am always the one with my eyes shut and head turned to the side or mouth wide open!
  • Hi, Fuller,

There are a few things you can do. The first is make sure you are paying attention to your photographer. If she's getting ready to take your group shot, don't be speaking to anyone and concentrate on keeping your eyes open. Just don't let anyone distract you from the task at hand.

If you are worried about double chins, then ask your photographer to take some shots of you from above (you can be sitting down and looking up into the lens). This elongates the neck.

Hope that helps!

All the best,

Julia
  • vics8vics8 Posts: 1,873
    Hi Julia,

Like bling i'm having a winter wedding in Dec 08 but it's going to be outdoors for the ceremony and indoors for the reception. Does your lighting suggerstion apply to both situations?

Also i'm looking for a mixture of set photos and a reportage shots. As a photographer do you like being given a list of the set shots i, for example, am thinking of?

Finally (sorry for all these questions) i'm having a mixture of black and white and colour photographs. Do you choose which shots look best presented in each media or do I get to choose?

Thanks for your help

Vicky
  • Hi, Vicky,

The lighting suggestions I made earlier only apply if you're having a winter wedding later in the day and with limited light. If you are having a winter wedding with a ceremony outside, I'd aim to have the ceremony earlier in the day. Anytime between noon and 2:00 would be ideal. That gives your photographer a good chance of getting nicely lit, natural shots during the ceremony.

Regarding lists, the only list you need to give your photographer is the **short** list of traditional, family shots that you would like. You don't need to write down a list of every moment of the day, like "me in dress, me putting on lipstick, etc..." If it happens and your photographer is there, she should be able to capture it. The point of wedding photography is to tell the story of the day in images. If the photographer has to keep referring to a list, it sort of takes her out of the moment ;o)

That being said, if you've seen an image that you like somewhere, definitely share it with your photographer.

Finally, I would normally choose which images are black & white and which are in colour; however, if a client wants to order a picture and requests one or the other, then that's fine.

All the best,

Julia
  • vics8vics8 Posts: 1,873
    Thank you Julia for all your great suggestions.

My wedding is at 1.30 so, from what you've said, should be ok for the outdoor shots.

Thank you again for your help

Vicky
  • bride74bride74 Posts: 2,840
    Hi Julia, have you had experience of the brides make up being to shiny / reflecting on the photos...? If so what would you recommend? Thanks
  • Hi, Bride 74,

Ah, the shiny faced bride...I have spent many an hour in Photoshop mattifying her face!

A make-up artist would be the best person to ask, as it may affect the products she chooses to use. From my experience, I'd recommend having some powder stashed away in your handbag and a bridesmaid who is on shine alert.

However, if that doesn't work and your photographer is good at retouching in Photoshop, she should be able to fix the issue on any images chosen for your album or ordered by family and friends.

All the best,

Julia
  • bride74bride74 Posts: 2,840
    Thanks Julia, i'll make sure that we have powder at the ready!! I'd hate to be a big shiny mess!! x
  • Hi Julia

We brides can be demanding. Ever been tempted to scream when you know as a professional that what their asking for won't work?

• Thank you for all your questions. I hope you've found my answers useful.

For more info on wedding photography, check out my website: www.juliaboggiophotography.com. I've just started a Blog on there as well, which you can find at http://www.juliaboggiophotography.com/jbpblog/

Good luck with your plans and keep smiling!

Julia x